For the record

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,258 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a big deal if it were just a few I guess... but the looters, thieves, and vandals outnumber the peaceful protestors by far.

You got any evidence to support this accusation?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    It's the wrong message and totally distracts from the real issue, every time... every time.

I would suggest that it does because you choose to let it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Which video will spark the next riot.... next week?.... next month?.... next city?

How about police stop being caught abusing citizens on video?
    FishTX wrote: »
    Maybe they are a little bit smarter than you.

Now you know he is going to report that to a moderator.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,972 Senior Member
    Maybe they are a little bit smarter than you. Most of them are smart enough to employee non-lethal methods of defense first. Pulling out the guns first thing will just worsen the problem.

What video did you watch? There needs to be severe consequences for this type of behavior.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    This ******* that are targeting and attacking police are no better than terrorists.

And we do what with terrorists?
    A simple answer is not always the smartest one.
    It appears the simple solution is to let them burn it down.
    That is the way some who think in simple terms may look at it.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,053 Senior Member
    Now you know he is going to report that to a moderator.

I wonder if I'll get a time out or get banned.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,899 Senior Member
    Self banning? I think that would be really weird to see.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

I wonder if I'll get a time out or get banned.

When you find out please share, I'm curious as to your decision.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Yes stupid people would.
    That shows a closed mind on your part. As I said, I don't necessarily agree with that view, but can understand those who hold it.
    There are worse things in life than being a born cynic.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    When you find out please share, I'm curious as to your decision.

He can't, he's on a time out..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,172 Senior Member
    Rioters are criminals. Mob mentality justice needs to stop using whatever means possible.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Police killing a guy is what started this. And you shitturds want the police to kill more people? Fing brilliant.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,003 Senior Member
    Too many here on both sides see the world (figuratively:rolleyes:) as black and white. Real life unfolds in shades of gray.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    There are differing degrees of criminality, the most minor being misdemeanor disturbing the peace and escalating through vandalism, breaking and entry, theft, arson, assault and sometimes beyond. With increasing measures of response. Its the **** if a person is merely screaming while the person next to him is starting a building on fire and both get gassed, but hey, you indulge, you take the chance the response may be more than you bargained for.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    You're absolutely right, they should have put a seat belt on Gray.
    What the hell is happening to the lodge when I'm trying to be a voice of reason among the name-calling? Steven, is that Apocalypse thread still around?
    Hextall wrote: »
    Police killing a guy is what started this. And you shitturds want the police to kill more people? Fing brilliant.

I bet a lot of those folks just wish that the police would do something. Businesses being burned down and looted and they do nothing. I don't get the stand back and watch mentality. At the start of the Rodney King riot out here had the police jumped in at Normandie and Vermont I think the destruction could have been prevented. Instead Gates gave orders to stand back and watch it grow.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    the sad thing is that in all this, the fact will be lost that a young man was arrested, taken into police custody "without force" (according to the police report), and yet ended up with his spinal cord 80% severed in the process of being transported to the police station, and subsequently died.

I would like to see the explanation for how this happened. I really would. I suspect that whatever happened doesn't exonerate the cops, because if it did, I imagine we would have already heard it.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I would like to see the explanation for how this happened. I really would. I suspect that whatever happened doesn't exonerate the cops, because if it did, I imagine we would have already heard it.

I have an African American friend in D.C. who has spent her whole life living a fairly privledged existence, economically -- and she'll admit as much. Parents who are highly respected college professors, with nice homes in Michigan and New Orleans, which they alternate between. She's been on all seven continents traveling for adventure. Quite accomplished in her own work for the government.

In any event, she (in my opinion, correctly) points out that what's happening in Baltimore is less a reaction to this one event, than a reaction to a long legacy of abuse and mistreatment of an entire community -- this incident merely touched off the fuse. You can't subject an entire community to occupation-style policing for years, and not expect the resentment to build.
    flytrap wrote: »
    That shows a closed mind on your part. As I said, I don't necessarily agree with that view, but can understand those who hold it.

No it shows a mind that is not stupid.
    flytrap wrote: »
    What the hell is happening to the lodge when I'm trying to be a voice of reason among the name-calling? Steven, is that Apocalypse thread still around?

Actually you're not. Defending narrow mindedness and prejudice is not being the voice of reason.
    Buford wrote: »
    I bet a lot of those folks just wish that the police would do something. Businesses being burned down and looted and they do nothing.

Yes because we should always be willing to take a life to defend property. Those people do not deserve to live. Never mind that CVS has insurance.
    I have an African American friend in D.C. who has spent her whole life living a fairly privledged existence, economically -- and she'll admit as much. Parents who are highly respected college professors, with nice homes in Michigan and New Orleans, which they alternate between. She's been on all seven continents traveling for adventure. Quite accomplished in her own work for the government.

In any event, she (in my opinion, correctly) points out that what's happening in Baltimore is less a reaction to this one event, than a reaction to a long legacy of abuse and mistreatment of an entire community -- this incident merely touched off the fuse. You can't subject an entire community to occupation-style policing for years, and not expect the resentment to build.

One of the first objectives in the founding of the NAACP was to stop police brutality and harassment.
    Actually you're not. Defending narrow mindedness and prejudice is not being the voice of reason.
    I'm defending their right to their opinion, not the opinion itself, just as I would defend your right to your opinion. Which I have to say is somewhat Pollyanna-ish. You show the typical Liberal bias, everyone has a right to their opinion but only as long as it agrees with yours. An unwillingness to compromise or consider what others think is a closed mind. It happens among Conservatives as well and is why nothing can or will get done, probably, in our lifetimes.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,172 Senior Member

So mob mentality justice is the answer?

Interesting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.