The problem with living in an age of irony. . .

Is that the people who practice it tend to be really bad at it.

Witness this horrible attempt to ironize white privilege, and the resulting implosion of career and life. For one day, it was the biggest story in the world.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/21/justine-sacco-tweet/4156011/

Replies

• sherb wrote: »
    Witness this horrible attempt to ironize white privilege

You really think this is what she was trying to do?
  • yes, in her own stupid way.
  • Her tweets at the bottom of the story would seem to suggest stupidity and/or an alchohol problem.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Her tweets at the bottom of the story would seem to suggest stupidity and/or an alchohol problem.

This^^^^^...

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    To apply irony to the third power, she'd have to get AIDs while in Africa.

[crosses fingers]
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,306 Senior Member
    I agree with her Dad who called her a #$&%ing idiot.
  • jbilly wrote: »
    her Dad who called her a #$&%ing idiot.

Really?

This guy should get an award for keeping her from working the stripper pole (the first goal for all dads with daughters).
  • Steven wrote: »
    Her tweets at the bottom of the story would seem to suggest stupidity and/or an alchohol problem.

I didn't say she was good at it.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,269 Senior Member
    I actually think it was an attempt at humor. I'll be it mean spirited humor and yes drunk probably has something to do with this also. But do we really have to be representatives of our company's values at all times? Can we not just be jerks in our private lives as long as we comport ourselves properly in our work environments?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/ma...life.html?_r=0
    very interesting follow-up.

Gee, why hasn't that happened to the assembled yahoos here at the Lodge based on the number of offensive posts? Does it mean nobodies watching? Do we even exist?
  • But do we really have to be representatives of our company's values at all times? Can we not just be jerks in our private lives as long as we comport ourselves properly in our work environments?

I'm not here.
    We post anonymously.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I'm not here.

Not sure what you are saying.
    sherb wrote: »

Thanks for this followup. I remember when Biddle got into hot water with his bullying tweet. I read his apology to Sacco on gawker, and I think Louis CK figured out why people are such douches:
  • I actually think it was an attempt at humor. I'll be it mean spirited humor and yes drunk probably has something to do with this also. But do we really have to be representatives of our company's values at all times? Can we not just be jerks in our private lives as long as we comport ourselves properly in our work environments?

Not anymore. I think that was the point of the article.

I think that what will happen is that cultural norms will develop that will at least informally prohibit using information gleaned online. It won't be very long before everyone-accuser and accused-has an online past that they aren't proud of.
  • There's a website called Passenger Shaming that my wife likes. Basically pictures of your typical American doing disgusting things on planes.

There was something on a flight attendant that my wife commented on. All hell broke loose. Can't remember what it was though.
    creekguy wrote: »
    Gee, why hasn't that happened to the assembled yahoos here at the Lodge based on the number of offensive posts? Does it mean nobodies watching? Do we even exist?

Because we are posting on a dinosaur product (the internet bulletin board). Add in some kind of way to easily spread the information like the retweet button and we'd all be screwed.
  • Not sure what you are saying.

You don't know me. I was never here.
    There was something on a flight attendant that my wife commented on. All hell broke loose. Can't remember what it was though.

All hell broke through for your wife?
    Not anymore. I think that was the point of the article.

I think that what will happen is that cultural norms will develop that will at least informally prohibit using information gleaned online. It won't be very long before everyone-accuser and accused-has an online past that they aren't proud of.

Is this a desirable outcome? Have we become the thought police?
  • Is this a desirable outcome? Have we become the thought police?

No it isn't. But its also inevitable.
    creekguy wrote: »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/ma...life.html?_r=0
    very interesting follow-up.

Page not found
  • I try to avoid saying too much that is controversial, and I never do it on social media. As far as I'm concerned, social media is for posting videos of my kids' skiing and the like. I'm envious of private attorneys like BD and Pio. They can say whatever they want. I don't have that luxury.
    No it isn't. But its also inevitable.

People here have posted stuff that I find terribly offensive. But I would never want them to suffer consequences for expressing an opinion.
    I'm envious of private attorneys like BD and Pio. They can say whatever they want.

Can they though? Aren't they treading the same water that Sacco and all the people in the follow-up were?
    I try to avoid saying too much that is controversial, and I never do it on social media. As far as I'm concerned, social media is for posting videos of my kids' skiing and the like. I'm envious of private attorneys like BD and Pio. They can say whatever they want. I don't have that luxury.

This is why I do not tweet. I am also thinking of creating a stage name, so that I can use social media to put out my material and not effect my ability to get a straight job.
    Hextall wrote: »
    Can they though? Aren't they treading the same water that Sacco and all the people in the follow-up were?

Yeah I agree, Sacco was not a public figure either.

Fixed for clarity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.