One gets a little antsy

P.DieterP.Dieter Super ModeratorPosts: 968 Senior Member
a couple weeks before 4 million salmon start showing up in the neighborhood, and stay for over a month. Time to do some recon on some new saltwater locations that work for the pontoon.

[video=youtube_share;IZIkguqdM9I]
___________________________________________________________________________________
it is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it
- Aristotle

Northwest Fly Anglers

Replies

• Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Are those the ones that run every other year? Neat.

bd
  • P.DieterP.Dieter Super Moderator Posts: 968 Senior Member
    yup, thank god. I don't think I could take this every year.
    I think I've figured out a great location for my pontoon in the salt for the early fish on the west side, the later fish come right up the river on the east side of my peninsula. The salt's a little tricky with tides you can't row against and private property. I'm gonna go scout a spot tonight but I think it's gonna be perfect.

At some point I'll go out here again just for the rush of being so small in a big world of shipping...and the sea lions are a little unnerving.

The mayhem of all the fishermen of all levels and ethics is a bit off putting at times but it's a pretty basic human instinct at work so taken in the right frame of mind it can be entertaining in its own right.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________
    it is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it
    - Aristotle

Northwest Fly Anglers
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Of all the things we don't have in Tennessee, I have to say I think salmon runs are probably the coolest.

bd
  • PeddlerPeddler Member Posts: 39 Member
    You can fool some of the people...

That is one of two things...
    Either Asian carp showing off or Lake Erie walleye trying to get out of that water.
    one of the issues is not only am I a little antsy, many of my fishing brethren in this densely populated area are getting antsy. This many fish can easily encourage bad behavior so it is also an opportunity to "check yourself" and confirm you stay true to your ethics and social graces. Makes you also think of what it must have been like in times gone past when all the runs were like this (although the pinks are the only ones I know of that behave like this on the surface. Easy to see how the white industrial fishers moving in here 100+ years ago thought they'd never put a dent in the populations. Now the white industrialists out number both the fish and the native peoples.
    - Aristotle

Northwest Fly Anglers
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    curious if anyone has a theory about the purpose for the jumping behavior in smooth water

I understand why you see it going up either falls or riffles but why in relatively flat waters?
    it is said that some salmon will do this to loosen the eggs and **** in them. These fish don't seem to be doing that. Many pinks will just porpoise and almost gulp air (seemingly). the fish in the video are massed by just about a million and this group is back in a closed off arm of the bay so are rather trapped by banks and body mass...think fire in a concert.

but nonetheless pinks are jumpers and it's one way to know what salmon that is off shore.
    - Aristotle

Northwest Fly Anglers
    went out and scouted this spot for chasing them in the salt from my pontoon. looks like a really good spot and about 2 million of them should go by here in aug. I was hoping for maybe a silver today but alas nadda, but a nice sunrise.
    browns.jpg
    - Aristotle

Northwest Fly Anglers
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,942 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    The spawning run is an incredible sight, after the spawn is done- not so much.

Mike

Na, na, na, na, na...

Atlantic salmon return to sea to spawn again and again, they take dry flies, they taste better and they do not get as ugly when spawning time comes.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

they'rrrrrrre Heeerrreeee.

One wave has moved through but the one that comes right by the house is just moving in. What an amazing place to fly fish from a kickboat
    - Aristotle

Northwest Fly Anglers
    the bay is now open every day (not just weekends). there'll be some time given over to tribal netting but fish while the fishing is good. What a place to greet the dawn....and it's always good to take a pro photographer fishing with you

- Aristotle

Northwest Fly Anglers
    [video=vimeo;28488404]

thank god these fish only show up every two years...otherwise we'd get nothing done at all. (like men having breasts)

leave the house at 5:45, on the water by 5:55 one shy of 4 fish limits by 6:30 (cleaned and on ice) play around for another 1.5hrs catching and releasing many then keeping the last one and home by 9:00. Way cool.
    - Aristotle

Northwest Fly Anglers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file