Home The Lodge

Volume on television

seppalaseppala Senior MemberPosts: 1,916 Senior Member
We recently bought a Samsung tv. The volume isn't great, but it's good enough - except on most Netflix shows.

In the words of Cliff Claven, what's up with that? Do I need to change the settings or something?

Replies

• So this is sorta weird. You, Hextall and me all bought a Samsung smart tv around the same time.

I have no issues with the sound though.
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    So this is sorta weird. You, Hextall and me all bought a Samsung smart tv around the same time.

I have no issues with the sound though.

Huh. The sound on ours vacillates quite a bit on dvd's, too.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,749 Senior Member
    They do that on purpose because they (the TV manufacturers) want you to buy a sound bar or surround sound system.

The volume on my 50" panasonic sounds crappy as well.

With that said, I do notice that online video streaming tends to vascillate every now and then on both Netflix and Amazon video.

Is your DVD hooked up with HDMI cable, component cable or RCA cable?
    I figured that the sound would suck. It's almost inaudible on Netflix, though.
    joe k. wrote: »

is your dvd hooked up with hdmi cable, component cable or rca cable?

hdmi.

Then I would check the treble, bass and possible surround settings on the TV to get the best acceptable sound from the TV speaker. Your DVD player might have some sound output settings as well. I know mine does.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,500 Senior Member
    I bought a Samsung smart TV last year (where I lead, yous mere mortals follow it would appear) and hooked it up to my hi-fi surround system via hdmi. Volume varies from all sources - broadcast, streaming and discs - so I am guessing that it is the media that causes the variation. Some TVs and surround systems have automatic volume control, but anyone who has had a car with this feature knows that it has not yet been perfected.

My system has evolved over the years from stereo to five channel both for video and audio (5 channel DVD and Blu-Ray audio is spectacular, if limited in availability). If it fits your budget I recommend getting a decent surround sound receiver and a set of speakers, including a sub-woofer. You won't regret it.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I actually haven't noticed the volume changing much. Of course now I will. Jerks.

I bought a sound bar with my tv. I don't use it much though... Movies and sports mostly.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Joe K. wrote: »
    Then I would check the treble, bass and possible surround settings on the TV to get the best acceptable sound from the TV speaker. Your DVD player might have some sound output settings as well. I know mine does.
    But seppala is all about that bass, no treble.
    George K wrote: »
    If it fits your budget I recommend getting a decent surround sound receiver and a set of speakers, including a sub-woofer. You won't regret it.

I second this. My surround sound is going on 10 years old now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Buffco wrote: »
    But seppala is all about that bass, no treble.

Its thanksgiving dude...he's all about that baste.

Good to know. I'll check that out.
    Hextall wrote: »
    I bought a sound bar with my tv. I don't use it much though... Movies and sports mostly.

This is confusing to me. I assumed a
    sound bar was in place of the built in speakers. Is it supplemental?
    I second this. My surround sound is going on 10 years

I've got nothing against surround sound,
    but I'll never have something like that in my house. My dad is deaf in one ear and nearly deaf in the other. The first 20 years of my life and every visit home were/are spent being blown away by incredible volume. It makes me feel like I'm going insane.
    seppala wrote: »

My thoughts as well.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,500 Senior Member
    Sound bars and surround sound speakers replace the TV's speakers, which should be turned off or turned all the way down. The line or hdmi input carries the sound signal to the pre-amp, receiver or sound bar that has it's own volume control.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Thanks, George.
    seppala wrote: »
    Supplemental. I can independently turn on the sound bar and the tv. But again, I haven't had issues with sound fluctuating with the tv.

I did get the cheapest Samsung sound bar, and the remotes don't talk to each other other (I tried many times). That's the bottleneck. If I could get everything on the same remote (like the tv remote) I wouldn't use the tv sound.

I currently use 5 remotes. I am going to ask for a harmony remote to get all this on one (maybe two at worst)

Five remotes :
    - tv (controls input)
    - cable box (for a few days the tv remote controlled this, but something happened and it no longer hooks up)
    - sound bar (the tv remote will not work with this)
    - dvd (Mrs Hextall uses this, I never tried to consolidate it)
    - roku

Only the roku is a non-samsung device.
    George K wrote: »
    The line or hdmi input carries the sound signal to the pre-amp, receiver or sound bar that has it's own volume control.

My problem is the remotes... I am just too lazy to have a remote for channel selection and an independent one just for volume. So I only turn on the sound bar when I want better sound.
    Also, I am scheming a way for my tv to work through my WiFi thermostat. Stay tuned to this space for details.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,587 Senior Member
    Also, I am scheming a way for my tv to work through my WiFi thermostat. Stay tuned to this space for details.

Nice. After watching the games yesterday saw about 4000 commercials for the nest and was gong to ask oyu how it was working out.
    So far so good. They are on sale right now and I am going to pick up a second one.
    Guys, I know that a lot of you subscribed to this thread to close the loop on what I do about my remote situation. Last night I got the Harmony 650 and now the work of 5 remotes is controlled by The One.

So, moderators, lock this thread and I'll work on the Next Hextall Technological Crisis.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,775 Senior Member
    I have a good surround sound system and what I find is that after watching either a DVD or Netflix, I switch back to the TV and holy crap, it blasts you out. Seems that the TV input needs about 1/2 or less volume of all other inputs.

And Hex, it's about time you got the Harmony. Best thing known to man.
    The hardest thing about setting up the harmony was trying to find the model number on my dvd player... a B looks like an 8, the O looks like a 0, and the S looks like a 5. Luckily the software offers suggestions based on what I typed and the manufacturer.

You're right... I should have gotten this remote ages ago.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 3,010 Senior Member
    That's the bottleneck. If I could get everything on the same remote (like the tv remote) I wouldn't use the tv sound.

I currently use 5 remotes. I am going to ask for a harmony remote to get all this on one (maybe two at worst)

Five remotes :
    - tv (controls input)
    - cable box (for a few days the tv remote controlled this, but something happened and it no longer hooks up)
    - sound bar (the tv remote will not work with this)
    - dvd (Mrs Hextall uses this, I never tried to consolidate it)
    - roku

My son has a phone app that does all of this.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Guys, I know that a lot of you subscribed to this thread to close the loop on what I do about my remote situation. Last night I got the Harmony 650 and now the work of 5 remotes is controlled by The One.

So, moderators, lock this thread and I'll work on the Next Hextall Technological Crisis.

I wonder if this will work with my Betamax and 8 track..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement