Hey Hextall...

NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior MemberPosts: 9,942 Senior Member
I went on the fat bike ride. What a blast!! I'm hooked!!!

I ended up with the Surly Pugsley. It actually fit me pretty well. Only thing I would do different if I had that bike would be get a stem with a different angle so the bars stand up a little more. The current set up put too much weight on the front tire I think.

No broken collar bones and I didn't wipe out. But...I almost wiped out on a downhill sharp left. There were marks in the snow where others had wiped out.

You use pedal clips on your set up? The one thing I noticed is that my foot would slip of the pedal every now and then due to the snow on my shoes/pedals.

20141227_131830.jpg

20141227_134304.jpg

20141227_132329.jpg

20141227_132410.jpg

20141227_133041.jpg

cee42a04-85a5-4efd-bd80-8b084d0c8588.jpg

20141227_134154.jpg

20141227_134328.jpg

20141227_134330.jpg

Replies

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Awesome. Pugsleys are really loved bikes.

I use flat pedals and not clip less. I got a decent set with really nice pins for my fat bike, made by 45 North. I got them on discount as part of my bike build. I plan on getting a set of Diety compound ones for my regular mountain bike, they are about $45 I think. I can link when I get back to my computer.

I think many people use clip less pedals and boots... But I think the good warm winter boots to clip in are really expensive. But I am not sure.

It is hard to tell from your picture, but most stems can be flipped over to get a different angle. I also have riser bars for a more upright position. I got race face Atlas with my fat bike and bought loaded precision riser bars for my regular trail bike (they had a discount via a facebook code, so I got new a stem, riser bar, post clamp and stem spacers).

We should use this thread to share fat bike excursion pictures to show the other animals that we are winning life.
    I also got pogies for my hands for Xmas. My hands always get cold, and the ones I got are fleece lined so I can wear some relatively thin gloves and keep warm. I can link the ones I got (hand made by some fat bike dude).
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    Did you guys see that dude gnashing a grinder on the FatBike EuroTour Snowapalooza competition yesterday? It was sick, man.

I think he was rocking the tri-stem overhauler seat wheel made by Maxride. I would have totally gone for the dual-stem sprocket for maximum air, but to each their own, you know?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,942 Senior Member
    Now I just need to decide on a bike to buy. The Gravity Bullseye Monster seems to be getting some love on the fat bike forum you pointed me to. Initially I was leaning towards a front suspension bike but after riding yesterday I'm not sure that will be necessary.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Oh... I thought you bought the pugsley.

Front suspension isn't really needed for winter riding, unless the trails get a lot of holes. I might get a suspension fork next summer after a winter riding without. If moat of your trails look like those pictures, seems like having one would be a luxury and not really needed.

Definitely do not get the double stem overhauler like that poser above suggests. It gave me AIDs.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,176 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »

Does this mean you are on a different cycle than Joe?

No. Local bike dealer brought them out for demo days on a new mult-use trail system (X-country ski, snow shoe and fat bike) that has opened up in the past couple of years.
    jbilly wrote: »
    Does this mean you are on a different cycle than Joe?
    I know what this means and I am irrationally emotional about it.
    One thing a lot of people do that buy the online bikes is bring it into a shop and have them repack the bearings (bottom bracket and head set) as soon as they get the bike. The folks at bikes direct sometimes take shortcuts when putting the bikes together.

If you really liked the pugs, there are a lot of used ones out there for sale. Not because they are bad, but because they were one of the first bikes in the game so many people bought them and now are looking to upgrade. There is a facebook group called fat bike traders where I see them for sale all the time. It will open up the used market for you a little bit (over just your local craigslist) because some of those people are willing to ship it at your cost.
    One thing a lot of people do that buy the online bikes is bring it into a shop and have them repack the bearings (bottom bracket and head set) as soon as they get the bike. The folks at bikes direct sometimes take shortcuts when putting the bikes together.

Not a big deal. Can actually do it myself. I used to tear down and rebuild/repack the bearings on my mountain bikes in the past.
    If you really liked the pugs, there are a lot of used ones out there for sale. Not because they are bad, but because they were one of the first bikes in the game so many people bought them and now are looking to upgrade. There is a facebook group called fat bike traders where I see them for sale all the time. It will open up the used market for you a little bit (over just your local craigslist) because some of those people are willing to ship it at your cost.

I will check that out thanks.
    I know what this means and I am irrationally emotional about it.

Don't expect me to get all red faced about it.
    You gotta earn your wings somehow.
    You gotta earn your wings somehow.

This thread is beginning to drip with a bit more than sarcasm
    The tide certainly turned.
    I think this discussion has nearly run it course. Perhaps we should revisit this topic in another few weeks and see if the flow of participation can be increased.
    It was a bloody mess to begin with.
    But now we can have a clean fresh start.
    This thread is now fertile again for some fat bike loving!
    You have certainly implanted your fat bike love within Joe. Congratulations!
    This thread is about a bicycle. Not a menstrual cycle
    Joe K. wrote: »
    This thread is about a bicycle. Not a menstrual cycle

Now who is being irrational and emotional. Guess Aunt Flo stopped by for a New Years visit.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Is this what "fat-bikers " talk about??

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    And i have to say: I have a fat tire bike, its a friend of mine. But, these bikes are Obese Tire Bikes. They look like fun, though.
    The menstrual cycle isn't as fun as the bicycle.
    Joe K. wrote: »
    The menstrual cycle isn't as fun as the bicycle.

Plus, with the right protection, riding a bicycle is way cleaner.
    Any collar bones broke riding the menstrual cycle?
    Only broken hearts.
    Only broken hearts.

As long as you stay on your cycle I can't quit you.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    There is no 900 phone number here.
    1-900-FAT-RIDE

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    1-900-733-8433

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.