Future Christmas without Chinese Chestnuts

FishTXFishTX Super ModeratorPosts: 7,890 Senior Member
"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,033 Senior Member
    maybe the Chinese can start growing their own ****ing almonds and leave us some water.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    This be good GMO..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,115 Senior Member
    maybe the Chinese can start growing their own ****ing almonds and leave us some water.

You should add wine to that list.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    The almond stuff might be my fault, I started doing fish almandine..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,890 Senior Member

Amen!!!!!!
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    jbilly wrote: »

Here is the thing it takes a gallon of water to grow one almond. That is a lot of freaking water in a state where we are being told we have to let our lawns die.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Almonds aren't the only culprit.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/02/wheres-californias-water-going

An interesting piece, especially slide 2
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/lcfs/workgroups/lcfssustain/hanson.pdf

Clearly AG uses the lions share of H20, but what is CA going to do? Quit growing crops? That will do wonders for the states economy. It is a $hitty situation but that state is built on AG.
    The ag interests can use the water more efficiently and almonds suck.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,871 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    The almond stuff might be my fault, I started doing fish almandine..

Mike

I'm also at fault. I started making almond butter and drinking almond milk.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,871 Senior Member
    Here is the thing it takes a gallon of water to grow one almond. That is a lot of freaking water in a state where we are being told we have to let our lawns die.

Because you like to mow the lawn?

I'm happy in late summer when my lawn dies.
    I like almonds and my dad's doctor said dad should eat them to help control cholesterol.

90% of the almonds grown here go to China.
    http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/chestnut/information/conference-2004/conference/davis

Skip down to "Chestnut Memories" on page two. You'll see the importance of chestnuts to the mountain folk, wildlife and the timber industry.

I'm not saying CA should give all its H2O to agriculture, but the state and farmers are going to have some very tough choices to make.
    wrote:
    Almonds are California's largest tree nut crop in total dollar value and acreage. They rank as the largest U.S. horticultural export. Approximately 6,000 almond growers produce nearly 100 percent of the commercial domestic supply and more than 75 percent of worldwide production. Nearly 80 countries import California almonds. The United States is by far the largest market for almonds, overseas, Germany is the largest market for almonds, consuming about 16 percent of the export crop, followed by Spain at about 15 percent. Other major importers include the Netherlands, Japan, France, the United Kingdom, Canada, India, China and Spain. The Pacific Rim nations are a rapidly growing market for California almonds

http://www.qualitynut.com/about_almonds.html

It is going to suck for everyone to have to stop the exporting (granted the AG business did this to themselves and everyone by turning the desert into farm land) but in all likelihood it will be necessary. No water, followed by no revenue is going to make things really tough for everyone.
    I agree and I wouldn't want to stop almond growers either. But they are trying to expand production in the middle of the worst drought in decades. Then they want to blame the environmentalists for trying to save some fish for a water shortage.

We also have a problem with exporting our water out of state in little plastic bottles. Water is a necessity and it is time Californians recognized the lies that are coming from agricultural and industrial interests. Our lawn is not the problem and neither are the fish.

We passed a proposition that is supposed to address our storage capacity, but according to a friend that works in the field, it isn't going to help and it may prevent the recovery of steel head in the Malibu River.
    Anyway back to the Chestnuts. So they might make a comeback? What's gonna be funny is when the anti-gmo folks go off on this.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »

Ah yes, a Yuan Hung Lo Estate Reserve, 2014. A lovely bouquet of coal dust, and a nice finish of PCBs. Lovely.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.