hey, do you guys remember......

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
....when those crazies in Nevada left the Bundy ranch, then walked in to a WalMart and shot those two cops who were sitting there having their lunch, then tossed a "Don't Tread on Me" flag on them?

Remember how the right wing talk radio said "gee, maybe we shouldn't elevate a guy who can't follow the law to the status of cult hero, and really, isn't all this anti-government talk just ASKING for someone to go kill the cops?"

yeah, I dont' remember that happening either.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,318 Senior Member
    JjZHH.gif
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    go-on.gif
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    popcorn.gif
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    I'm a bit slow, and I've had a few bloody Mary's, so pardon:

I don't get it.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    for the past couple of days, I've been hearing how Sharpton, et al -- who have led forceful but largely peaceful protests urging non violence -- are race baiters, are instigating hate and are either directly or indirectly responsible for the shooting of the two NYPD cops this weekend.

Including hearing this from the head of the NYPD PBA.

I don't seem to recall hearing any such claims of "guilt by association" when right wing crazies, inspired enough by Cliven Bundy and his gang of idiot followers that he even visited the ranch for several days, went to Las Vegas and executed two cops in a very similar shooting, then tossed a "don't tread on me" flag on their corpses, claiming they had shot the first rounds in the new (white power) revolution.

indeed, images of citizen snipers with federal agents in their sights "protecting" Bundy's ranch were quite popular among my more conservative friends.

Just noting a certain lack of symmetry.
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    ****, I didn't know about the Nevada cop murders.

I get what you're saying now.
    Or how about Gabby Giffords with a gun sight trained on her?
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,942 Senior Member
    george-castanza-eating-popcorn-seinfeld-animated.gif
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    I find it hysterical that you think I would be gullible enough to believe anything printed on Breitbart.
  • Did I call it or what?
    Yes and it was liberals that were calling black congressmen n****rs. Hahahahahahahaha
    sherb wrote: »

it's hardly difficult to believe, is it? The extremes on both ends often have more in common with each other than those in the middle. In particular, there's a strong libertarian thread amongst both the extreme left and the extreme right -- so having one foot in the Occupy camp hardly negates one's ability to align with Cliven Bundy.

to the extent that they actually DID align --some reports suggest they were invited to leave the ranch because they were "too extreme"

regardless, the point stands -- I don't think anyone I know on the right claimed that those folks were somehow led to kill cops for any reason other than their own deranged head movies.

yet I'm seeing an awful lot of finger pointing right now claiming that everyone from Obama to Sharpton to yours truly is somehow responsible or at least complicit in the recent NYC cop killing, simply for speaking out against police abuse.
    it's hardly difficult to believe, is it? The extremes on both ends often have more in common with each other than those in the middle. In particular, there's a strong libertarian thread amongst both the extreme left and the extreme right -- so having one foot in the Occupy camp hardly negates one's ability to align with Cliven Bundy.

Yes and Gadsen flags were very popular at OWS protests as were semi-automatic weapons.

Please, Breitbart was a liar and his sycophants that have taken over that site are worse.
    I actually don't find it hard to believe. I have friends on FB who are both sympathetic to SOME of the aims of the Occupy movement, and consider themselves Tea Party conservatives. They are for limited federal government, and for an end to crony capitalism, which they see as the root of all that is pathological in capitalism.

I think the traditional boundaries between right and left have been blurred by forces ranging from media balkanization, to dope. I no longer find it very surprising to find people holding views that at one time would have seemed quite a bit in conflict.
  • it's hardly difficult to believe, is it? The extremes on both ends often have more in common with each other than those in the middle. In particular, there's a strong libertarian thread amongst both the extreme left and the extreme right -- so having one foot in the Occupy camp hardly negates one's ability to align with Cliven Bundy.

to the extent that they actually DID align --some reports suggest they were invited to leave the ranch because they were "too extreme"

regardless, the point stands -- I don't think anyone I know on the right claimed that those folks were somehow led to kill cops for any reason other than their own deranged head movies.

yet I'm seeing an awful lot of finger pointing right now claiming that everyone from Obama to Sharpton to yours truly is somehow responsible or at least complicit in the recent NYC cop killing, simply for speaking out against police abuse.

I was just trolling Comic, but I think you make a good point. I think its fair to say that deranged crazies who kill cops (or anyone else) don't fit neatly into a red-blue narrative, much as we would like them to. Instead, they typically pull a little from here, a little from there, until their views are an unrecognizable hodgepodge of crazy conspiratorial nonsense.

I don't think its fair at all to blame DeBlasio for the cop shootings in Brooklyn. He was trying to square the circle, so to speak, and represent all of his constituents. But DeBlasio is a public official, and he knows the score: speak no ill of the cops. If you do, you can expect this reaction.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,693 Senior Member
    Scott,

Bundy is white. Case closed.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.