Republicans in Congress know exactly what it's like for Americans struggling

in today's economy while they are getting paid 3-4 times the average wage in 'Merica

That's why they are hinting that $174,000 a year just isn't enough for what's expected of them

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/members-congress-paid-enough-165641960.html

Gotta love this guy:

"The Florida Capital News reported last week on a speech Steve Southerland, a Republican representative, gave to a retirement community in Tallahassee in which he complained about some of the parts of his new job:

"He said his $174,000 salary is not so much, considering the hours a member of the House puts in, and that he had to sever ties with his family business in Panama City."

A - he obviously wanted the job and campaigned to get it
B - he's **** about doubling his income and likely having far better benies than he did in his family business and not having to pay for them

.... interesting to see the all too familiar Republican squeal ... IMA Victim!

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,370 Senior Member
    Not just Republicans (although they make up the lion's share of the article.) From the article:

At the height of the debate over a possible government shutdown last spring, Linda Sánchez, a Democratic representative from California, said during an MSNBC interview that she was living "paycheck to paycheck" on her congressional salary.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0411/Rep_Sanchez_I_cant_give_up_my_paycheck.html
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    tru dat
    People spend what they make. Fact of life.
    Personally, I think that all of them who are whining about this are being crybabies. As you said, they campaigned for the job. Nobody's forced them to take the job. And if they think they won't need protection, then they might not have the mental faculties to serve as elected, IMHO.
    sherb wrote: »
    People spend what they make. Fact of life.

that may be

but I would bet that if I went to my employer screaming about how I am overworked and needed more pay without anything in results to back it up I would be shown the door ... we have to wait (or rather their constituents) for them to collect a bit more pay before they may or may not be fired
    I don't know. define results. If they block legislation that I don't support, haven't they done their job? And anyway, its a stressful job. All you deal with are know-it-all malcontents. And of course if your name is not Kennedy you could be voted out at any time.
    sure it's a stressful job ... coordinating campaign contributions and wondering if that promised donation will actually arrive can cost you sleep

physicians have stressful jobs ... and there are plenty who make a whole hell of alot less that these crybabies and likely put in as many if not more hours

next I am betting that each of these whiners come election cycle will be thanking all the voters for their confidence and please send me back for more and the moment someone brings up these quotes it will be the all too familiar ... dat's jest da lamestream liburrl media gotchya stuff you betchya
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I think that in this time, it is bad form to complain. But seriously, considering that a new Petroleum engineer with no experience and a freshly minted PhD can get out of school and walk into a $100,000/year job -- I don't think that $174K is extravagant for being in Congress. It is a very high stress job, and I suspect comes with some demands on the personal expenses that are beyond what most of us encounter.
    How does the Congressperson's total benefits and wage package fit into the private sector?

We've been told that other government employees are overpaid relative to the private sector, has someone cranked the benefits of a Congressperson and evaluated their value to see what the total compensation of said employee is?
  • yes it would be interesting to see the $$ sign on their total compensation package not to mention their pension and benefits extended past their holding office
  • I don't begrudge Congress their salaries, depsite the fact that most of them could not earn that much if they were forced into the private secotr. Complaining about $174,000 per year because of the hours it takes is kind of whiney, but literally almost everybody complains about their job on occasion, even those who really love their jobs, it's human nature. For a Congressman, however, it's a really bad campaign move to do so publicly.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,626 Senior Member
    It's a lot.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/uscongress/a/congresspay.htm

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30631.pdf

Salaries

As of January 2010, the annual salary of each Representative is $174,000.[17] The Speaker of the House and the Majority and Minority Leaders earn more: $223,500 for the Speaker and $193,400 for their party leaders (the same as Senate leaders). A cost-of-living-adjustment (COLA) increase takes effect annually unless Congress votes to not accept it. Congress sets members' salaries; however, the Twenty-seventh Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits a change in salary (but not COLA[18]) from taking effect until after the next general election. Representatives are eligible for lifetime benefits after serving for five years, including a pension, health benefits, and social security benefits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives
  • of interest ... last year Congress voted to suspend the COLA for this year ... so maybe this is why the 'new' taking 'Merica back Congres is complaining
  • Not just Republicans (although they make up the lion's share of the article.) From the article:

At the height of the debate over a possible government shutdown last spring, Linda Sánchez, a Democratic representative from California, said during an MSNBC interview that she was living "paycheck to paycheck" on her congressional salary.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0411/Rep_Sanchez_I_cant_give_up_my_paycheck.html

Let her flip burgers in ND.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.