Home The Lodge

Fishing topic, please indulge

HextallHextall Senior MemberPosts: 9,520 Senior Member
I've never mailed a fishing rod. But I'm sending in a rod for a hopeful warranty repair. How do I package it? It's an 11'6" 4-piece spey rod, so the tube is kind of long. Where can I find packaging to mail it out?

Help me, Lodgers, you're my only hope.

And F the main board, there's no one around but us jerks.

Replies

• Don NewtonDon Newton Senior Member Posts: 431 Senior Member
    Take it to UPS Store. They know how to do it. And does the rod require a Return Authorization number? Call the rod maker customer service department. Be sure the RA# is on any document included in the package and clearly written on the shipping container.
  • I would use 2" PVC cut to length. Glue one end with pipe dope, and then cap and tape the crap out of the other end.

That's what I would do, and then when they mail it back you have a bulletproof rod case. But yes, you can buy a box that fits at your local fed ex or mailboxes etc, outlet.

Why do you have a spey rod? And why are you not helping George with Line selection? **** Rury, we needed you.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,626 Senior Member
    Cardboard tube is what I have used. Tape the endplugs real well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I am not sure about the RA#. there was no mention of it when I just got my reply back, but I probably mistyped... it's not really a warranty issue. I broke a tip on a now discontinued rod, and the manufacturer said they have 3 tips and will try to fit the best one. It's a forecast I built a few moons ago, so I'm sending to Batson in WA.
    sherb wrote: »
    I would use 2" PVC cut to length. Glue one end with pipe dope, and then cap and tape the crap out of the other end.

That's what I would do, and then when they mail it back you have a bulletproof rod case. But yes, you can buy a box that fits at your local fed ex or mailboxes etc, outlet.

Why do you have a spey rod? And why are you not helping George with Line selection? **** Rury, we needed you.

So you suggest not boxing up the rod tube I already have?

I built this a while ago for exactly one place... a particular shoreline of Lake Winnepeasakee to fish for salmon. There was a public walkway behind some apartment buildings in Alton, NH. The winter I bought it... the building burned down and they built condos and restricted access. So I've used it here or there (including some beach striper fishing). I broke it a while ago and it's sat in my to-do list for a long time. I thought maybe I could build a new one this winter so I asked Batson for recommendations, but then they told me they have extra tips to try and fit.

I have a the Rio Versi-tip system, but I really don't know what I'm doing. So I kept my **** mouth shut.

This is the only picture I have of it... and it's so old I had to go into my photobucket account to get it. Like some kind of 1500's explorer.

IMGP0624.jpg
    Also, the tip broke while casting, which also adds to the theory that I don't know what I'm doing.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I like the triangle boxes you get at UPS store. If one doesn't work. you can tape 2 together. The good thing about the triangle is it won't roll off the conveyor belts. I would also use the tube you have for it.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • FlyfisherFlyfisher Member Posts: 95 Member
    I have used those triangle boxes also, taped together, but I think they may have been Priority Mail boxes from the post office.

However, the last couple times I just went to a local fly shop and they gave me tubes with end caps in the size I needed, and at no charge. I think most of the fly shops keep a supply of these tubes around just for that purpose.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    I like the triangle boxes you get at UPS store. If one doesn't work. you can tape 2 together. The good thing about the triangle is it won't roll off the conveyor belts. I would also use the tube you have for it.

Mike

I've used those boxes as well

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    I've done the PVC route. More peace of mind for me.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,273 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I would use 2" PVC cut to length. Glue one end with pipe dope, and then cap and tape the crap out of the other end.
    Or put a screw top fitting on the other end with a screw cap and then tape that. It'll be more secure since it would have to unscrew if the tape came off. Have them return the rod with the same pipe and you have a storage tube for the rod.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • yeah, that would be good. Better than my idea.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    ... it's not really a warranty issue. I broke a tip on a now discontinued rod, and the manufacturer said they have 3 tips and will try to fit the best one.

Just pay for the **** tires you cheap ****!
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »

lol...

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Shawn C. wrote: »

ha... I shouldn't be allowed to vote due to this felony.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.