West Yellowstone Advice

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 10,038 Senior Member
I'll be fishing there the second week of September, staying in town and fishing mostly in the Park. Any advice for those who have fished there at that time of year would be appreciated. Between age and arthritis I'm pretty much limited to easily accessed streams.

A float trip is part of my plans - most likely on the Madison for the big browns if the timing is right. Anyone have any particularly good or bad experiences with the guides from the several fly shops in West Yellowstone?
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    The only place in the park that I have really enjoyed fishing is in the Lamar River drainage. The Lamar itself and it's two main tributaries are spectacular. The rest of the fishing in the park is 95% scenery and 5% catching dinks. Sure, the browns running out of Hebgen to spawn may be great, but I have yet to experience it. If you are going to fish the Lamar Valley that late in the season I would include a four wheel drive vehicle and winter clothing as essential gear!
    If for some reason the Lamar is too far away then I would entirely blow off the park and fish the Madison of Gallitan.

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,560 Senior Member
    I'd be hitting Hebgen Lake for the gulpers... excellent second coming of the Callibaetis in Sept.
    Also huge cheekers in there.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,038 Senior Member
    Find a copy of Fly Fishing the Yellowstone River An Anglers Guide by Rod Walinchus & Tom Travis.

Thanks. I ordered a used one today.

Anyone have a recommended guide out of West Yellowstone or Gardiner?
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Little brother and I fished a great drake hatch on the Lamar in late sept - one of the mot memorable days of fishing in my life. Do not skip it
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Lamar River and Soda Butte Creek are the best spots in Sept, at least for those looking for easy road access. You might also try the Firehole in Sept as it does drop in Temp if the nights are cool. Also the lower Madison both in the park and also near Hedgen Lake and again below the Hedgen Dam. Stop in at Kelly Galloups Slide Inn near Reynolds Bridge for great flies and advice. Course there's 3-4 good fly shops right in West for the same. Great Time to be there!!
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,331 Senior Member
    My only advice is that you swing by and pick me up on your way.
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    327 steps on Uncle Tom's Trail. I also saw my first ever bear in the park in Lamar valley. It was awesome. As for the fishing I am no help.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,373 Senior Member
    Maybe your son could help.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Maybe your son could help.

Ha ha. Wait. I think I'm angry.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
    We just never fish in the park. Spend most of our time hiking. If I did I'd go in Lamar Valley area.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,373 Senior Member
    Yeah, I think if I went to Yellowstone, I would have to be there for a couple of days before I fished.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George K wrote: »
    I'll be fishing there the second week of September, staying in town and fishing mostly in the Park. Any advice for those who have fished there at that time of year would be appreciated. Between age and arthritis I'm pretty much limited to easily accessed streams.

A float trip is part of my plans - most likely on the Madison for the big browns if the timing is right. Anyone have any particularly good or bad experiences with the guides from the several fly shops in West Yellowstone?

George,

Did this happen?
    Steven wrote: »
    George,

Did this happen?

The trip was a disaster. I came down with a severe upper respiratory tract viral infection and a bacterial one in the urinary tract. And it snowed one day when the temps went to 18F and 20F the nights before and after.

Floating the Madison was not fun. High fast water, 39F at the onset and 15-20+ mph winds all day. Three small trout and two good size whitefish was the day's catch.

Fishing in the Park was bad, I caught nothing worth noting and, worse, saw no one else doing any better. Each day was either too cold or too sunny for BWO hatches in the Lamar area. Guys I know who were about an hour above Gardiner said it was worse there. They came down to the Park hoping for better luck, but as Nero Wolfe liked to say "Hope often is disappointment postponed".

Were I superstitious I would say that I brought this on myself by my choice of travel companion - an unabridged audiobook of Moby ****. At least I survived and a great white bear did not destroy my rental car.
    I kept reminding myself "It's called fishing, not catching". A day and a half in Cody at the Buffalo Bill museum complex was fun.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about the weather and fishing. Hope the next trip nets you many nice fish!
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    That's bummer. The museum is pretty great, though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.