The Best Thing About the South

1235»

Replies

• seppala wrote: »
    Why don't you stop critiquing fine eating establishments and go back to **** about jeans with George Will?

You anywhere near Centralia?
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    That's three hours south of me. Got a couple friends just up the road in Patoka.
  • So, you're not down down state.
    Nope. North-central.

Far enough downstate, though, to consider everything north of 80 and east of 39 to be Chicago.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,156 Senior Member
    I've never been farther south than Chicago, but I understand the southern edge of Illinois is a truly dismal place
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • George K wrote: »
    I've never been farther south than Chicago, but I understand the southern edge of Illinois is a truly dismal place

I had a buddy from Centralia (he now lives in Shreveport). Whenever he got drunk, he'd go on a rant about artificially inseminating cows (he grew up on his family's dairy farm). I'd laugh so freaking hard I couldn't breathe.
    My buddy A.I.'s cows for a living. He's the best around - hands like butter.
    George K wrote: »

I'm in the middle of River Horse by William Least Heat Moon. He mentions that the whole Little Egypt area is not a great place to live. Even Dickens hated it.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Comic I had the chicken fried steak from Cracker Barrel last night. Not bad, but they don't serve alcohol.

Did you wear your overalls, or did you dress up with jeans?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,286 Senior Member
    I think you are expected to bring in your own jar.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    creekguy wrote: »
    Did you wear your overalls, or did you dress up with jeans?

This ain't one of them fancy places, like Long John Silver's or Captain D's. Overalls are fine.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,370 Senior Member
    seppala wrote: »
    This ain't one of them fancy places, like Long John Silver's or Captain D's. Overalls are fine.
    You don't even have to snap both gallusses.
  • They did not serve alcohol. I blocked out everything after that, since I knew I'd never be going back.

The other funny thing that happened was my wife asking how the chicken and dumplings tasted. "I wouldn't know." Said the waitress. " I never eat here."
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,869 Senior Member
    I have the terrible dilemma this week of having to go on travel for work. Where I will be has a Bob Evans close by and a Cracker Barrel. I have eaten at the Bob Evans for breakfast (really how bad can you mess up eggs) but never tried cracker barrel. Am I missing out?

Instead I think I will hoard my per diem and go out to a nicer dinner.
  • jbilly wrote: »
    I have the terrible dilemma this week of having to go on travel for work. Where I will be has a Bob Evans close by and a Cracker Barrel. I have eaten at the Bob Evans for breakfast (really how bad can you mess up eggs) but never tried cracker barrel. Am I missing out?

Apparently I'm not getting through to you people. They. Don't. Serve. Alcohol.

Honestly jbilly the food isn't that great. I'd save your per diem.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,869 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Apparently I'm not getting through to you people. They. Don't. Serve. Alcohol.

Honestly jbilly the food isn't that great. I'd save your per diem.

Well I probably wasn't going to get tuned up before going into my meeting ;) Though I suppose it would make things a hell of a lot more pleasant. I will skip them both and go out for a nice dinner.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    BTW, I have a student who works at a Jimmy John's. He says its the worst and to never eat one.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,156 Senior Member
    My late wife once worked at a "special ed" school. On her first day the other teachers warned her never to eat in any of the local fast food places, because many students worked at them and would boast of the nasty (some really, really nasty) things they put into or on the food.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,639 Senior Member
    Chain restaurants (pick any of them) are all bad from a nutritional standpoint. It's the reason this country has an epidemic of obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure.
1235»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.