Elephantopus_carolinianus_Carolina_elephantsfoot_20140924HebSp_020_850x606_.jpg

Lobelia cardinalis:

Lobelia_cardinalis_20140924HebSp_055_850x1100_.jpg

Replies

• Don NewtonDon Newton Senior Member Posts: 431 Senior Member
    And not to be out done by "weeds" -

My first mosquito ever on the Little Red:

20140924HebSp_047.JPG

Having this blood sucker IDed on BugGuide.net. Note the mites.

And Aphonopelma hentzi, Texas brown tarantula:

20140924HebSp_011_850x850_.jpg

Its name is Charlotte Beth or Charlie Bob, awaiting gender ID from experts. "CB" for short.
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    Dang! Great pictures, Don! That cardinalis is the deepest red I've ever seen!

What takes you to Arkansas?
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,154 Senior Member
    Very nice shots.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,780 Senior Member
    I prefer the weeds.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    seppala: Home is where the heart is - but for a few good things I miss about Georgia, I am happy to be home and near my children and home waters. I also landed a part time "job" at the Ozark Angler in Little Rock. Really enjoy the merchandising, the learning from customers and studying fly rods and flies. I am sure to run into one or two grumpy folk, but I know how to get them ungrumpy. Think I'll spend my remaining 30 or so years here, as a home to come back to from further adventures.

Cheers,
    Don
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,868 Senior Member
    Did that mosquito bite you before you were done with the shot?

Looks like it might already be taking the plunge.
    Don:

Good for you! I always just assumed you were Georgian by birth. I'm back home again, too, though unfortunately we moved here for family at the expense of outdoor recreation opportunities. There's still plenty to do, just different - deer and mushroom hunting instead of grouse; bullfrogs, turtles, and panfish instead of trout and northern.

Much to my chagrin, I've never set foot in the Diamond State. Would love to visit sometime, for trout and smallmouth and some music in Little Rock. One of these days...
    seppala, you'll be welcome here. Where you living now? I know of a nice little cabin, VRBO, right on the Little Red River that would make for a wonderful gathering place of us'ns troutbums. As soon as I can, I will have a week or so up there in Heber Springs, AR.

I/we were born in Dayton, Ohio. Army Air Corps/Air Force and other things kept the family on the move. Settled in Georgia. Dad was a Newton from the western branch of us Newtons; Mom was a Newton from an adopted branch of the family, James Alexander Newton, he of South Carolina artillery at Gettysburg and elsewhere. I am an American by birth and Southerner by the Grace of God!

Tuesday or sometime next week, I'll drag my camera and Rosie Grace and Ms Scout up there. Whole lotta pictures need be taken. I'll wear my snake boots.

Cheers,
    Don
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,154 Senior Member
    Don Newton wrote: »
    seppala: Home is where the heart is - but for a few good things I miss about Georgia, I am happy to be home and near my children and home waters. I also landed a part time "job" at the Ozark Angler in Little Rock. Really enjoy the merchandising, the learning from customers and studying fly rods and flies. I am sure to run into one or two grumpy folk, but I know how to get them ungrumpy. Think I'll spend my remaining 30 or so years here, as a home to come back to from further adventures.

Cheers,
    Don

Enjoy the new P/T job, it will provide you with great opportunities for learning and gear acquisition.

After I retired to Carlisle, PA and before wanting to look for a "second career" full time job I worked for six months in a fly shop. My earnings were minimal, but the experience was great. I learned more about local waters and tactics in those six months than I would have in six years on my own. Through that job I was invited to become a LeTort Regular and the Harrisburg Flyfishers and met people like Lefty Kreh, Ed Shenk, Ed Jaworowski (then a Winston rep just retired from Villanova, who turned me on to fishing for hickory shad), Charlie Fox, Dave Whitlock, Ed Koch and more.

You also will get very substantial deals on gear direct from the manufacturers - think 60-80% discounts on what may be cosmetic seconds, but that is a small issue at those prices.

Enjoy!
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Don:

In the middle of corn and bean fields in central Illinois. Not real exciting country.

But I get to fish the same places where my grandpa fished in the 20's, and my 5 year old nephew had his first boat ride yesterday, then worked up the courage to drive it for a while: 3a69e7cec10acd652143dacc4a6206b6.jpg

So it's worth being back here.
    That is a very serious, concentrating countenance!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.