White Privilege

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,213 Senior Member
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Good article. Prejudice and Privilege have co-existed since the dawn of time. To deny this is to deny reality. To deny that WASP's in this country do not enjoy a privileged position is ludicrous. As long as we continue to have an underclass in this country we will have situations like Ferguson, there's little doubt in my mind.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,456 Senior Member
    I love Bill O'Reilly. "I am not racist. I just believe that black people are morally, socially, and intellectually inferior to white people and let me bring out a stereotype of another race to prove my point."
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,900 Senior Member
    "I am not racist. I just believe that black people are morally, socially, and intellectually inferior to white people and let me bring out a stereotype of another race to prove my point."

I believe you.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    What we have to acknowledge is that American inner-city blacks have made very little progress in the last few decades. So what have been the policies followed in that time?
    Does emphasizing a sense of victimization and anger have a role in restraining progress? Regardless, what policies will work?
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,213 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    What we have to acknowledge is that American inner-city blacks have made very little progress in the last few decades. So what have been the policies followed in that time?
    Does emphasizing a sense of victimization and anger have a role in restraining progress? Regardless, what policies will work?

The permanent underclass has so little hope that it stifles the ambitions of those trying to join mainstream America. It's probably too late to do much about the vast majority of them. Early education programs might conceivably help future generations, but property tax based school funding in an era of tax resistance does not offer much cause for optimism. I have no solutions, only awareness of some of the issues involved.

We saw the traditional approach in Ferguson. There has to be a better way.
  • bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory."
    Aldo Leopold
    It's part of the mentality, along with keeping one's peers from breaking out of the mold. Black unwed birth rates also are a legacy of slavery and the breaking up of slave families via the auction block.
    A legacy left over from the auction block. Oh OK.
    I thought you were going to blame Bush.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory."
    Aldo Leopold
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,706 Senior Member
    Someone needs to pay for those 15 kids

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    6 million Jews killed during the Holocaust. I'm guessing quite a a few families destroyed. Do they have a high unwed mother birth rate? That seems like a much worse legacy to have with. But what do I know, I'm a ****.
    Aldo Leopold
  • George, your spelling error is making me crazy. Can you fix it? I cannot focus on this issue until this is done.
    George K wrote: »
    It's part of the mentality, along with keeping one's peers from breaking out of the mold. Black unwed birth rates also are a legacy of slavery and the breaking up of slave families via the auction block.

No it is because black people are morally and intellectual deficient and inferior to white people. That is the only possible answer.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,900 Senior Member
    No it is because black people are morally and intellectual deficient and inferior to white people. That is the only possible answer.

You keep saying that.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I have no doubt you have no idea what you just typed.
    sherb wrote: »
    George, your spelling error is making me crazy. Can you fix it? I cannot focus on this issue until this is done.

You want Whitey instead of White?
  • Someone fixed it!

<fistpump>
    sherb wrote: »
    Someone fixed it!

<fistpump>

I did. Once you pointed it out I was too ashamed to leave it there to torment you. (blushes)
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,900 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »

But there has got to be more it than this. It took me a long time to find this, but I remember having a similar discussion some years ago with one of my buddies who was (since changed jobs) a sociology professor. We talked about black marriage rates over time and he informed me that during the late 1800s and early 190s blacks had a higher marriage rate than whites. This changed dramatically during the 1970s/80s. So the unwed black birth rates has not been an issue since slavery times.

Unfortunately I can't seem to cut and paste from the link so here it is:
    http://www.census.gov/hhes/socdemo/marriage/data/acs/ElliottetalPAA2012presentation.pdf

See the marriage rates near the very end of the presentation

Now I am not trying to say that unwed birth rates have nothing to do with it. I agree that is a huge problem. But that problem has been a much more recent problem than back in the days of slavery. In addition the unwed birth rates, while I agree are much higher with blacks, they are also very high with Hispanics and are also becoming quite numerous by whites. Again, these problems are rooted more in the 1970 and 80s though.
    Aldo Leopold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.