Should the beheading video be censored?

Censorship probably isn't the right word. Private companies like Youtube and Twitter can legally suppress whatever they like. Its more a question of values than legality. What do you think?

a couple of takes.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/08/22/james-foley-video-grim-but-owe-him-bear-witness/wWG9Jkprv49QJbA28BG8wM/story.html?hootPostID=79ba05eb3a096252ee6396187b55f1c8

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/08/21/twitter-facebook-executives-arbiters-see-read/

Replies

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,868 Senior Member
    I don't think they should. I don't like how 9/11 coverage has been censored. Bad $hit happens in the world. We can't play like it doesn't. Now I am not going to sit here and watch them over and over or obsess over them; however I think people should be able to decide or themselves to view it or not. Censoring it will not undo it so why hide it...who are we protecting by this?
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    The children, of course.
    sherb wrote: »
    The children, of course.

LMAO..of course, how silly of me.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,780 Senior Member
    Limited censoring to minimize children seeing it. Other than that, no. I won't watch it myself, but how can I say if it is right for others to watch it. A problem with allowing it's use is misuse of it, but people use information for evil intent all the time.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,891 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    Limited censoring to minimize children seeing it. Other than that, no.

This.
    It's good to watch it keeps up the anger and shows people what these nutjobs actually do. A lot of folks just don't realize how brutal these nutjobs actually are.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    Limited censoring to minimize children seeing it. Other than that, no. I won't watch it myself, but how can I say if it is right for others to watch it. A problem with allowing it's use is misuse of it, but people use information for evil intent all the time.

Yeah I am fine with something that at least makes you play like you are 18 to view it; however parents shouldn't be letting their kids be watching whatever they want on line anyway. If people are worried little Jbilly Jr will see something bad then maybe they shouldn't let them have free reign of the computer.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,265 Senior Member
    I don't see what value it offers. I am not one to support censoring something. But it does kind of freak me out that some elementary school kid might find it and dare all his friends to watch it. So I have to ask, what value is there in protecting it?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,895 Senior Member
    I've watched only one beheading video. It was the whole thing. I've seen some messed up stuff online but that was the worst.

I don't think it should be censored. Same with 9/11 videos.
    Now imagine if when you saw that you were an 11 year old child.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • I don't see what value it offers. I am not one to support censoring something. But it does kind of freak me out that some elementary school kid might find it and dare all his friends to watch it. So I have to ask, what value is there in protecting it?

It offers the value of clarifying rather than obscuring the nature of the enemy. I feel that has to be worth something.
    Isn't that clear enough by simply knowing the act was carried out, do you really have to see it to make it real?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,370 Senior Member
    My thoughts: have an age verification method in place to make sure the viewer is over 18. Maybe a YouTube Adult channel or something like that. It can be out there, just don't leave it out there for everyone.

I'll never watch one, but that doesn't mean I don't think other adults should be prohibited from seeing it.
  • I think in some ways the unvarnished truth is more real . In the infancy of the internet I saw a video of a Russian soldier get his throat cut by Chechen rebels. No amount of narrative regarding the violence of war could convey what that two minute video did.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,891 Senior Member
    I think in some ways the unvarnished truth is more real . In the infancy of the internet I saw a video of a Russian soldier get his throat cut by Chechen rebels. No amount of narrative regarding the violence of war could convey what that two minute video did.

Exactly.........
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    Let me put it this way you are talking to a guy that won't even sit through the movie Saw on commercial television. So the thought of my little nephew coming in contact with it freaks me out. I also think this stuff appeals to people with a morbid fascination with this kind of thing and will only serve to excite them.
    My thoughts: have an age verification method in place to make sure the viewer is over 18. Maybe a YouTube Adult channel or something like that. It can be out there, just don't leave it out there for everyone.

I'll never watch one, but that doesn't mean I don't think other adults should be prohibited from seeing it.

There are no download services that have reliable method for verify age.
    Now imagine if when you saw that you were an 11 year old child.
    I put that on irresponsible parenting. What's an 11 year old doing looking at beheading videos on the internet?
    Are you saying when you were 11 you didn't see things your parents wouldn't approve of, you know like a stack of Playboys hidden in a fort?
    I think in some ways the unvarnished truth is more real . In the infancy of the internet I saw a video of a Russian soldier get his throat cut by Chechen rebels. No amount of narrative regarding the violence of war could convey what that two minute video did.
    That was the kind I saw. Chechen rebels and a Russian. The sound alone was horrible.

Bad people aren't just stories. **** was a real man, same as us. I see a danger in putting these people in some other class, as if they aren't humans. They are humans at our worst and we would be remiss to forget that.
    Are you saying when you were 11 you didn't see things your parents wouldn't approve of, you know like a stack of Playboys hidden in a fort?

Actually, since you gave full disclosure with your aversion to Saw movies..

I was the boy that told on himself, through tears, the first time I saw a woman's boobies in a Playboy. I was so ashamed. My dad laughed.

I also don't think that stuff like this "turns" people.
    No but it will certainly give a kid nightmares. I do believe though that for people with sociopathic tendencies, it gets them off.
    Sure. But they're already sociopaths.

It's my job to protect my kids, way I see it.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,780 Senior Member
    Isn't that clear enough by simply knowing the act was carried out, do you really have to see it to make it real?
    I'm torn here. I agree with Sherb, but what you said is how I take it personally. I don't have to see it to feel angry and sad. Just thinking about how this has affected Foley's parents and other loved ones chokes me up. I imagine how it would affect me if I were a kid and saw this video. But I'm against widespread censorship and sherb put it well that some people need to clearly see the nature of the enemy.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    Buffco wrote: »

It's my job to protect my kids, way I see it.

Wait a **** minute...I thought it takes a village. What kind of parent are you trying to run your kids lives...I should call CPS right now. ;)
    I'm torn here. I agree with Sherb, but what you said is how I take it personally. I don't have to see it to feel angry and sad. Just thinking about how this has affected Foley's parents and other loved ones chokes me up. I imagine how it would affect me if I were a kid and saw this video. But I'm against widespread censorship and sherb put it well that some people need to clearly see the nature of the enemy.

So the simple answer is don't watch it if you don't want to. What is right for some isn't right for all. Sure lock it down to those 18 and older (but on the internet that isn't going to work worth a ****). I don't want my kids to see it, they are far too young to know about this kind of crap. But they sure as $hit won't find it on the web either, because when I do let them on the computer I am sitting right there watching what the heck they are doing.
    And we can't protect our little angels forever. They are going to find sick stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.