Any Fans of the Lamson Litespeed?

ouzelproouzelpro Senior MemberPosts: 5,361 Senior Member
Its been upgraded, so the previous model is on clearance on various sites.

Replies

• Spade HackleSpade Hackle Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    I have several, 1.5 and 2..most are pre-upgrade, one is hard ox...they fish great, great drag, easy spool change, no maintenance. The old non coated ones (most of mine) can get dinged because they are so light, leading to rubs between the spool and reel case. It's almost like they occasionally need to be "trued" like a bike wheel. In the field, a little thumb pressure usually works. I've sent some back for maintenance and have been very satisfied with Lamson service. I fish them routinely, but would swallow a bit hard were I to take one reel into the backcountry for a multi day trip, because of the drop/bump and bend problem. The new hard ox coating seems to stiffen (?) and toughen the whole assembly and I have had no issues with my new coated reel.

Bottom line: Love fishing with them, love the large arbor, love the lack of weight, love the price point, love Lamson service, want the older models to be tougher, new ones are tougher.

SH
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I prefer the velocity.

But you know, a really good economy reel is the Lamson Konic. I have one of those and easily worth the cost.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Of course, sherb, the Velocity and Konic aren't the ones on clearance, so he might not be as interested in your thoughts on those models. :)

bd
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,959 Senior Member
    I have some older Lamsons with click drags or the old disc drag that needed to have the pad replaced to be useable when wet, and they are good reels. My newer Lamsons, a Velocity and a Radius both were bought as closeouts and also are good reels. I wish all of them had audible outgoing clicks, but the quality and light weight make up for that minor shortcoming.

I would not hesitate to buy any Lamson fully machined reel on clearance/closeout.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I have a Litespeed and have had no problems, however I also have a LP series reel which Lamson no longer honors their LIFETIME warranty. Not Impressed and probably wouldn't buy another Lamson based on this.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,959 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    I have a Litespeed and have had no problems, however I also have a LP series reel which Lamson no longer honors their LIFETIME warranty. Not Impressed and probably wouldn't buy another Lamson based on this.

Mike

Yeah, I thought it was crappy of Waterworks not to honor the Lamson warranty when they bought the company. The 50% off offer does not cut it, especially if you have one or more extra spools.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Fortunately I picked some spare clutches, so hopefully I'll be OK.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.