The Borders Are Secure

124»

Replies

• bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    But what do we do about law enforcement training? Business training for those who will put that money to work? And any other non-monetary help. Give money is good, but we have to do more. If we don't this problem will never go away.

Aren't those that the kind of things we do in Iraq & Afghanistan? That has been an overwhelming success... Those 3rd world governments don't want to help themselves.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory."
    Aldo Leopold
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    bakerloo wrote: »
    You're right. We do have thousands of well educated illegals trying to go to college. Unfortunately, in CA we have about 2,830,000 illegals here... (http://www.laalmanac.com/immigration/im04a.htm)

I loved that last paragraph in your link.

Immigration has long been a hot issue in California, even as far back as the latter days of California's
    Mexican period (1822 to 1846). Pio Pico, the last Mexican governor of California, lamented, "We find
    ourselves suddenly threatened by hordes of Yankee immigrants...whose progress we cannot arrest.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
    dryflie wrote: »

Irony at it's finest.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory."
    Aldo Leopold
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,725 Senior Member
    bakerloo wrote: »
    I believe we have been talking about unaccompanied minors from countries south of Mexico.

So you are assuming there is no other destiny for a child than welfare?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    So you are assuming there is no other destiny for a child than welfare?

Dude, just look at the stats. The odds are not in their favor. Betting on long shots usually isn't a good idea.
    I'm sure you have a spare room at your mom's house. Make a difference for 1 illegal kid and adopt... Pay for the kid and his schooling until he is finished.
    Aldo Leopold
    Nah screw that, let them go home and die. But stop with the shining city on the hill ****, because it is a lie.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Nah screw that, let them go home and die. But stop with the shining city on the hill ****, because it is a lie.

Que? No sabe, senor.
    Aldo Leopold
    And here I thought you were a Reagan fan who believed in American Exceptionalism.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,873 Senior Member
    dryflie wrote: »

The Governor of Mexican Tejas had the same complaint - illegal aliens streaming uncontrollably across the border.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,967 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    The Governor of Mexican Tejas had the same complaint - illegal aliens streaming uncontrollably across the border.

Send them home.

Dang. I live in Mexican Tejas. Don't let them deport me to Oklahoma!!!!!
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Mexican Tejas?? Is that the same as Baja Oklahoma?
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    The murder rate in Honduras is close to one third. That is, your chance of being killed by violence (drug war-haha) is nearly one out of three. Though it slightly lowered--how could it not, they killing off a third of their population in a year.. So many of you want to send these children back to a fairly certain death. Note also that most of these kids have extended family here. Too bad we let in the Italians and Irish, look how they screwed up this country...just think what these "non white" children could do to us. So all of you good americans should feel proud sending kids back to nearly certain death for a large % of them. I doubt even think George W. Bush would send them back. With all his inadequacies, he is not afraid of nor hates brown skinned people.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Wetdog wrote: »
    The murder rate in Honduras is close to one third. That is, your chance of being killed by violence (drug war-haha) is nearly one out of three. Though it slightly lowered--how could it not, they killing off a third of their population in a year.

What? The annual murder rate in Honduras is .09%.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    What? The annual murder rate in Honduras is .09%.

Yes your number is correct Steven but Honduras still has the world's highest murder rate, according to a United Nations report released recently. All in all it's not a safe place for anyone.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
    I know my number is correct, and yes it has the world's highest murder rate. But let's all try to stick to some reasonable semblance of the facts.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    I couldn't find the the article I read using those figures. The figure they used was 30.1 chance of being murdered. I don't remember them using the /100,00 figure. I can show what critera they were using as I can't find it. Looking no I see the 1 in 14 figure in a number of places.

here is one

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/jul/16/cokie-roberts/cokie-roberts-chances-getting-murdered-new-york-ar/
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    The 1/14 or 1/15 is per lifetime (which is where I thought you were going first, so the 33% number was way high but not totally illogical).

1/14 = 7% = 1-(1,099/1,100)^80. So, if the natual lifespan of a Honduran was 80 years, then the odds of being murdered at some point in 80 years would be 7% at the current annual murder rate. The 1 out of 15 number would correspond to a natural average life span of 72 years.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    They say, in Chicago, the murder rate is so high in the inner city that a male citizen will on average be murdered 1.1 times in a lifetime. I find that hard to believe, but it's the statistics, you know.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,200 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    They say, in Chicago, the murder rate is so high in the inner city that a male citizen will on average be murdered 1.1 times in a lifetime. I find that hard to believe, but it's the statistics, you know.

40_percent_of_all_statistics_are_wrong.png
    Wetdog wrote: »
    The murder rate in Honduras is close to one third.

With 33% of them dying per year it is no wonder there are so many unaccompanied minors. :D

Yes I read all the other posts and was just being a smart ****
    creekguy wrote: »

This settles things, all illegals should be relocated to Chicago where they will be better off.
  • SeaducerSeaducer Junior Member Posts: 36 Member
    I heard on the news that coyotes are charging up to $7,ooo. to transport these people to or acrosss the boarder that = about 140,000 Honduran Lempira. Even if its half of that amount I would at least send the kids here coach.
    In Portland OR. the Mexicans & Guetemalns own at least 75% of the Heroin and Meth trade probably all of the west coast ,and I think only the Hondurans work in the resturants here and where Comic lives. I hear they do a good job with the drugs so they did bring some skills with them and that does help with Portlands economy. This is all I have on this .
    Meh. Per capita, Chicago doesn't rank top 10 in the nation.
    Detroit still takes the blue ribbon. It's just that nobody lives there anymore.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.