Pour a sip and a toast

jbillyjbilly Senior MemberPosts: 5,249 Senior Member
For Neil and Buzz who 45 years ago today faked us all out and claimed they went to the moon....oh please who buys that load of BS. ;)

I only wish we as a nation hadn't lost our sense of adventure. It is hard to believe that we had the capability to do this 45 years ago; I am not sure we could pull off such a successful endeavor today even with all our technology.

A big salute to everyone who had their hands in Apollo 11.

Replies

• dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    We can still do great things but many claim we can't afford the effort.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,249 Senior Member
    We certainly can do great things still and even better things, it is just that our attitudes have changed so much. There is no way we could do it today without it costing a trillion dollars and that is just because we have become so risk adverse and so mired in the bureaucracy. We have lost our will to "just do it".

I have only worked on one NASA program for a very short time in my career and it was awful, I couldn't stand the waste and the need for so many people to try to prove they needed to exist to make things work. The layers upon layers of bodies to get anything done hurt my head.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    I was fortunate enough to have the opposite experience, at least at my lowly level. In the 60's and 70's I worked on several Apollo missions, in particular the moon flights, and also on the Viking Mars lander. Best most interesting work I ever had in my life. We had a great team and great contact with the NASA people. Nixon pretty much killed it all when he decided the Vietnam War was the more critical mission.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,947 Senior Member
    What a shame we have no sense of adventure any longer.

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • swiperswiper Senior Member Posts: 396 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    What a shame we have no sense of adventure any longer.

What? You've never seen Naked & Afraid?
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,947 Senior Member
    mikgaes wrote: »
    What? You've never seen Naked & Afraid?

I stand corrected, sir. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.