Road trip gone awry

Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior MemberPosts: 6,795 Senior Member
Ok, left Ogden to go up to SW Wyoming in hopes of fishing the Greys' River. Well, the river was very high and off color. In the hopes that the feeder creeks were the cause we soldiered on up the canyon. No dice, still too much runoff. So we headed over the mountains into another drainage. Good looking water (LaBarge Creek) but not really any places to camp. Primitive camping is ok with us but there weren't any trees. I'm not camping without some daytime shade. So, after a few more miles we figured we would head all the way down to Kemmerer and then up to the Hams Fork. We had never fished there but I have a work associate who killed them there two weeks ago and the river is in great shape too. Well, we got a flat tire a few miles later. I unloaded the Outback and changed the tire. Onward... Until about 10 miles later when the other rear tire went flat. We put our fix a flat in it and hoped it would get us down to the town of LaBarge. It did but there weren't any service stations open so we pressed onto Kemmerer, 44 miles distant. Well, 5 miles out of town the tire gave out. Ok, this blows but at least we can call AAA. Oops, no cell service. Eventuly we flagged someone down (a local, thank goodness) and he said he would go get the LaBarge police to give us some help with contacting a tow. Cop was an awesome guy and he took me a couple of miles up the road to where I could get a signal (even his police radio didn't work where we broke down). So AAA has to dispatch a tow all the way from Pinedale. Two hours later he shows up and brings our car to Evanston where they actually have tire stores. We think at least one of the tires is shot to hell and may need a replacement. So, our car is at the tire shop and we are resting in the Evanston Best Western. Did I mention we have our 9-month old puppy with us? She has been a trooper through it all, so that is cool.
So, hopefully the tires will be repaired/replaced early enough to go up to the Hams Fork and get some fishing in.
Expensive-**** trip thus far. I'm glad my Father-in-Law talked me into getting the AAA membership a few months ago.
These are OEM Continental tires with 25K on them and the dirt road really wasn't all that bad, all 95 miles of it. If I need to replace them I'm getting Michelins.

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    OEM tires sucks. Manufacturers put cheap tires and shocks on the vehicles to keep the price down when you buy it.

When I bought my truck new in 2004 I made a fishing trip to MT in 2005. I had 3 flats in one week on that trip from running around some of the mountain roads. I was lucky enough to have a service station about a 25 mile drive away. Needless to say, when I got back from that trip I discarded the tires with a whole 22,000 miles on them and purchased some much better tires. Never had that problem again on future trips to Montana. Wasn't long after that I also upgraded the shocks because they started leaking.

If I were you I would replace the tires right now at the store in Evanston. I think you may continue to have problems and will have to be towed again.

I'll never put cheap tires on again just to save a buck. Spending more up front to save the trouble of being inconvenienced on the road is well worth it in my book.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    My oil company actually drilled a 2 wildcat wells on the Grey's River and one on the Hams Fork back in the early eighties, and I got to know that area quite well (The well site geologist gets a lot of free time) although my fly skills were nothing at the time. One of the great off the beaten path areas. Did you get over to Lake Alice? A natural lake formed by a prehistoric landslide I think on the Hams Fork. Its a long dusty drive and then a short hike, but its full of cutts. Of course, at times I had the helicopter at my disposal! :cool: Those were the days.
    I agree with Joe on the tires. And I worry about the Outback. My 85 Subie Loyal wagon was always needing an alignment or new boot after I took it off pavement for a long trip. It's good to have a truck frame.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Expensive-**** trip thus far.

This will be funny a year from now.

The $/fish ratio should be interesting.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    Sounds like fun Shawn.

I remember once in a remote area of Montana I slipped my truck key into my car's ignition. No cell service, no one for miles and miles except for one house populated by yahoo crazies that hate fisherman (their signs said so as did hanging a steel bed spring below a bridge to keep fisherman from passing through). Also no traffic on the road (gravel) at all. I expected we'd be killed and left behind some boulders. The last time I had done this I needed a locksmith. Thankfully I eventually got it out.

btw Shawn I named a cat after Ogden once.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    glad you were safe, at least. I spend a lot of time out in the wheat fields, though nowhere near as remote as the country you're in. You pretty much describe my nightmare scenario
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,795 Senior Member
    Well, putting 4 new on the car right now. Should be done real soon. Good 80K Michelins like we have on our older Outback. They have been good tires.
    Creek, no worries about the Outback. What a solid car and we take it on all kinds of screwy roads. Have never been to Alice lake but it sounds nice. The Greys sure is beautiful country, huh? Sizeable and cooperative cutts too!
    I had better catch some **** fish today!!! No cutts there, browns and bows.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,714 Senior Member
    Did someone bring bananas? This smells of banana voodoo.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,795 Senior Member
    Ok, so on my second cast I landed an 18 1/2" rainbow. Taken on a #8 double renegade. Awesome.
    Only got to fish for 3 hours prior to thunderstorms moving in, but it was **** good. Not a ton of action but 5 thick and beautiful rainbows, the smallest of which was 15 1/2". Also picked up a mountain whitefish of about 14". I'm left wondering if there are any small fish in that river!
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,714 Senior Member
    Awesome...
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.