I'm no Tim S

2»

Replies

  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,951 Senior Member
    first project: research "fattie" on that website

    i recommend jimmy dean sausage......peppers....onions....provolone....bacon


    also look at "ATB's".....super easy and wicked good


    for ribs i much recommend the "3-2-1" method they recommend......
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Tim, you're such an ant/bee/A-type!
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,813 Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Hextall;



    I don't know enough to know what I want (cold smoke? That sounds like some kind of made up ****).

    [/QUOTE]

    Cold smoking is great for oily fish like salmon and eels, there is nothing quite like it. Hot smoking is more like traditional cooking but with smoke flavor.

    For hot smoking I like alder for fish, hickory or apple for pork and poultry and hickory for beef and lamb. It's just me, but I do not like oak or mesquite for smoking. Olive is good for lamb also, but it's hard to find.

    If you have a three burner grill and want to give hot smoking a try before buying a dedicated smoker, place your chip holder or a foil pouch of chips near the burner closest to the side or front, set the burner to low with the others off and place the meat or fish as far away as possible.

    You should use a good meat thermometer, but a rough estimate is two hours for beef ribs, three to four hours for baby-backs and five + for pork or lamb shoulder. Pulled lamb with Moroccan spice rub to me is even better than pulled pork.

    Amazingribs.com has great advice and recipes. Once you try his home-cured and smoked bacon you will never again be satisfied with store-bought. Adapt that recipe to a lamb belly and you will be hunting down butchers that can obtain it for you.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,580 Senior Member
    According to Alton Brown Mesquite has some chemicals in it that make the meat taste funny.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    Hey Tim do you have any recommendation for how to grow peppers? I have tried them both here (Denver, CO area) and in CA (San Jose area) and have had rather limited success in both places. I can grow tomatoes, corn squash, cucumbers, etc. just fine here, but not peppers. My only thought is they aren't getting enough sun. 'Do they need completely full sun? My garden gets good morning and afternoon sun, but not so much mid-day. I am thinking this might be part of my issue. My growing season is short so I start with plants. Thanks for any advice.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Try growing them in pots.. works for me..

    Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,951 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    Hey Tim do you have any recommendation for how to grow peppers? I have tried them both here (Denver, CO area) and in CA (San Jose area) and have had rather limited success in both places. I can grow tomatoes, corn squash, cucumbers, etc. just fine here, but not peppers. My only thought is they aren't getting enough sun. 'Do they need completely full sun? My garden gets good morning and afternoon sun, but not so much mid-day. I am thinking this might be part of my issue. My growing season is short so I start with plants. Thanks for any advice.


    they like sun


    are you getting great plants with limited pods.....or lousy plants in general?
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    tim_s wrote: »
    they like sun


    are you getting great plants with limited pods.....or lousy plants in general?

    I would say lousy plants in general. I haven't tried them the last 2 years, but the last time I tried them the plants ended up stubby with little pods. I tried about 4 bell pepper plants on got 2 very small peppers in total. I think the last non sweet pepper I had was an Anaheim and we got maybe 4 or 5 peppers of 3 or so plants. The plants never got big either. Not sure how large they should get, but I'd say none of them got much over 24"tall.

    So pretty crappy all around
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    I have three tomato plants that I built a wheeled cart for and grow in pots. These plants always do better than the ones in my garden because i can chase the sun and protect them from the wind. The other thing I have heard is that some plants do not do well by others. Tomato plants do not do well by potato plants for example. I have nothing to back this up except for my neighbors sage advice. My gardening and smoking skills pale in comparison to my computer hacking skills.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    The problem here is the soil takes so long to warm up. If the peppers and tomatoes are planted too early, they stall and take a long time to recover. By planting in pots or raised beds this problem is alleviated. The down side is you have to monitor the plants more closely for water etc..

    Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    image-9.jpg
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,951 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    I would say lousy plants in general. I haven't tried them the last 2 years, but the last time I tried them the plants ended up stubby with little pods. I tried about 4 bell pepper plants on got 2 very small peppers in total. I think the last non sweet pepper I had was an Anaheim and we got maybe 4 or 5 peppers of 3 or so plants. The plants never got big either. Not sure how large they should get, but I'd say none of them got much over 24"tall.

    So pretty crappy all around

    something like anaheims should be big, bushy, 3-4' tall....

    get your soil tested......too much N makes big, green, lush plants with few pods.......but lots of other things can effect growth (cool nights, not enough sun, etc, etc, etc)


    i will foliar spray mine this weekend with epsom salt & water........they'll get a dose of fish emulsion soon, too


    i'll hit them with cal/mag spray when the start to blossom


    mostly i just leave them the hell alone.......
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.