Martini

dryfliedryflie Senior MemberPosts: 1,442 Senior Member
Gin or Vodka?
“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

Replies

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,007 Senior Member
    Vodka, without flavoring of any sort, very dry, over ice, with one small olive or onion. Anything else (well, I'll make one exception for the gin drinkers) is foo-foo juice. The thought of calling something a green apple, cinnamon, or chocolate Martini makes me break out in hives. All that said, I'd still prefer two fingers of good Whisky, neat.

Jim
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,539 Senior Member
    Gin for Martinis. Vodka is best consumed in shots, IMO.

Whiskey I prefer with just enough ice that it melts before the drink is finished. I don't want to end up sucking on whiskey soaked ice.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Jim, I'll drink either one, Vodka or Gin but truth be told I prefer Gin. More impact, more taste with Gin but a good Vodka will serve in a pinch. It's amazing the variety of small batch Gins and Vodkas available now a days, some of them very very good. There's a very nice Vodka made locally in Freeport, Cold River Vodka, made with Maine potatoes. They now make a Gin as well.

BTW, all this flavored junk makes me crazy as well. The idea that there's a Martini menu in most places is nuts. Call them something else please they certainly aren't Martinis
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
    My Uncle turned me on to Costco's Vodka. For the price it is as smooth as silk.

My brother likes dirty martinis. I enjoy them. I also confess that at holiday time I do enjoy some of the flavored martinis. Just not something I would order regularly.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,799 Senior Member
    Gin.

"Foo-foo juice" concoctions can be OK so long as you do not call them "martinis". I like Cosmos, for example.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    Vodka is preferable but will go with gin once in a while.

Concur on sticking with whiskey. Not sure why but lately I have had a major thing with a Manhattan.
    jbilly wrote: »

Concur on sticking with whiskey. Not sure why but lately I have had a major thing with a Manhattan.

I'll drink a Manhattan as quickly as a Martini. The traditional Manhattan is made with Rye Whiskey, a whiskey not as popular today as it once was, so most today use bourbon. My preference, if no true Rye is available, is a dry Southern Comfort Manhattan, dry vermouth only, no bitters. Manhattans come in all kinds of versions

A Rob Roy is made with Scotch whisky.[10]
    A Dry Manhattan is made with dry vermouth instead of sweet vermouth and served with a twist.[10]
    A Perfect Manhattan is made with equal parts sweet and dry vermouth.[10]
    A Brandy Manhattan is made with Brandy instead of whiskey and is very popular in Wisconsin and Minnesota.[15]
    A Metropolitan is similar to a brandy Manhattan, but with a 3-to-1 ratio of brandy to vermouth.[16]
    A Cuban Manhattan is a Perfect Manhattan with dark rum as its principal ingredient.[17]
    A Tijuana Manhattan is made with an Anejo Tequila.[18]
    The Fourth Regiment is a classic (ca. 1889) cocktail that uses a 1/1 ratio of whiskey and vermouth, and uses three dashes of three different bitters - orange bitters, celery bitters, and Peychaud's Bitters.[19]

I hope you used Rye and kept the vermouth to a third or less of the mix. :)
    dryflie wrote: »
    I'll drink a Manhattan as quickly as a Martini. The traditional Manhattan is made with Rye Whiskey, a whiskey not as popular today as it once was, so most today use bourbon. My preference, if no true Rye is available, is a dry Southern Comfort Manhattan, dry vermouth only, no bitters. Manhattans come in all kinds of versions

In those benighted areas of our great nation where Rye is hard to find you can substitute Canadian whiskey. It is made mostly with Rye (or better said, from rye).
    George, rye whiskey is trying to make a come back. My favorite is called (rī)1 a Kentucky straight rye whiskey produced by Beam Global Spirits. Excellent for sipping and for Manhattans. Somewhat expensive though.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    High West Distllery in Park City, UT is producing some small batch rye whiskey. I've yet to try it but did pick up a bottle of "Boureye" which is a 50/50 mix. Not bad, but then I'm not a bourbon guy. Incidentally, if any of you westerners want to try a great whiskey then by all means try their High West Silver whiskey. So unique and truly great!
    As far as martinis I'm a gin person. Very dry with the more olives the better!
    Two years ago while vacationing/fishing in the Durango area I had a Jackrabbit brand gin martini at a nice restaurant. Best cocktail I've ever had in my life, bar none.
    Vesper Martini that combines gin and vodka is tasty too!

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    My prostate says: if you drink that hard liquor, I'll make the next two days a living hell. I don't miss the mixed drinks too much, but I would love to have a single malt scotch..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    If I'm sipping whiskey with just an ice cube or two it will be a malt, Scotch for a whiskey & soda. For martinis I will use a good quality gin with no extra flavoring. For Manhattans I use Rye. I have a couple of bottles of really good small batch rye, but confess that for mixing with sweet vermouth I will use cheaper stuff like Jim Beam (yellow label).

But, and it is an excruciatingly huge "but", for almost a year now I have been taking low-dose methotrexate for two auto-immune diseases and I can only have a drink or two twice a month to protect my liver. This is truly annoying. :mad:
    George K wrote: »
    but", for almost a year now I have been taking low-dose methotrexate for two auto-immune diseases and I can only have a drink or two twice a month to protect my liver. This is truly annoying. :mad:

Good god the Lodge really is dying...we are all falling apart around here.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    Gin, are you kidding?

I'd rather sip some Knappogue Castle, 12 yr Redbreast (oh my the 15 year is great if it can be found), Midleton, Tyrconnell...well you get the idea.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Hey, I'm holding up my end and more. In fact I'm going to have an extra Martini just for George.
    Wetdog wrote: »
    Gin, are you kidding?

I'd rather sip some Knappogue Castle, 12 yr Redbreast (oh my the 15 year is great if it can be found), Midleton, Tyrconnell...well you get the idea.

Dog, we're talking Martinis here.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,007 Senior Member
    My last encounter with Manhattans occurred in probably 1972. A buddy and I spent the early evening shooting billiards at one of those ageless clubs that have two or three honest-to-God billiard tables, then retired to the bar. My friend ordered Manhattans, and I was totally intrigued by the combination (typically, I don't care for sweet drinks.) We then found out that the bartender was retiring after that night, and since he was making the drinks the honest, old-fashioned way, we closed the place that night. By a quarter-to-two, the bartender said, "Oh, ****," set the bottle of rye on the bar, and he and the two of us finished it off. I woke up at seven the next morning, sick-drunk and parked in a tomato field, and have absolutely no recollection of getting there. I've abstained ever since.

Jim
    magalloway wrote: »
    My last encounter with Manhattans occurred in probably 1972. A buddy and I spent the early evening shooting billiards at one of those ageless clubs that have two or three honest-to-God billiard tables, then retired to the bar. My friend ordered Manhattans, and I was totally intrigued by the combination (typically, I don't care for sweet drinks.) We then found out that the bartender was retiring after that night, and since he was making the drinks the honest, old-fashioned way, we closed the place that night. By a quarter-to-two, the bartender said, "Oh, ****," set the bottle of rye on the bar, and he and the two of us finished it off. I woke up at seven the next morning, sick-drunk and parked in a tomato field, and have absolutely no recollection of getting there. I've abstained ever since.

Jim

No tomatoes since 1972? Man that's hard to do.

But we're still on the right side of the grass.
  • Wakeley BridgeWakeley Bridge Junior Member Posts: 27 Junior Member
    The bartenders at the late lamented Joe Muers restaurant in downtown Detroit came up with this martini variant. Admittedly is not a "true" martini but it sure was my favorite for many years.

Joe Muers "Cultured Cocktail"
    Pour a shot of vodka over ice in a tulip glass. Fill up the rest of the way with champagne. As you sip - keep adding champagne.

It was a great start to the wonderful seafood they served for nearly 60 years.
    "you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" R. Zimmerman
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Gin
    Steven wrote: »
    Gin

Stirred or Shaken?
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Shaken 'til it's bruised.
    What's cooler than a classic shaker?
    Steven wrote: »
    Shaken 'til it's bruised.
    What's cooler than a classic shaker?

Shaken? Good god...a typical heathen.

BTW nothing better than a classic shaker, when used for the right drinks.
    dryflie wrote: »
    Shaken? Good god...a typical heathen.

BTW nothing better than a classic shaker, when used for the right drinks.

Lets keep this thread going....the right drinks such as????
    Lets keep this thread going....the right drinks such as????

Drinks that contain only Alcohol such as Martinis, Manhattans, etc are to be stirred. Drinks such as Daiquiris, Margaritas etc. that contain fruity stuff, eggs, anything not alcohol can be shaken. I realize this rule is broken everywhere and all the time but it is the rule. And this business about James Bond and "Shaken not Stirred" ....well he was just a fictional heathen.
    My memory is faulting me. Never mind.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.