How is this guy different than George Zimmerman?

2»

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,114 Senior Member
    So could have George Zimmerman.

He was going back to retrieve his friends, who were the only people he knew in the area. His motivation was to protect his friends. How is that any less noble than Zimmerman's motivations?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I don't believe he was getting his head bashed in. The evidence does not support that. His injuries were not even sufficient to keep him in the hospital.

I would fully support the verdict in Giles case had the jury in Zimmerman's trial come to the same verdict.

Either the jury believed it or the prosecution couldn't prove otherwise.

Meanwhile, it would be nice if you could tell us what argument was made in Giles' defense.
    A report I read said the Giles shooting was initially described as a warning shot. If that's the case, then stand your ground wouldn't apply either. It would imply - as it did in the Marissa Alexander case - that Giles did not reasonably believe that deadly force was necessary.

Last month, the Florida legislature passed a warning shot bill. It looks like warning shots would still be illegal but wouldn't be covered by the mandatory sentencing. Also, the police supposedly recommended that Giles only get probation, but the judge said his hands were tied.
    BTW I am less interested in why he was convicted than why Zimmerman wasn't and why this guy for some reason was unworthy of support from Sean Hannity, the right wing media and the NRA.

I am sorry but these are piddly distinctions and when the law would be more lenient if he was trying to kill someone, well, that is just plain ****ing stupid.

The argument according to the article was that he was in fear for his life and therefore was justified in shooting. The fact that he chose less than lethal force to save his life is not proof that his fear was not real. In fact to say so is also stupid.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Neither being a Hannity watcher nor an NRA member (shocking I know), I can't help you.

Zimmerman wasn't convicted because he was allegedly getting his head bashed in and the prosecution couldn't prove otherwise. Under Florida law, that's all that matters.

As for Giles, he didn't even apply to have a Stand Your Ground hearing. Why not?
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,962 Senior Member
    have we seen a toxicology report on Giles?

that could have seriously complicated things.......to the point where his claim of self defense was impaired

I did not know this!

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.151.html

CRIMES Chapter 790
    WEAPONS AND FIREARMS

790.151 Using firearm while under the influence of alcoholic beverages, chemical substances, or controlled substances; penalties.—

(1) As used in ss. 790.151-790.157, to “use a firearm” means to discharge a firearm or to have a firearm readily accessible for immediate discharge.

(2) For the purposes of this section, “readily accessible for immediate discharge” means loaded and in a person’s hand.

(3) It is unlawful and punishable as provided in subsection (4) for any person who is under the influence of alcoholic beverages, any chemical substance set forth in s. 877.111, or any substance controlled under chapter 893, when affected to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired, to use a firearm in this state.

(4) Any person who violates subsection (3) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(5) This section does not apply to persons exercising lawful self-defense or defense of one’s property.

under florida's self defense law:

(3) A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

carrying the gun while under the influence is an unlawful activity......he wasn't carrying, he went back to car and got his gun.....if he was impaired, he was already breaking the law, and then self defense wouldn't have applied, if i am reading things correctly

bottom line is, dude fired into a crowd......
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
    Steven wrote: »
    Neither being a Hannity watcher nor an NRA member (shocking I know), I can't help you.

Zimmerman wasn't convicted because he was allegedly getting his head bashed in and the prosecution couldn't prove otherwise. Under Florida law, that's all that matters.

As for Giles, he didn't even apply to have a Stand Your Ground hearing. Why not?

I think I read that his lawyer advised him it didn't apply.

And Tim, he was not charged with using a firearm under the influence nor was it suggested in the prosecutions argument in any of the articles I have read.

He fired into a crowd he believed was trying to kill him.

The only thing he did differently than Zimmerman was not shooting center mass and killing his attacker.
    Right. His lawyer said it didn't apply. Why not?
    The point is that he was defending his life the same as Zimmerman. Personally I think anybody that is stupid **** enough to turn our streets into ****ing Tombstone should be in prison, Zimmerman included. Neither one of them would be in the situation they were in if they did not pick up a gun and go billy ****. So I am still at a loss as how these guys are different than one another and why they both didn't benefit from the same right wing hysteria.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.