that first step's a doozy.....

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
Palouse Falls, in the brief few days that it's green out in the desert....

14027017557_fb27e1e7db_b.jpg20140517-untitled shoot-6609 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

Replies

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I really like that, Scott. Thanks for posting.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Hard to believe that someone has actually kayaked over that fall - and survived. 187 feet from to to bottom.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,194 Senior Member
    Hard to believe that someone has actually kayaked over that fall - and survived. 187 feet from to to bottom.

Beautiful picture.

That is just plain nutty!
    ****. YouTube copied the wrong link - ill delete and try again when I get home.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    That lens and perspective fools ya. Doesn't look 167 feet. Looks like 70 feet to me.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    the sheer scale of the place fools you, too, I think.
    That I can understand. I see nothing that gives me a since of scale. But verticle and horizontal scales fool me anyway. I've measured trees around here that are 120' tall. I know trees are taller esle where, but around here, that is tall. Now my property is 300' wide. You can lay 2.5 trees that size end to end across the property. But looking across from one side to the other, it doesn't seem that wide to me.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    check out the people over near the parking lot on the far right side. that helps a bit.
    I didn't see them. Heck I didn't see the the parking lot. :) I did see what looks like a trail below them, but had no idea how wide it is.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,194 Senior Member
    God I suck. Ok granted I was a snot nosed 19-20 year old at the time, but hell this is right down the road from Moscow. I don't know if I would have gone then or not, but **** it I wish I knew about this when I was there. Well I guess I have something to look forward to some day when I go back there.
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Fantastic. The greens are so vivid this time of year.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
    jbilly wrote: »
    God I suck. Ok granted I was a snot nosed 19-20 year old at the time, but hell this is right down the road from Moscow. I don't know if I would have gone then or not, but **** it I wish I knew about this when I was there. Well I guess I have something to look forward to some day when I go back there.

normally it gets very light use -- in the summer it is blistering hot, and filled with rattlesnakes -- in the winter it is blistering cold. There's no stores, restaraunts or coffee for 20 miles in any direction and no real cities within 90 minutes drive.

in other words, my kind of place.

this weekend was the first time I've gone where I actually saw more than one other person there.

of course, I usually go between midnight and dawn, and often in the winter.

I am hoping to set up camp where I took this photo and shoot a time lapse of the milky way rising over the river next time the conditions (weather, mostly) permit.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    nice!...........................................................................................................................................
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,706 Senior Member
    normally it gets very light use -- in the summer it is blistering hot, and filled with rattlesnakes -- in the winter it is blistering cold. There's no stores, restaraunts or coffee for 20 miles in any direction and no real cities within 90 minutes drive.

in other words, my kind of place.

this weekend was the first time I've gone where I actually saw more than one other person there.

of course, I usually go between midnight and dawn, and often in the winter.

I am hoping to set up camp where I took this photo and shoot a time lapse of the milky way rising over the river next time the conditions (weather, mostly) permit.

I am guessing this months issue of Fly Fisherman is going to annoy you a little bit.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I am guessing this months issue of Fly Fisherman is going to annoy you a little bit.

why's that? I haven't seen it recently.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.