First explain this, then explain Benghazi.

HextallHextall Senior MemberPosts: 9,520 Senior Member
Thanks Obama!

knuckle.gif?w=450&h=338

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,580 Senior Member
    The last time I saw a ball with that much movement it was in a Bugs Bunny cartoon.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Correct!

We'd also accept "on my chin" as an answer.

Wait... what did I just do?
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    My childhood dream was to be a knuckleball pitcher. Easy work with no heavy lifting and a 20 year major league career.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    That's amazing.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Velocity meets friction and air pressure.

How about the Cover-3?
    The catcher closes his eyes. Such a ****.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,244 Senior Member
    Saw a gif of this where they put in axis lines. That ball spins exactly one revolution from the pitcher's hand to the mitt. Also showed lines illustrating the part of travel.

My wife threw a potato at my head once that flew just like this.
    Did you close your eyes?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,812 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

My wife threw a potato at my head once that flew just like this.

That reminds me of the ending of Elmore Leonard's Djibouti.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    That reminds me of the ending of Elmore Leonard's Djibouti.

Is the "D" silent??

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,244 Senior Member
    Did you close your eyes?

I think. I ducked and it hit the wall behind me. I was sitting, reading a newspaper and smarted off at her. I looked up just in time to see the potato midair... It ripped the top of the paper and just missed my head.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,736 Senior Member
    That is cool, thanks for sharing that!

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    You would think there would be more knuckle ball pitchers. Do most guys pick it up because of velocity decreases or arm problems? It's weird how some guys just have movement on the ball when they throw and others just come in on a line. It seems most lefties always have a tail on their fastballs almost naturally.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I wanna know how they did that -- follow focus on a ball moving, what? 60-70 mph?

how the hell did they do that?
    ricinus wrote: »
    Is the "D" silent??

Mike

More or less. It is not pronounced, but it "hardens" the "j", makes it a little more emphatic. I do not know the technical term to describe this.
    Capital of Djibouti? Djibouti. That's baller.
    Bak4Mor wrote: »
    You would think there would be more knuckle ball pitchers.

I think this is available on Netflix... pretty interesting movie about being a knuckleballer:

http://www.knuckleballmovie.com/
    I wanna know how they did that -- follow focus on a ball moving, what? 60-70 mph?

Benghazi has the answers to how they did that.

I think the pitcher is RA Dickey when he played for the Mets a couple years ago... and he's an oddity in the oddity of the knuckleball world as his knuckleballs are thrown relatively hard. Most usually flutter them up there, but he throws in the mid to high 70's.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=285079&time=month&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=05/16/2014&s_type=2

Tim Wakefield, who recently retired throws his knuckleball in the mid to high 60's.
    http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=123801&time=month&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=05/16/2014&s_type=2
    I thought that I'd read somewhere that knuckleballs get thrown in that range of speeds (and knew they were much slower than a 100 mph fastball)

Me too.

The cool answer would be a light field video camera. The more likely answer is a cameraman with good skills and years of experience. Or good luck.
    I'm am 100% sure the cameraman worked on Innocence of Muslims.
    Me too.

The cool answer would be a light field video camera. The more likely answer is a cameraman with good skills and years of experience. Or good luck.

well, it should be possible to set a motor to run the lens from one focus stop to another over a specified time -- easy enough to figure out an average time from the pitcher's hand to the catcher mitt -- then the rest is just timing, I suppose -- that would be my approach, but I'd love to know how they REALLY did it. Neat work, whatever they did.
    You couldn't fix it in post? They do it on NCIS all the time.
    You couldn't fix it in post? They do it on NCIS all the time.

Not without a light field camera. Otherwise, focus is 99% fixed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-field_camera
    Next you are going to tell me that they cannot find a suspect in less than 10 minutes using facial recognition software.
    What does that have to do with focus on a traditional lens and sensor/film camera?
    What does that have to do with focus on a traditional lens and sensor/film camera?

Nothing. It has to do with what I have been told about forensic technology by my TV shows.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,948 Senior Member
    well, it should be possible to set a motor to run the lens from one focus stop to another over a specified time -- easy enough to figure out an average time from the pitcher's hand to the catcher mitt -- then the rest is just timing, I suppose -- that would be my approach, but I'd love to know how they REALLY did it. Neat work, whatever they did.
    This was my first guess. If Lytro comes out with video camera, I'm saving up for it. Think of the possibilities videoing your favorite hatch. You could follow one insect through the swarm.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.