How thr U.S. mainstream media misleads us

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 2,930 Senior Member
The government gives them what the want printed and the media obediantly complies.

http://publiceditor.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/aftermath-of-ukraine-photo-story-shows-need-for-more-caution/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

The Times led its print edition Monday with an article based in part on photographs that the State Department said were evidence of Russian military presence in popular uprisings in Ukraine. The headline read: “Photos Link Masked Men in East Ukraine to Russia.”

More recently, some of those grainy photographs have been discredited. The Times has published a second article backing off from the original and airing questions about what the photographs are said to depict, but hardly addressing how the newspaper may have been misled.

Here’s my take: The Times’s coverage of this crisis has had much to commend it, especially the quality of the on-the-ground reporting. But this article, with its reliance on an administration leak, was displayed too prominently and questioned too lightly. The Times’s influence demands that it be cautious, especially when deciding to publish what amounts to a government handout.

Replies

• EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,930 Senior Member
    So, does anyone think they are being misled by the government and the MSM about war and our foreign policy? Iraq is still on fire as we try to salvage something out of our tragic failure there and now the government is trying to repeat that mistakle in Uklraine.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,226 Senior Member
    EdB wrote: »
    evidence of Russian military presence in popular uprisings in Ukraine. The headline read: “Photos Link Masked Men in East Ukraine to Russia.”

180px-Putinbatmanmask.png

ZAP....BIFF...KAPOW!!
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,954 Senior Member
    whackadoodle troll fail
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,946 Senior Member
    So, does anyone think they are being misled by the government and the MSM about war and our foreign policy? Iraq is still on fire as we try to salvage something out of our tragic failure there and now the government is trying to repeat that mistakle in Uklraine.

The fact that you do not think you are being misled by Russia Times is so amusing to me, I just sit here and chuckle every time I read it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    The fact that you do not think you are being misled by Russia Times is so amusing to me, I just sit here and chuckle every time I read it.

Your made up fact is wrong as usual. I'm well aware that all governments mislead, one has to be able to recognize that and be able to discern the truth behind the propaganda. Do you recognize that your government misleads you, or not?
    There is much well documented evidence to support my claim.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Please answer my question, does your government and MSM mislead you?
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    The problem with your theory, Ed, is that your link has the public editor admitting that her own paper was misleading. Isn't that what transparent organizations do? Or do you see it differently? Because what I see here is an attempt at self-policing, which is laudable and should be celebrated.
    Hey Ed what do you know about chemtrails?
    Hey Ed what do you know about chemtrails?

I guess your non-answer is no, you do not think they mislead you,ok.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I'm well aware that all governments mislead, one has to be able to recognize that and be able to discern the truth behind the propaganda.

I take ahold of the governments wrists, putting my forefingers lightly on their pulse, and if I see their lips moving while doing this, I know they are lying. So you and me Ed are on the same page. Wink wink cup check.
    I guess your non-answer is no, you do not think they mislead you,ok.

Let me put it this way Ed, I think they get it wrong or are mislead by public officials. No doubt. The media really bjorked the run up to Iraq. But they sure were critical of the handling of the insurgency.

But you read sources with a stated editorial bias, that actually often misquote or pull facts out of their tuchas, and accept that they are telling you the truth because they support your anti-government bias. You refuse to engage in any critical thinking once you see a headline that you agree with and never once consider that their supporting evidence is complete rubbish. Or that their conclusions are so distorted and skewed that they are beyond reason and bordering on paranoid delusion.
    Hextall wrote: »
    I take ahold of the governments wrists, putting my forefingers lightly on their pulse, and if I see their lips moving while doing this, I know they are lying. So you and me Ed are on the same page. Wink wink cup check.

LOL several times.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.