a day at the races

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
another day at the races today -- this time on my own time. did some panning shots that the paper would never use.

14044523114_cf08119437_b.jpg20140427-untitled shoot-6043 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

14020853536_69f2fbf60d_b.jpg20140427-untitled shoot-6127 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

14043957205_60937e4d62_b.jpg20140427-untitled shoot-7812 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

14044493234_339270007b_b.jpg20140427-untitled shoot-6086 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

Replies

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,967 Senior Member
    I was expecting...

"Getta your tootsie-frootsie ice cream!"

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,200 Senior Member

When I saw th first picture I hoped you'd have one like this....Stanford would be so proud
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    ????????? ?????
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I've never been to the races. Definitely on my list of things to do.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Mint juleps, summer frocks and big hats coming up. What was the race in Tennessee?, Kentucky? with the fighting women sans underwear? That was awesome.
    Tennessee.

I'd be the bad cigars and ugly sports coat type of racing fan.
    This would also require a cheap straw hat, but I would buy you a drink.

I can't find an image of Leo Devoe from Get Shorty.
    I'd go with a trilby type of hat I think. Maybe of straw.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,725 Senior Member
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I prefer poker. From my favorite myth movie, Rounders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKzt3DotMCI
    Rounders was a great movie
    I agree, but none of it is real. Nevertheless, the voice over commentary is good.
    ????????? ?????

Back in the late 1800's (maybe 80s or 90s I don't recall) Leland Stanford (CA governor and university founder) supposedly made a bet that a horse, when galloping, had all four feet off the ground. Anyway he commissioned a photographer, Muybridge (yes I did have to google that part) to prove it by taking pictures...he did.

Why on earth do I know this....I have no idea, my head is full of all sorts of useless crap.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,725 Senior Member
    Wait I thought that was a Bonanza episode.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Wait I thought that was a Bonanza episode.

You are thinking of the episode when Hos was riding Hop Sing like a rented mule...the precursor to Broke Back Mountain.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    Back in the late 1800's (maybe 80s or 90s I don't recall) Leland Stanford (CA governor and university founder) supposedly made a bet that a horse, when galloping, had all four feet off the ground. Anyway he commissioned a photographer, Muybridge (yes I did have to google that part) to prove it by taking pictures...he did.

Why on earth do I know this....I have no idea, my head is full of all sorts of useless crap.

I knew of Muybridge's work on this -- didn't know that Stanford had commissioned it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.