A place for Elizabeth Warren

Replies

• dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    yeah, she was the original purveyor of "you didn't build that."

And she was/is right.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,228 Senior Member
    dryflie wrote: »
    If "the government" didn't pave the roads who did?

Well, the taxes taken from the **** factory, for one.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Well, the taxes taken from the **** factory, for one.

In part unless they got a tax deal (and we know many did and still do). Roads BTW are mostly paid for by highway and Gas taxes. Your average motorist pays a hell of a lot of those taxes.

The point is "the Government" levies and collects those taxes from companies and from the public. Infrastructure greatly improves businesses ability to build and ship product. Without "the Government" we'd be a wasteland.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,382 Senior Member
    Again I can see why you would need to marginalize her.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,228 Senior Member
    dryflie wrote: »
    In part unless they got a tax deal (and we know many did and still do). Roads BTW are mostly paid for by highway and Gas taxes. Your average motorist pays a hell of a lot of those taxes.

The point is "the Government" levies and collects those taxes from companies and from the public. Infrastructure greatly improves businesses ability to build and ship product. Without "the Government" we'd be a wasteland.

And that factory employs a helluva lot of those motorists, so. Yeah.

I'm not arguing for No Government, but Elizabeth Warren's road **** sure wasn't built in HOPES a factory would locate there.
    Actually most times there is a factory proposed and the municipality agrees to build the road to the facility. Heck Walmart got a town around here to build them their parking lot. There are generally so many tax incentives for these huge companies that mom&pops cannot compete. So not only did they not build it, but they are taking money directly out of the pockets of small businesses to build it for them.

Do some more research on her. Because if that is the only information you are using to judge her, then are judging her from an ignorant stand point.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,955 Senior Member
    Is she a Washington Redskins fan?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Well, that's 15 minutes I'll never get back.

So wages are stagnant, but consumer good prices have fallen and houses are bigger? Huh. And the problem is rapacious credit card companies? This strikes me as incredibly paternalistic. This looks a solution in search of a problem. Regulatory reform? Don't borrow so much.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/376231/politics-poverty-kevin-d-williamson/page/0/1
    joekrz wrote: »
    Is she a Washington Redskins fan?

You know I could applaud this attempt to dumb down the debate, if it at least had the virtue of being funny.
    sherb wrote: »
    Well, that's 15 minutes I'll never get back.

So wages are stagnant, but consumer good prices have fallen and houses are bigger? Huh. And the problem is rapacious credit card companies? This strikes me as incredibly paternalistic. This looks a solution in search of a problem. Regulatory reform? Don't borrow so much.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/376231/politics-poverty-kevin-d-williamson/page/0/1

Accept those people are working two jobs and because of housing costs, they need to borrow to even get some of the basic necessities.

And yeah that was not the one I was looking for.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    The houses are bigger. So they cost more. And actually, if you factor in falling interest rates, people are paying about the same in nominal terms for a larger house as they did for a smaller one thirty years ago.

I had to suffer through Ms. Oklahoma so now you have to read the article I posted.
    Nuh Awww.....

BTW pretty sure that the figure she was using in the video I was looking for was mortgage payments as percentage of income.

Also if you really saw the whole video, you must have missed the part about the devious practices of those lenders.
    Which is to say, if the real standard of living for the poor and the middle classes continues to increase — as it has for virtually the entire history of modern capitalism — then it will not matter if the standards of living for the very wealthy increase even more quickly.

What complete and utter ****. It does matter because the American worker is working harder and not getting near the return for their labor as the upper classes. That is the basis of trickle down economics. As long as we give them more crumbs, they shouldn't mind that they are only getting crumbs off our big fat buffet.
    You know I could applaud this attempt to dumb down the debate, if it at least had the virtue of being funny.

I thought it was funny. Not my fault that you don't have a sense of humor

Or maybe I am more discerning and do not find snotty a substitute for humor.
    Yes it is all the fault of single mothers, which completely alleviates the 1% of the obligation to trickle down any of that capital. It is not that they are not paying fairly it is that those people are not living morally. What a crock. I think you guys over exaggerate the importance and viability of your studies.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,180 Senior Member

I thought it was **** funny
    Buffco wrote: »
    but Elizabeth Warren's road **** sure wasn't built in HOPES a factory would locate there.

Dead wrong Mr. Buff. Roads come first in all cases. Factories don't get build it the middle of nowhere waiting for roads to reach them. As I sit here in S.NH watching I-93 add a third lane the forecast for population growth following the expansion is frightening....for drivers and the towns that line the highway. Documented pop. growth for the region is intimately linked to the growth of roads into the area. Pretty much true around the nation. We have suburbs because there were roads to reach them.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,180 Senior Member
    Did the government build all the wagon trails to open up the west?
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,865 Senior Member

This is a stupid enough conversation to begin with, try using some intellect to make more interesting.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

jbilly wrote: »

Google Lewis and Clarke.
    This is a stupid enough conversation to begin with, try using some intellect to make more interesting.

If I feel like it I will

Well it would be a nice change of pace.
    I finally had a chance to watch the video and came to the conclusion that Warren absolves people from personal financial responsibility and would rather blame credit card companies and banks.

Then clearly you are having difficulty listening objectively. She only presents facts, she is not absolving anyone, nor is she condemning them. The only thing she condemns are certain business practices of credit card companies.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,741 Senior Member
    Google Lewis and Clarke.

And land grants for settlers.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Then clearly you are having difficulty listening objectively. She only presents facts, she is not absolving anyone, nor is she condemning them. The only thing she condemns are certain business practices of credit card companies.

I listened objectively.

What facts? And what about the business practices of credit card companies?
    You didn't listen at all then.
    Oh I listened. But really? More rules and regulations to protect people from themselves?

Without directly saying it, she implies that the banks and credit card companies are the reason for peoples financial hardships.
    jbilly wrote: »

That there is just some awesome deflection. Dumb but awesome. Are you suggesting that today people climb into their cars and trucks and forge new paths into the wilderness?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.