SaltyDancinDave

124»

Replies

• Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Sherb said inimical. That is fantastic. .
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Not fantastic.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Comic, you want to see me call someone a bigot? Its your lucky day.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/gop-scrambles-condemn-ranchers-remarks-race-n88556
    Also, crossover thread= win.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,770 Senior Member
    Ten bucks says Sean Hannity will claim he just likes using antique farm equipment.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Answer the question. You are the one claiming Paul Ryan is offering a solution, what is it? Those are facts. He wants to gut the social safety net in some white fantasy that starvation will somehow create jobs and get those blacks off their lazy ****. So tell me, what are his solutions? Because I have seen nothing other than let them starve.

Well, since you asked so nicely. . .

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/paul-ryans-inner-city-education

Its long, but its good.
    “Dog whistle… I’d never even heard the phrase before, to be honest with you,” he says.

And you believe this?

I am still reading. But please.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I cannot believe you made me read that whole love letter to that **** only to find the only solution he proposes is more charity. Oh and getting employers to lower their standards when hiring ex-cons.
  • Well, I think he's trying to do a lot more than that. Of utmost importance is that he is actually spending time in the trenches to figure out the nature of the problem. What's surprising to me is that after being called a racist, most people would have retreated to the protective enclave of fox news and the GOP congressional caucus, and he certainly hasn't done that. He's smart enough to see that we have a brand problem, and he is devoted to working on it.
    He is giving them face time, yeah so what? He is still going to gut the social safety net and add even more of a burden upon those charities he claims he wants to help. He hears someone desperately hoping for an answer to the education problem and doesn't even acknowledge there is something wrong. Same goes with a complaint about the minimum wage. His comments on the Pope are a desperate attempt to hide from the fact the Pope is talking about people like him and an indictment of Reaganomics.
    sherb wrote: »
    He's smart enough to see that we have a brand problem, and he is devoted to working on it.

Then he is stupid. Because they do not have a "brand" problem. As though it is the fault of the people they are trying to hurt. It is a policy problem.
  • Like I said, nothing to talk about. Your mind is made up. See you at the polls.
  • And you believe this?

I am still reading. But please.

I was thinking about this last night (that's right, I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about flyfishing message boards) and I realized that I had never heard the term "Dog whistle" before a few months ago either. So I don't think its all that far-fetched. The term "microaggression" I just heard last week for the first time.
    Yes but you are not a politician. This term has been around for quite sometime. For him to have not heard it would require that he not pick up a paper for 20 years and completely ignored what was written about Trent Lott.
    Like I said, nothing to talk about. Your mind is made up. See you at the polls.

And you?
    In either case, the only solution here was more of the same. Blame the poor and offer no substantial solutions other than, "Stay married."
  • Yes but you are not a politician. This term has been around for quite sometime. For him to have not heard it would require that he not pick up a paper for 20 years and completely ignored what was written about Trent Lott.

I keep up pretty well. I read just about everything that's out there on race and culture, right and left.

"dog whistle" is not a political term, its political journalism. Different animal entirely.

And just to show you that I do. . .

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/04/new-paul-ryan-is-all-about-heart.html
  • . . . and offer no substantial solutions other than, "Stay married."

Not to belabor the point, but that's about the best anti-poverty program there is.
    And you do not think a politician reads political journalism?
  • And you do not think a politician reads political journalism?

Yeah, some. I don't know that elected officials read all of the opinion stuff that's out there. I think all the ivy league twentysomethings that write for the New Republic engage in the conceit that politicians hang on their every word, but I doubt they do. My only point is that "dog whistle" is a relatively new term.

Maybe it isn't. Maybe I missed it. But I see it everywhere now and two years ago I didn't see it anywhere.
    Not to belabor the point, but that's about the best anti-poverty program there is.

Not if there is no actual cause and effect relationship. The best program is to help women and not force them to stay in unhappy and abusive relationships. Pay them more. When wages for the upper class go up 475% there clearly is money there to pay people better. Give people better schools so their kids have a fighting chance. Make a college or vocational education something that does not require the equivalent of a home mortgage to afford. These are better programs that actually deal with the reality of life in the 21st century.

But I guess it is easier to sit in judgement of others and not think about the fact that there but for the grace of God, goes I.
  • But I guess it is easier to sit in judgement of others and not think about the fact that there but for the grace of God, goes I.

See, this is a cheap shot. But its effective. You accuse someone of being judgmental and they tend to lapse into embarrassed silence, lest they be accused of blaming the victim. As I've stated before, the victims of poverty are still victims, whether or not they made bad choices in the past. My issue here revolves around the shiftless males that tend to serve as **** donors and as little else. And yes, I am aware that the problem is widespread among poor whites. So what to do about it? The poverty rate hasn't budged in 50 years. 13 trillion dollars later, and the problem is still as intractable as ever. Why not advance a policy that clearly reduces poverty? Maybe that won't work either, but, as the politicians say, the advantage of encouraging people to marry is that its fiscal impact is basically zero.
    I accuse your words of being judgmental. Which they are. You are tying intractable poverty exclusively to behavior and not to the fact that opportunities may actually be scarce or that not everyone's circumstances are ideal.

What policy would you advocate? I am still waiting to hear something other than stay married.

BTW the poverty rate may not have changed. But just like your article about wealth being "dynamic" so is poverty. People are lifted out of it everyday and they do so with these very programs, you and Paul Ryan want to defund. Hell he got his college education on SS!
    My issue here revolves around the shiftless males that tend to serve as **** donors and as little else.

You are watching way too much Maury. What percentage of the poor are the result of such circumstances? What percentage of the working poor?

BTW as a conservative you would think the very notion of working poor would be offensive to you.

Here is where you and I agree. Men who are having babies and not providing for them should be punished.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.