The fellas are so happy

Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior MemberPosts: 970 Senior Member
To be back outside. They told me so.

image-4.jpg

image-5.jpg
"All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Catch and release, I assume?

Where do you keep them during the winter months? Any problems with wildlife trying to get an easy meal?
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    They live in a tank in a room I built off the garage for all my hobbies that needed to move out when kids were born. They'd be easy to catch as not very selective feeders.

The only issues I've had with animals is neighborhood dogs trying to cool off in the summer heat. I had to put in new liner this spring from the big choc lab fiasco last fall, which is why there is plastic out past brick liner and the pump is not hidden better. I have four koi that have really grown and three fair fish that survived.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,057 Senior Member
    Love the stream riffle.

Down here some use the smaller ones to catch bass.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    That riffle can be pretty good therapy after some long days. Some day there will be a riffle i can fish in the evenings out my back door.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    That big one had pine tar on its neck. 10 games.

Sent from my Nexus 7
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,976 Senior Member
    Koi are illegal to keep in Maine without a permit.
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
    It's ok I have concealed carry.

I imagine cause idiots release them into waters?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,271 Senior Member
    We have some huge koi in the lake by me from people releasing them. They will get right in there and spawn right along with the carp. Which looks wild when it happens.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,271 Senior Member
    Someone released one of these in the lake.

arowana+fish+picture.jpg

And a 20' long one of these.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ3Qu_qZwhyKHgdo3qu3U_chgnOljxUQhWzqnXBcslYJv-rClo
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,308 Senior Member
    I never saw it, but my cousin lived in Denver for a time and they had a koi pond that the fish stayed in year around. I know he said it froze over, but I am guessing it must have been pretty deep and aerated. I've also wanted one.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    tim_s wrote: »
    Koi are illegal to keep in Maine without a permit.

Or else your Chinese Restaurant will be raided.....like the Bundy Ranch. Ha.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.