Scholarship Athletes are Employees

2»

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,102 Senior Member
    Who called you a bigot?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,971 Senior Member
    Steven - let me clarify. I should have been more specific.

I do not think college athletes should be paid salaries. I do think they should get the equivalent of workers' comp if badly injured, should own the rights to their names and images once they leave the school and should retain whatever scholarships they received if they leave the team "under conditions other than dishonorable" as the military phrases it.

I also think that football and basketball college sports are the equivalent of baseball's minor league system and that it is naive to assume that the money they bring in is spent largely on academic improvement.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Who called you a bigot?
    This is how I took posts 20 and 22
    George K wrote: »
    Steven - let me clarify. I should have been more specific.

I do not think college athletes should be paid salaries. I do think they should get the equivalent of workers' comp if badly injured, should own the rights to their names and images once they leave the school and should retain whatever scholarships they received if they leave the team "under conditions other than dishonorable" as the military phrases it.

I also think that football and basketball college sports are the equivalent of baseball's minor league system and that it is naive to assume that the money they bring in is spent largely on academic improvement.

Comic? Could you please explain fungibility?

I think I noted early on that I had little issue with things surrounding medical care. And of course, I don't think a kid should lose his scholarship because his knee got destroyed by a 300 lb. DL.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,102 Senior Member
    Well I don't see it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Shocking.
    Anyway, whether you see it or not, Ouzel may now understand why the Rumsfeld comment was referenced. Or maybe not.
    Steven wrote: »
    This is how I took posts 20 and 22

Only the Hexed One knows for sure. I thought the wording very ambiguous, but believe he referred to Rumsfeld.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I'm not saying.
    It doesn't matter. Either way, I'm long over it. Only brought it up because OP thought he found an opportunity to take a shot and call me bush league for some reason.
    Hextall wrote: »
    I'm not saying.

Post of the day
    It doesn't matter. Either way, I'm long over it. Only brought it up because OP thought he found an opportunity to take a shot and call me bush league for some reason.

I'd of thought you'd be happy to be considered to be in Bush's league.

Go figure.
    Who doesn't love Bush?
    Who doesn't love Bush?

A rhetorical question, one trusts.
    I think it might be closer to a presupposition.
    Yes, but a somewhat optimistic one.
    Yeah, no kidding.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.