Home The Lodge

-41 Degrees Tonight

ricinusricinus Senior MemberPosts: 6,210 Senior Member
Plus a wind chill of -50, same for Sunday morn.. Enough already!!

Mike
My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Replies

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,021 Senior Member
    -40??? **** that is cold are we talking Fahrenheit or Celsius here. ;)
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,995 Senior Member
    If that's Fahrenheit, then it'll be 90 degrees warmer down here.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    -21 here tonight. Might have to wear shirt tomorrow.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
    FishTX wrote: »
    If that's Fahrenheit.

It is a trick question for thermal nerds like myself.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,995 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    It is a trick question for thermal nerds like myself.

Speaking of thermal nerds, explain the tea candle/flower pot heaters. I understand the pots heating up quite a bit due to the clay's insulating quality. But the candles can't generate more heat under the pots. The energy still "dissipates" as heat moves from a warmer body (air molecule in the room) to a cooler body (other molecules). Seems that all the pots do is temporarily slow the transfer of energy to the air until the outer pot begins to heat above the room's temperature. Whether burning in the open, or under the pots, the candles generate the same calories per unit time.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    FishTX wrote: »
    Speaking of thermal nerds, explain the tea candle/flower pot heaters. I understand the pots heating up quite a bit due to the clay's insulating quality. But the candles can't generate more heat under the pots. The energy still "dissipates" as heat moves from a warmer body (air molecule in the room) to a cooler body (other molecules). Seems that all the pots do is temporarily slow the transfer of energy to the air until the outer pot begins to heat above the room's temperature. Whether burning in the open, or under the pots, the candles generate the same calories per unit time.

Huh. I had never heard of this until seeing you post then had to Google what the heck you were talking about. That is kind of cool. The video I saw had some dude using this on carpet. I sure as hell wouldn't do that but then again what do I know.

So on to the thermal aspects of it. Yes, you are right, the amount of heat the candles can put out is the same with or without the pot. What is happening here is that you have reduced the volume of air the candles are heating. By trapping the air in the pots instead of letting it freely circulate through the room you are heating that small volume of air to a higher temperature. You are then using that air to heat the pot which then radiates to whole room....kind of like a wood burning stove would do. The total energy produced in the entire volume of the room is still the same.
    Oh and I was being a smart **** earlier -40C and -40F are equal to each other. God I am a dork.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    knowing this means you might be a Canadian..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    ricinus wrote: »
    knowing this means you might be a Canadian..

Mike

Nope. I don't believe I have any Canuckistan blood in me. ;)

I know this because it is my job. For all the work we do everything is in degrees C. Celsius makes so much sense. We mostly use bastardized units for all our analysis though. All our lengths are in inches', we use C not F and Watts not BTUs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement