Harry Reid kicks Obama in the nuts

Good ol' Harry.

After the President calls on Congress "to work together on tools like bipartisan trade promotion authority," at the SOTU, Harry announces the next morning that, "I'm against fast track," and I think everyone would be well-advised just not to push this right now."

We've got two major deals being worked on with the EU and Asia-Pacific (not including China).

Apparently Harry didn't buy it when the President said the trade deals would help boost hiring at small businesses.

Replies

• EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,958 Senior Member
    Good for Harry, the TPP and the EU deal would facilitate and codify the corporate takeover of the world, just as they rule the U.S. now.
  • Jonathan, Jonathan, Jonathan....
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    I have to admit to being somewhat confused about this new trade issue. Living as I do inside the liberal echo chamber I'm getting conflicting information and it's all from the Dem point of view. So what's the deal? Good deal or Bad.

And who's Jonathan?
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,000 Senior Member
    I'm glad to hear you think the pres still has a pair!
  • I believe, as do most economists and apparently the President, that more trade is better than less, on the whole. Like everything else, some people will be hurt. Some of these people likely vote Democrat.

Fast track, as I understand it, means that the Administration can negotiate an agreement, and the Senate agrees not to change it, just vote it up or down. The politics of free trade are just as tough elsewhere as they are here. No foreign government is going to negotiate what could be a politically tough agreement, just to have our Senate change it on them.

The premise of the 1975 sci-fi movie "Roller Ball" is that there are no longer countries. The world is ruled by various corporate cartels. Jonathan E. represented the man the cartels couldn't break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IguzgGx7y-8
  • creekguy wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear you think the pres still has a pair!

A pair? No.
    Synapses that connect? Maybe.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Came in on the tail end of a good discussion of it on NPR just now but still don't know how I land on this one. That corporations ruling the world scenario creeps closer everyday and meanwhile wealth continues to accumulate in fewer and fewer hands
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    meanwhile wealth continues to accumulate in fewer and fewer hands

That's just not true, Scott.

http://forums.flyfisherman.com/showthread.php?11035-Income-Inequality-is-disappearing
  • Not same-same, Buff.

Your numbers show that income inequality has gone down. Not the same as wealth inequality has gone down.

Not saying Scott's right (although he probably is) but just that your numbers don't prove he's wrong.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    You gonna play the data game with Butner? You better bring your big boy pants.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,041 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I believe, as do most economists and apparently the President, that more trade is better than less, on the whole. Like everything else, some people will be hurt. Some of these people likely vote Democrat.

Fast track, as I understand it, means that the Administration can negotiate an agreement, and the Senate agrees not to change it, just vote it up or down. The politics of free trade are just as tough elsewhere as they are here. No foreign government is going to negotiate what could be a politically tough agreement, just to have our Senate change it on them.

The premise of the 1975 sci-fi movie "Roller Ball" is that there are no longer countries. The world is ruled by various corporate cartels. Jonathan E. represented the man the cartels couldn't break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IguzgGx7y-8

I love an obscure reference. But I hate it when I don't catch it.

Too bad the idiots that made the remake didn't understand this. That or the corporations have already assumed control and forced the change in storyline.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • I didn't see the remake. The 1975 version was so good.

You can forget just how good James Caan was.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

Is annual income a good metric of "wealth"? I'm not so sure, but state your case.

I can't remember where I saw this video (maybe even here), but this is an illustration of the wealth breakdown in the US:
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I didn't comment in the previous post because the analysis simply wasn't there - average incomes tell us very little about wealth distribution especially because in most of the income statistics, earnings on investments simply aren't included as I understand it.
  • I didn't comment in the previous post because the analysis simply wasn't there - average incomes tell us very little about wealth distribution especially because in most of the income statistics, earnings on investments simply aren't included as I understand it.

Income statistics would include gains on investments, but only when the gains are actually realized.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.