DSLR Recommendation?

swizzswizz Senior MemberPosts: 2,559 Senior Member
I done broke my Oly E420 a whilst back and might pick something up on "cyber Monday".
Gotta keep it under $500, don't want another Oly, and needs to come with at least one lens.
Candidates so far Nikon D3100, Nikon D3200, and Canon T3.
Good choices? Are there other models I should be looking at that some of you fine photographers could recommend?
Many thanks.
All of your Trout are belong to me.

Replies

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    I would recommend asking Sherb.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    I would recommend asking Sherb.
    **** good idea, I will do that!
    Meanwhile, this looks pretty good cuz it comes with a 1:3.5 - 5.5 VR lens: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856049-REG/Nikon_25492_D3200_DSLR_Camera_With.html
    Maybe it'll be an even lower price on Monday.
  • ****. I wish I could help. I just use my Iphone.

My wife has the Nikon D3200 and she likes it. I know that much.
    Thanks!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,582 Senior Member
    Wife and I have a T3. We like it. I've also used a Nikon at work. It's a good camera. I think it all comes down to how instinctive the interface is for you, honestly.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I have a D5100 and like it, even though it is way more camera than I need..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    I think it all comes down to how instinctive the interface is for you, honestly.
    I'm used to the Oly interface but I can learn any and don't mind the challenge. I'm mostly an auto-shoot photographer. I need to do more research on the T3, same price range... the 1:3.5 VR lens has my attention now though.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,805 Senior Member
    If you belong to Costco or similar they have great Black Friday deals on two lens Nikon and Canon combos, or the longer range Canon 18-135mm lens kit. If smaller size and lighter weight appeals to you, consider a micro 4/3 camera such as the Lumix G6. If you do not need a viewfinder there are lower price models from both Lumix and Olympus Pen ( avoid the 12MB sensors, go for 16MB)
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Thanks George!
    I absolutely have to have a viewfinder. Mostly attracted to Canon and Nikon for lens quality. Not too concerned with compactness anymore. I already own a couple of Oly 4/3 lenses but have decided to bail on that system. The Oly lens quality (for the two that came with my E420) was only so-so. Also done with Olympus. Memory card door malfunctioned which will not allow the camera to operate. Repair estimate was in excess of $200 and the camera with lenses is no longer worth that. Really disappointed that such a trivial malfunction renders it useless but it is what it is... needless to say I no longer trust Olympus quality.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,771 Senior Member
    Canon or Nikon.

Not sure how much your planning on getting into it but here are a few things to consider.

Your buying a "system" so look at the offerings that you might be interested in later. For me I like wildlife so I was going to be moving up to long lenses eventually. Canon IMO has a better selection in that area. I chose Canon.

The glass is where you want to invest your money. That's where the magic happens. Unless I found just a killer combo deal I'd buy body only and then pick a nice lens to cover the type of photography you plan to use it on.

I think Nikon does a better job in low light, higher iso, though Canon is closing the gap.

Don't expect perfect results right out of the camera. Save some money to spend on software to develop and organize your shots. I think Adobe Lightroom is a great low cost solution. It's intuitive, non destructive to the files, and has a great filing system.

Consider buying used from a reputable seller. You can get more bang for your buck.
    Mike,
    Thank you... and I think your photography is incredible by the way!
    My biggest factor right now (besides features) is that my budget has to be under $500. I don't wanna buy a body then wait until I can afford a super nice lens... but I want a super nice lens!
    My conclusion thus far after searching for deals under $500 (looking at the offerings from Adorama and B&H), are leading me to something like the D3200 bundle that I linked. Instead of being bundled with two "fair" quality lenses it comes with one 18-55 of higher quality. The two lens bundle is definitely more practical but I value lens quality highly (as you suggested). So with a bundle of this type I could hit the ground running with one nice lens and save up for a kick **** bigger lens in the future. An entry level DSLR body like the T3, D3200, or D3100 would more than suit my technical needs.
    Hopefully that makes sense.
    swizz wrote: »
    ... something like the D3200 bundle
    edit: I meant Brack Friday Bundaru
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    Swizz,
    Not sure if you are on groupon or even if this will display, but I was just saw this. I think you said T3 (but I don't know jack about cameras so not sure this is the one)?

Anyway if the link doesn't work let me know...but it is listed for 500 bucks

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-canon-eos-rebel-t3-slr-camera-and-accessories-bundle?p=12&utm_source=channel_goods_redesign-deals&utm_medium=email&sid=c626904f-bb5f-40b2-86f8-3fdc06fc538e&division=denver&user=71ea347ae4588ebdcbc00ca1a27591d93cfbafaffd7f3eaf93db57696dcecd7c&date=20131128&s=body&c=deal_img&d=deal-page
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,988 Senior Member
    I know jack about DSLR cameras also... any reason Sony DSLR hasn't been mentioned?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sony%20dslr

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks Swizz.
    Yea I would certainly go with the better glass over more glass. Beware though, it gets easier and easier to spend $500, $1000, $2500, on gear. Its a worthwhile pursuit though. I get about as much satisfaction from it as I do from being on the water. Never thought that was possible.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,944 Senior Member
    Don't get the T3. I have it. It is a good camera, but is a stripped down model. The T3i or the older T2i are full featured. The older T2i might be a little better at higher ISOs. With the latter two, you'll have more compatibility with flashes and other equipment such as wireless flash triggers that are TTL (through the lens) capable.

So if you go Canon, I'd get the T2i and you should be able to find one with the kit lens in your price range.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    joekrz wrote: »
    I know jack about DSLR cameras also... any reason Sony DSLR hasn't been mentioned?

That's a point. There is an Austin based pro who uses a lot of Sony dSLR cameras for much of his work.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,805 Senior Member
    Sony has far fewer lenses than Canon or Nikon. I second FishTX's suggestion to get a 2i or 3i rather than the 3, which is the equivalent of the "decontented" stripper cars with low, low prices in car ads.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    I owned two of the Sony DSLR's (revamped Minolta's). Great cameras, great lenses, great everything. I really wish I had kept the 700 and Zeiss lens I had. Problem was if you needed camera stuff it was hard to find and choice was very limited. Honestly I can't say anything negative other than the limited availability of other gear. The in body IS on Sony DSLR's is genius. Why pay for IS every time you buy a lens. The camera's OS software was also very good. Loved the way it sensed when the camera was at my eye and began focusing on it's own.
  • JLTJLT Senior Member Posts: 484 Senior Member
    I'd spend the extra 50 and get the 3Ti with the 18 - 55 lens, you won't be sorry.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    As I make travel plans for the coming years one of my issues has been just what type of camera makes the most sense. I know very little about the new DSLR's so the discussion above has really helped. I know I want something that will accommodate longer lenses and also something that is wireless/WIFI capable. Thanks for the good info.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
    When I bought my Nikon, I thought about buying just the body and picking up good lens as I went along. I quickly discovered a $500 cost would balloon to $5000 fairly easily. I decided to go with a bundle and am happy with that decision. The lens are more than adequate for an amateur like myself..

Good luck on your decision..

Mike
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I don't think it matters very much. pretty much any of the cameras in this price range are going to perform well; none will stick with you if you decide to get a LOT more serious about the hobby (people's desire for cool gear generally outstrips their actual needs by an order of magnitude or more, so it has less to do with the limitations of the camera, than it does with the pace of technology and human nature). I personally am in the "buy Canon or Nikon" camp but can't honestly say that I can defend that position -- I spend as little time as possible looking at cameras until I actually need a new one, because it just makes me question the one I have, and want something else.

the key thing is that whatever you get, invest the time in using it often and adventurously, and the rest pretty much takes care of itself.
    Thanks again for the advice everyone, definitely most helpful. I made my choice.
    I wound up ordering the Nikon D3200 with f1:3.5 - 5.6, 18-55mm lens... the same Brack Friday Bundaru that I linked on the first page from B&H. I'll be happy with that until I can afford a nice bigger lens in the future. My friend ordered himself a used Canon 40D body from B&H also.... for under $400. That looked like a kick **** body, 6.5 fps... speedy for an older camera. He already has Canon lenses and is a semi-pro photographer so it was a no brainer for him. I think the 40D is on a different level than the D3200.
    Good Choice!!

Mike
    I'm sure you will be happy with it.

I think so. My Oly's been broken for a little over a year and it's torture having to use a smartphone. I liked the Olympus too. I still have two film SLRs that I know well but didn't feel compelled enough to dust them off while I was camera-less. I can't wait!
    swizz wrote: »
    I still have two film SLRs that I know well but didn't feel compelled enough to dust them off while I was camera-less.
    Butner junior.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.