Ask Sherb anything.

1235»

Replies

• Hextall wrote: »
    Let's make this round about fishing.

When was your last time out fishing? How did it go?

I can remember a half dozen special fish I caught and or how I caught them. Do you have any fish you caught that you reminisce about? Tell us the story of two of them if so.

Do you prefer fishing with someone or alone?

What is on your fishing wish list?

How many fly rods do you own?

Do you get jealous when fishing with someone and they are catching and you aren't?

In a day of fishing, would you rather catch 20 below average size fish, or one monster?

How often do you get skunked?

I went first weekend in November, swinging spey flies for steelhead. Blanked.

The Atlantic Salmon I caught in Gaspe in June was a special fish. That was a great day. That fish pulled so 'effin hard.
    two years ago I went up to a little creek in the mountains and spent the entire weekend Euro-nymphing for cutthroat. That was a fun trip considering no fish was bigger than 14"

I prefer to fish with someone if I'm just in the mood to get out. Have some laughs, drink some kings, etc. When I want to fish, I usually do it alone.

Norway above the arctic circle for Atlantics; Olympic Penninsula Steelhead; Christmas Island. Bass in front of the new house.

Off the top of my head, I'd say a dozen or so. I have two spey rods and two switch rods, 3 rods made specifically for euro-nymphing, and then the usual assortment of 5-6 weights.

No. Fishing should be fun. When its not fun, find something else.

Depends. If I'm swinging flies, one big one is more than enough. Euro nymphing on my local river is a numbers game. The numbers validate the method.

More often than I'd like. Especially for Steelhead. its always hit and miss.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,000 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I went first weekend in November, swinging spey flies for steelhead. Blanked.

The Atlantic Salmon I caught in Gaspe in June was a special fish. That was a great day. That fish pulled so 'effin hard.
    two years ago I went up to a little creek in the mountains and spent the entire weekend Euro-nymphing for cutthroat. That was a fun trip considering no fish was bigger than 14"

I prefer to fish with someone if I'm just in the mood to get out. Have some laughs, drink some kings, etc. When I want to fish, I usually do it alone.

Norway above the arctic circle for Atlantics; Olympic Penninsula Steelhead; Christmas Island. Bass in front of the new house.

Off the top of my head, I'd say a dozen or so. I have two spey rods and two switch rods, 3 rods made specifically for euro-nymphing, and then the usual assortment of 5-6 weights.

No. Fishing should be fun. When its not fun, find something else.

Depends. If I'm swinging flies, one big one is more than enough. Euro nymphing on my local river is a numbers game. The numbers validate the method.

More often than I'd like. Especially for Steelhead. its always hit and miss.

If you get to northern Norway the salmon fishing will be expensive and not the best. The best probably is the hard to access and outrageously expensive if you do Laerdalselv , Norway's version of the Test and Itchen. It's is in a beautiful valley near one of the best stave churches to visit in central Norway. The town is home to Solvkroken. If you go, visit the factory where they will be happy to show you a not-for-sale 14' one piece split bamboo Spey rod.

Even better is go "round the horn" to the Kola Penninsula. But don't use the same fly-in pilot as these two Brits: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2373197/Russian-crash-site-British-salmon-fishermen-guide-killed-spinning-blades-downed-helicopter.html

Salmon fishing in Norway can be inexpensive if you just want the experience and do not care about being skunked or settling for five pounders. Oddly enough, in the far north Artic Char are not nearly as valued, thus stream access is easy. A ten pound char will cause you to wonder why folks are so eager to catch 20 lb salmon.

Now to my question - I've never cast a switch rod. What can it do that my 9'6" 7 wt single handed rod and my 12' 6" 7/8 wt Sage Spey rod can not?
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Nothing, really. Its not a rod of necessity. Its just a shorter spey rod. You can either spey cast with it or overhand cast it. I like to use mine to nymph, or to swing smaller water.

Assuming I can actually get to Europe, I'm quite certain the wife will insist on the Basque country. Norway is on my fishing wish-list, but in all likelihood it will stay a wish.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,291 Senior Member
    Sherb,
    How many people did you punch, kick, taser, and/or shoot today to get cheap $hit at Walmart?
  • I worked today sir.
  • bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    Have you ever convicted an innocent man?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory."
    Aldo Leopold
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,565 Senior Member
    Have you ever worked in a line from A Few Good Men while questioning a witness?

If not, I want you to make it your life's work to say, "Did you order the Code Red?!!"
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Sherb,

I am a fancy man. My wife she wants to put in laminate wood flooring. I ripped out all the carpet, tile and removed the baseboards. Here is the rub. I say we hire someone to install. She thinks I should give it a run. You will decide this for us. Do we hire out or do I install? Remember, I am a fancy man.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,565 Senior Member
    I'm not sherb, but I did sleep with him at a holiday inn express last night

As someone who has put it in, hire it out.
  • Bak4Mor wrote: »
    Sherb,

I am a fancy man. My wife she wants to put in laminate wood flooring. I ripped out all the carpet, tile and removed the baseboards. Here is the rub. I say we hire someone to install. She thinks I should give it a run. You will decide this for us. Do we hire out or do I install? Remember, I am a fancy man.

Do it yourself. It's not bad. Get a good table saw and a chop saw to rip the pieces. It's not that hard, just tedious.

Yes I have done it.
  • Buffco wrote: »
    Have you ever worked in a line from A Few Good Men while questioning a witness?

If not, I want you to make it your life's work to say, "Did you order the Code Red?!!"

Yes...but in a training, not a trial.
  • bakerloo wrote: »
    Have you ever convicted an innocent man?

Not yet. Knock on wood
    Sherb,
    Guessing you are not a big drinker of either...but Coke or Pepsi?

How about beer...what's your favorite?

If that doesn't work how about mixed drink? Or straight up?
  • Wild turkey 101 is my latest drink du jour.

I like Budweiser when I fish.

(Diet) coke.
  • I choose Buffco for the next AMA.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I choose Buffco for the next AMA.

So it has been chosen. So it shall be.

Buffco, at your leisure, start your ama.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,014 Senior Member
    One more for Sherbet:
    You mentioned Spain, and in particular, the Basque region a couple if times. I understand there is a Basque community in Boise. Do you or your wife have any Spanish/Basque heritage?

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
    Wife is basque

Sherb I know your time has come and gone, but I just remembered this one because my Dad and I were talking about Basques. Have you ever had a picon punch?
  • No, can't say as I have. What is it?
    No, can't say as I have. What is it?

A really stiff drink...my buddies dad is Basque and we'd occasionally go eat at a few of the Basque restaurants in town...oh man these thing pack a punch...

http://euskalkazeta.com/ek/?p=13853

Picon Punch Cocktail Recipe

Ingredients:

2 oz Amer Picon (Torani Amer)
    Soda Water
    1/2 oz Grenadine
    1/2 oz brandy
    Lemon peel (1/2 oz Lemon juice)

Directions. Shake the amer picon, lemon juice and grenadine well with ice and strain into a highball glass filled with ice. Top with soda, garnish with fruit, and serve in a highball glass.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Sherb, you know how we share the list of movies on TNT, AMC, TBS, etc that suck us in for an afternoon and basically stall our lives (i.e. Shawshank, Red October, etc).

Is it shameful to add You Got Mail to this list? Because that happened to me yesterday.
  • I added that years ago. I love Greg Kinnear's character, the world's foremost expert on Ethel and Julius Rosenberg.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.