Drone Zone

NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior MemberPosts: 9,991 Senior Member

Replies

• EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,926 Senior Member
    We all do, the restrictions in those states that have them will be ignored if the government (CIA/NSA/Homeland Security) decides to fly drones over those states.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    After purchasing my GoPro camera on a whim this past Monday, I just put this on my wish list.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,015 Senior Member
    My experiences with RC boats and aircraft being what they are, I don't know if I'd care to risk my camera on one.

Jim
    magalloway wrote: »
    My experiences with RC boats and aircraft being what they are, I don't know if I'd care to risk my camera on one.

Jim

What are these experiences? I had an rc plane I built as a teenager, but never flew it. A year ago I was infatuated with a particular rc car, but got distracted and didn't pull the trigger buying (baja 5b).

There are some stories about the drone I linked when the batteries are low not responding....

Also, the drone is more than the camera.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I think drones could deliver pizza..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    I think drones could deliver pizza..

Mike

Already done.

http://www.mlive.com/business/index.ssf/2013/06/dominos_pizza_in_uk_uses_drone.html
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,948 Senior Member
    I've been reading up on the four to eight rotor copters. I'd be fine with a camera attached. They very stable and some can be programed to fly back to their starting point.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    Really cool technology and I hope that I can afford something like this in the near future.
    My primary uses would include:
    1. Surveying 40 acres of my mining claims.
    2. Video showcasing the log home projects I've completed for business advertising purposes.
    3. Filming difficult cruxes on Jeep adventures from a new perspective.
    4. Maybe buzz one down the river to see if anyone's squatting on my favorite bend?
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,948 Senior Member
    You can get them from dirt cheap to outrageous depending on your needs (recreation to work). I think I looked at the one Hextall posted and it was around. $500.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    FishTX wrote: »
    I think I looked at the one Hextall posted and it was around. $500.
    That's not too bad and looks like it seats a GoPro easily enough.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Great name for a garage band.
    swizz wrote: »
    That's not too bad and looks like it seats a GoPro easily enough.

I think it was designed from the beginning to fit the gopro. There are gimbal attachments available as well to stabilize the camera so the recording is level. There's tons of youtube videos of it in action... search "DJI Phantom"

There is even an accessory where you can wear these goggles with screens built in and view via the gopro (virtual reality).

My wish list is chocked full of childish adult toys like this.
    Hextall wrote: »
    I think it was designed from the beginning to fit the gopro. There are gimbal attachments available as well to stabilize the camera so the recording is level. There's tons of youtube videos of it in action... search "DJI Phantom"

My wish list is chocked full of childish adult toys like this.
    Well, if I use it for business advertising purposes I'm pretty sure that I can do a tax write-off for the camera and drone. This might be on my wish list for next year.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    I've been reading up on the four to eight rotor copters. I'd be fine with a camera attached. They very stable and some can be programed to fly back to their starting point.

A friend of mine used one of those for a fishing film he made about WI. Right at the 10 second mark and again at 1:18
    Very cool Joe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.