I'm not a big fan of HDR photography....

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
....but once in a while it's fun to play with.

I've been providing some photo services to a friend who is restoring a 115 year old hotel in Walla Walla (about 45 miles from here) and turning it into an art/performance space. First step is to turn the lobby area into a performance space for musicians -- last week was the debut performance by the Michael Kaeshammer Trio (look him up on Youtube -- pretty amazing pianist) -- this week's performance was a debut concert by a young man named Campbell Davis who's a remarkably good songwriter for a 16 year old. His debut CD had all the members of new-grass band Mountain Heart appear on it, and they flew up from Nashville to serve as his backup band for the show. (BTW, I also watched this kid open the show for Ziggy Marley a couple of years ago -- at age 14 -- and blow away the house).

Anyway, here's some pics from the hotel lobby -- a month ago this place was loose plaster, broken moldings, and dust. The team did an amazing job of renovation. Looking forward to the spring when I will have an exhibit of my own work there.

BTW, the first of these is a classic HDR photo, three exposures, compiled in Photomatix. The others are psuedo HDR -- taking advantage of the bit depth of the Nikon and then manipulating the heck out of them in Lightroom but still using only a single image as a starting point.

10902995374_83645df700_b.jpg
DSC_4515_6_7 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

10902809755_062758b5ec_b.jpg
DSC_4523 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

10903056423_794257de01_b.jpg
DSC_4632 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

10896411425_0ebb3be470_b.jpg
DSC_4550 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

10896186385_4647f750c1_b.jpg
DSC_4628 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

10895982245_b2bef17813_b.jpg
DSC_5040 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

10896129144_f40c94e5d9_b.jpg
DSC_5037 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

10896165403_9860a46b69_b.jpg
DSC_5342 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

Replies

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    It certainly gives a different effect, the first picture is almost 3D.. Not sure which effect I would prefer..

Nice job anyways,

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Don NewtonDon Newton Senior Member Posts: 431 Senior Member
    HDR photography would certainly help with "critterating". The only problem would be keeping the critters still long enough to get the exposures needed. Pseudo HDR has potential for me. I'll study it and see what I can bring out! THANKS, Scott!
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,105 Senior Member
    I really like it. Especially that first one.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    it is fun to play with. Even I've tried it just to see....but..... It can work real well in some photo manipulation.

I have seen a few (non P-M) that I've liked, the photographers showed a lot of restraint.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,959 Senior Member
    Very dramatic interior shots, Scott. What lens were you using?
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Very dramatic interior shots, Scott. What lens were you using?

14-24mm f/2.8 Nikkor. All Tripod mounted. D800
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,023 Senior Member
    I like the pseudo HDR. They have a more realistic look to them, and still pop.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    14-24mm f/2.8 Nikkor. All Tripod mounted. D800

Thanks. Did you leave in the WA distortion by design or can it not be eliminated in HDR photos?

My WA zoom is an M. Zuiko 9-18 (18-36 FF equiv.) that has become the one lens I never leave at home. One thing I like is that using a grid pattern in the viewfinder I can all but eliminate distortion. Panasonic makes a 7-14, but it is large, heavy and does not take filters (except by DIY rear holder devices). I would love a small, light constant aperture 14-24 equivalent M43 lens.
    distortion left in for dramatic effect. These were photos to make the place look interesting, not for documentary purposes. Wide angle distortion can be overdone, and perhaps it is here, but it has its place, just like everything else.
    I do not think it overdone, I was just curious if it was by choice or due to the limits of the HDR process.
    HDR doesn't really affect lens angle, etc in any way that I can think of -- so doesn't impose any constraints other than that the scene not be changing so rapidly in the time it takes to shoot multiple frames that there's ghosting. I suppose using HDR techniques on intrinsically low contrast/low dynamic range scenes might be kind of odd, too.

However, in my own experience, I've found that if I use it intentionally to add drama and depth to a photo -- then the near-infinite depth of field and dramatic angles of a super wide lens tend to complement that choice of processing technique (at least, in my opinion). If I use more subtle forms of HDR, then that doesn't necessarily apply.

SB

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.