Life in the Back Yard, Part 2 - Spiders I have Known

Don NewtonDon Newton Senior MemberPosts: 431 Senior Member
Hello, boys and girls. 'Tis time to share some more of LIFE IN THE BACK YARD. In the spirit of Halloween, I tho't it appropriate to post images of some of my friends, and yours, spiders. The only real problem with spiders is that they invariably look so spidery. They can't help it - they are hatched that way to do what they do, trap and eat insects, some birds, some mice ... you know, the cute cuddly critters of the world. Spiders are cute in their own way. They are wondrously constructed to do what Nature intended them to do.

With that in mind, here we go:

You have not been spit upon until you have been spit upon by a spitting spider, Scytodes sp..
Scytodes_sp_20100615_51_850x850_.jpg
The physics, targeting, vectoring of the "spit" and the chemistry of the web that envelops the spider's dinner is fascinating, indeed!

I have encountered this "furry" jumping spider, Polycryptus undatus, in Georgia and Arkansas.
Platycryptus_undatus_20120930_002_850x605_.jpg
It is one of the first spiders I see after the cold of winter.

Don't know too much, if anything about this ground sac spider, Trachelus tranquillus:
Trachelus_tranquilus_ground_sac_spider_20130927_101_850x607_2_.jpg

Note the nice lines on the "abdomen" of Acacesia hamata.
Acacesia_hamata_20130826_20130826_051_850x850_.jpg
This beauty has a problem attached to it - a parasitic grub of a parasitic wasp, (ID unknown).

This is a true example of maternal instinct: Peucetia viridans.
Peucetia_viridans_20101031_24_2_850x967_.jpg
I found her in late September with juveniles crawling all around her nursery web. Here on Halloween most of the yougins had scattered to the world.

Now for a neat, tidy spider, I give you Gea heptagon, a male.
Gea_heptagon_male_20130830_031_850x850_.jpg

And now, the stereotypical spider, Neoscona crucifera, the one that builds its web outside your front door, in your face and between you and your car. This is the one that stimulates cries and squeals of horror and induces feelings of doom.
Neoscona_crucifera_female_20130818_014_850x679_.jpg

Neoscona is indeed a lovely critter, compared to her mate, a robust fellow at that. Be grateful that this mature, full grown specimen of male virility does not spin a web. Oh, to be sure, younger males spin webs to catch nutriment on the wing. But this guy wonders around and, I'm sure, has his way with a lady spider of the same species.
Neoscona_crucifera_male_20130815_020_850x1063_.jpg

Hope you can find it within yourselves to tolerate these wonders of Nature. Have a Happy Halloween.

Replies

• ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Ever see tarantulas in Georgia?
  • Don NewtonDon Newton Senior Member Posts: 431 Senior Member
    Nope, though I'm sure some of their kin are here, at least one of which I've encountered
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Nice work Don..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,860 Senior Member
    Great pics as usual, Don!
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,998 Senior Member
    Appropriate Halloween thread. I'd send a link to my friend, Christine, but she wouldn't talk to me again. Amazing strong woman, but scared of spiders. Doesn't like to be around the plastic spiders that come out at Halloween. Man, she gave me an evil look just for holding one near her.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,922 Senior Member
    Very good work!
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Amazing pictures.
    How big is that Neoscona thing in real life?
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,311 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    Appropriate Halloween thread. I'd send a link to my friend, Christine, but she wouldn't talk to me again. Amazing strong woman, but scared of spiders. Doesn't like to be around the plastic spiders that come out at Halloween. Man, she gave me an evil look just for holding one near her.

I changed the word spiders to ****. And it worked.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,922 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »

Invite her over for movie night and watch Kingdom Of The Spiders with William Shatner. I have seen this turkey only because an old friend had a supporting role.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.