Tea Partiers better at science than Non-Tea Partiers

Replies

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,897 Senior Member
    ...which makes them all the more pathetic.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    This is a poorly written article, though I'll admit to being surprised.
    "Yale law professor Dan Kahan posted on his blog this week that he analyzed the responses of more than 2,000 American adults recruited for another study and found that, on average, people who leaned liberal were more science literate than those who leaned conservative."
    Then it goes on to say, "However, those who identified as part of the tea party movement were actually better versed in science than those who didn’t,..."
    Are "those who didn't" those conservatives who didn't, or everyone in the study? It's unclear.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    We can distinguish perhaps those who self identify as Tea Party "members" from those who attend the rallies and give many of the speeches, who often appear as idiots. The TP movement to me is essentially a rebellious statement that the world is going to hell. And...they are right in many respects. Congress is down to 8% approval rating.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,417 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    The TP movement to me is essentially a rebellious statement that the world is going to hell.

Not the world so much as an over reaching federal gov't.

And if they are rebellious, they've got to be the most weak **** form of rebellion I've ever seen. I've seen cheerleading squads more rebellious.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,024 Senior Member
    yatahey wrote: »
    Are "those who didn't" those conservatives who didn't, or everyone in the study? It's unclear.
    Unclear, but if A is greater than B, and B greater than C, then A is greater than C. Problem is the article doesn't make clear if A is liberal or TP.

A more important part is a good chunk of the TP crowd may be science literate, but also science deniers. Ideology of substance?
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.