Lens hood

JLTJLT Senior MemberPosts: 484 Senior Member
I want to get one for my 18 - 55.

So what makes a Canon @ $27, better than say an AR brand at $5.44?

Also Tulip or Round?

Also I'm using a Rockfish UV filter that I think might be causing some of my glare issues when photographing on a sunny day. So would I be better off with a better fitler or will a hood take care of I'm getting.

Below is an example of what I'm getting. Also I've got a star filter over my UV filter.

10004382744_21738e18c9_b.jpg

Replies

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,165 Senior Member
    If it fits properly, a cheap filter should do just fine. Since you have 18mm in full frame or about 29mm with a crop sensor, I'd get the tuplip, unless you can be sure you are getting a round hood that is wide enough to avoid a vignette.

I have a few cheap filters, but a good rule is you get what you pay for in a filter. Better filters reduce the chance of a distorted image. The filter may or may not be responsible for some of that flare. It is a contra-jour photo. :)
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I've actually stopped using filters for lens protection. I find the image quality takes a slight dive even when I use a good one.

I like the tulip shades for wide lenses as long as they lock in place. If they move it ends up being a source of vignetting
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,196 Senior Member
    I had an 18-55mm Canon. Either style lens hood will work, the tulip probably is better than the round for overhead sun. Go for the cheap one, name brand lens hoods are a major profit center (sounds better than 'effing rip off) for Canikon, Olympus et al unless the interior is flocked, then they are just overpriced.

I'm not as fussy as Scott, do not make huge enlargements, nor does my livelihood depend on the best possible image. I always use a filter - UV or polarizer - for protection.

But for the most part ,cheap filters are the Devil incarnate, adding glare, distortion and internal reflections. The only exception I have found are Pro 1D multicoated filters (not Hoya branded, which are mid-level in price) filters

http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging-super-Violet-Coated-Filter/dp/B0042J6E00/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380509894&sr=8-2&keywords=pro+1d+55mm

BTW - It almost looks as if you have the star filter effect turned on in the in-camera "art filters" as well as significant glare.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • JLTJLT Senior Member Posts: 484 Senior Member
    Nope I don't have any art filters in the camera.

Comedy filter was working over time

1233017_4723565066321_815210842_o.jpg

I took this photo ~ 90° of "Lucky"

1294485_4721850303453_1616061961_o.jpg
    George K wrote: »
    I had an 18-55mm Canon. Either style lens hood will work, the tulip probably is better than the round for overhead sun. Go for the cheap one, name brand lens hoods are a major profit center (sounds better than 'effing rip off) for Canikon, Olympus et al unless the interior is flocked, then they are just overpriced.

I'm not as fussy as Scott, do not make huge enlargements, nor does my livelihood depend on the best possible image. I always use a filter - UV or polarizer - for protection.

But for the most part ,cheap filters are the Devil incarnate, adding glare, distortion and internal reflections. The only exception I have found are Pro 1D multicoated filters (not Hoya branded, which are mid-level in price) filters

http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging-super-Violet-Coated-Filter/dp/B0042J6E00/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380509894&sr=8-2&keywords=pro+1d+55mm

BTW - It almost looks as if you have the star filter effect turned on in the in-camera "art filters" as well as significant glare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.