Doing Something Cool Over the Holiday Weekend?

Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior MemberPosts: 6,818 Senior Member
Not so much here. I have annual leave (vacation time to you non-civil servants) scheduled for Fri and Tue, but I'm going to cancel it. It will be crowded in them thar hills. One of the thoughts was to head up to the H-Fork but its going to be too **** hot to camp. We're going to wait a few weeks and hopefully it will cool down.
So, are you hunkering down to avoid the crowds or are you doing the vacay thing?

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,274 Senior Member
    Fishing. Mowing the grass. And I promised my four year old we would go play in the creek with some spoons and little buckets.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,818 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Fishing. Mowing the grass. And I promised my four year old we would go play in the creek with some spoons and little buckets.

Sounds good! Do you have crawdads in your creeks? Growing up back east they were always fun to catch and mess around with. Speedy little bastages when they wanted to be!
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    de5erasu.jpg

Oh...just hanging out at home in my leg brace doing a whole lot of nothing. I've been excelling at doing nothing these days. :D
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Sounds good! Do you have crawdads in your creeks? Growing up back east they were always fun to catch and mess around with. Speedy little bastages when they wanted to be!

No, we don't have those. We do have crawfish, though. :)

And they are definitely fast.
    Joe, can I come by and push that red button?
  • bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    A 2 day AKC Hunt Test with my 13 month old black lab. It's our first one and it's 4 hours form home. I've never stayed in a hotel with dog. This should be interesting. 151 dogs entered.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory."
    Aldo Leopold
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,206 Senior Member
    I plan on watching CNNs coverage of the bombing of Syria.

Freeedoooommmmm!!! Mericua!!!!1
    Hey Joe, are you weight bearing yet? Physical therapy been hell?
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,876 Senior Member
    I'll be watching CNN for the coverage of Israeli F16's retaliating against Syria and Iran.

Where'd all the anti war folks go off to?
    Buffco wrote: »
    Joe, can I come by and push that red button?

That's a dangerous button. N. Korea might blow up if you do that.

:D
    Hey Joe, are you weight bearing yet? Physical therapy been hell?

Sept. 20 is the magic date or weight bearing. So far physical therapy has been a breeze. Twice a week plus home exercises. Since I was through this once before in 1997 on the other leg I kind of know what to expect. PT dude says I'm light years ahead of most ACL patients. I was able to straighten the leg full extension 4 days after surgery and I'm only 22 degrees away from full flex. Yesterday he took a measurement of the leg and I only have 1/4" difference in atrophy.

I've been putting in OT at home on my exercises and I hired Adrian Petersons rehab team to help. :D

I'm hoping to be back out wading the trout stream around mid October.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    Good luck with the PT Joe!
    I'll be caretaking & ranch-handing at a guest ranch til Sunday then at the mine for two days. Gonna be a fun one!
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    Wow, sounds like you are doing great indeed, Joe!
    I thought that you would have been up and around on crutches by now.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    shooting photos of my first lesbian wedding. Two 60-something ladies who have been married in the eyes of their church for 20+ years but now can be married in the eyes of the law as well. Shooting photos of sexy models on a heavily modified 1963 Harley (actually an Aermacchi, sold in the US as a Harley Davidson) bob-tail motorcycle. Possibly going to Seattle to shoot pics of a roller derby bout.

Not as good as my original plans (shoot the wedding, then head to Yellowstone for some photography) but it'll have to do -- weather/smoke conditions make the trip east less attractive.
    Wow, sounds like you are doing great indeed, Joe!
    I thought that you would have been up and around on crutches by now.

I am up up and around on crutches. Have been since day of surgery. Just have to use them until Sept. 20. Then I can ditch them. The leg brace protects what was done in case I take a spill.
    Oh, I thought maybe on one crutch or with an assist. Typo on my part. Are you a skier, Joe?

Scott, How is the business doing? Hopefully well!
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    We're driving to the Wind Rivers, lama packing into Island Lake. Fishin' and hiking.
    Oh, I thought maybe on one crutch or with an assist. Typo on my part. Are you a skier, Joe?

Right knee ACL in 1997 was from skiing. Left knee ACL was sand volleyball.

Good times. :rolleyes:
    Yikes. Were you able to return to skiing after the first one? Just curious as I've been off skis for a few years after two leg injuries and am feeling much, much trepidation about a return to the slopes this winter.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,879 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    I'm hoping to be back out wading the trout stream around mid October.

The Brule?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member

I've had at least one paid gig pretty much every day since opening the studio on August 4 -- and have booked a fair amount of work into October/November/December. Of course, it can always go better -- but in my first month out of the blocks, I've earned about 3x my fixed expenses. So I'm feeling reasonably good about that. Enough margin this month that if it never grew from here, we'd be able to pay all our bills at home and the studio every month, and have a bit left over -- but not enough to really grown the business on yet. Still -- to run in the black my first month out -- I'll count that as a victory.

But it'll be a long time before I earn 6 figures again, that's for sure.
    Yikes. Were you able to return to skiing after the first one? Just curious as I've been off skis for a few years after two leg injuries and am feeling much, much trepidation about a return to the slopes this winter.

I was. But I went very few times and then gave it up all together. Got too busy working and raising kids then when I had "me time" I decided trout fishing, ice fishing and grouse hunting is what I'd rather be doing instead of skiing.
    The Brule?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Yup. That's the plan. I'm told I will have wear a knee brace to do so. I will be fitted with a much smaller one for those types of activities. Probably another one or 2 month deal with that thing.
  • I'm gonna be at the beach in Florida. I win!
    Dude...you're going to be in Florida...you lose.

You won when you went to Montana earlier this month. :D
  • I'm going to a nice place in Florida not Sanford. I'll be fishing the pass at night and early morning.
    Well, if you get the chance, say Hi to George for me.

:p
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,879 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »

Ha! good one.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• joekrz wrote: »

George would get profiled in this neighborhood. Someone would ask him when he's gonna mow their lawn.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,206 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    George would get profiled in this neighborhood. Someone would ask him when he's gonna mow their lawn.

Don't forget your skittles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.