Fall is Just Around the Corner

Brian D.Brian D. Senior MemberPosts: 4,011 Senior Member
It was slightly cooler this morning when I left the house. I'm sure it'll be back into the 90s by the end of the day, but for a moment I thought of fall.

Only a couple more months before I can go to the river and see little clusters of fishermen standing in a circle casting over and over to big brown trout on the redds.

Sigh. Can't wait.

bd

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Let's go to Wisconsin. We can see little clusters of fishermen standing in a circle casting over and over to dying King Salmon on the redds.

Good fun.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Schedule won't work this year. Next year, maybe.

bd
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Same crap goes on up here, but they even try to snag them if they think they will get away with it- real sportsmen.

Mike
    Steven wrote: »
    Let's go to Wisconsin. We can see little clusters of fishermen standing in a circle casting over and over to dying King Salmon on the redds.

Good fun.
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    Brian D. wrote: »

Only a couple more months before I can go to the river and see little clusters of fishermen standing in a circle casting over and over to big non-native brown trout on the redds.

Sigh. Can't wait.

bd

edited and fixed.
    Troot, what the eff difference does it make if they're native or not? Is it not real fishing unless you hop a plane to Scotland to do it?

bd
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Heck, I fell in the Rio just last weekend.
  • TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    Brian D. wrote: »
    Troot, what the eff difference does it make if they're native or not? Is it not real fishing unless you hop a plane to Scotland to do it?

bd

not my point at all.

fish for whatever you want, wherever you want. I just don't fully understand people who complain about other people's approach to fishing for (and gasp! harvesting) brown trout- an extremely piscivorous fish that outcompetes native fish and shouldn't even be in a lot of watersheds.

There are people in CA who will punch you in the face for harvesting browns out of creeks where it's perfectly legal and frankly they shouldn't even be in there in the first place, evidenced by when they puke up rare/threatened/endangered salmon and steelhead young-of-the-year when you bring 'em in.
    From an environmental standpoint, our southern tailwaters are completely screwed up anyway. They run too cold for most native species to tolerate well, and the massive fluctuations in depth and current speed every twelve hours or so prevent most fish from spawning successfully. So there's no sense in worrying that the browns "shouldn't be there" - by that measure, the tailwaters shouldn't be there either.

I just think it's funny that fly fishermen are capable of engaging of quite a bit of snobbery at times, and yet there they are, circled up fishing to the "sitting duck" fish. You can spot where the redds are from a long distance because there will be a long stretch of empty gravel bar and then a little cluster of fishermen all casting at the same spot.

bd

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.