Sure is tough bein a black man in Florida.

2»

Replies

• Fifteen shots fired

a neighbor who witnessed the incident said it all happened in about 30 seconds and that the victim was in fact complying with instructions when they opened fire

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/31/us/florida-police-shooting/index.html

but ya all got your John McClane head movies so you've got the police state you've ordered
  • Well they have a Muslim name.

..... white?
  • Who's got a Muslim name?
  • well appropiately the white Sheriff is blaming the victim

lookit it all boils down to he's alive and survived so complaining about it ='s uppity
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I still think that stereotyping in stressful situations that leads to snap judgements is not racism. It is wrong. But the minute you label them as racists, you have given yourself a heavier burden of proof. Did they shoot him because he was black? No. Would they have shot him if he was white? Probably not. But that does not mean they hold to a belief system that places black people below white people.

I appreciate this nuance. People want to assume that the lack of overt racism equates to being unbiased by color. It's perfectly possible for a person to BELIEVE one thing (that we are all equal under the eyes of the law, and God) and to ACT upon another, sometimes subconscious set of biases (that black men are somehow more violent, more likely to be a threat, etc). Obama attempted to make this point when he described having people cross the street to avoid passing him on the sidewalk, when he was younger -- a common experience for MANY teens, but a near universal one for black men.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,041 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Who's got a Muslim name?

The detective that shot Polanco.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • here's what I find interesting in a quizzical way

the gun gropers are always on with the same old mantra about 'Liberty', 'Freedom', Rights of the Individual and how the 2nd Amendment is all about the common citizen keeping the tryanny and oppression of government away from the threshold of their castles ... and here's a guy out in his own carport looking for cigarettes in the car and he's gunned down and it's 'rationalized' away

oh well just some poor old man not doing what he's told after dark and the Sheriff is already trying to pin it on, 'the guy was on drugs or drinkin' or somethin'

just sit back and say nothing, afterall it isn't happening to you
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,567 Senior Member
    I dunno nuthin 'bout all that but...
    Hopefully the Sheriff's Dept (in this case) learns a valuable lesson from this tragedy and improves their training and protocol as a result.
    I don't think there was anything cold-blooded about the shooting.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • The detective that shot Polanco.

Which maybe explains why the President's uncle, if he had an uncle, probably wouldn't look like Polanco.
    Arab on Black or Black on Black violence isn't interesting.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    I dunno nuthin 'bout all that but...
    Hopefully the Sheriff's Dept (in this case) learns a valuable lesson from this tragedy and improves their training and protocol as a result.
    I don't think there was anything cold-blooded about the shooting.

I'm quite willing to believe that this was an accident, as claimed, and that the officers involved did not act out of malice. As I've said, I'm generally pro-cop.

That said, it DOES happen more often when black males are involved, and the officers are more likely to get off without penalty in those cases as well. You hit the nail on the head -- improved training and protocols are there to make sure an officer DOES act from a place of informed, deliberate response to the situation, not gut level reaction or panic.

But if you go into a situation expecting that a black man reaching into a car at 2 a.m. is up to no good, you are going to have "accidents" like this. I can tell you that I am OFTEN in my own driveway at 1-3 a.m., coming home from my various photo safaris, and reaching into my pickup truck to retrieve gear. I've even had cops drive by while doing so. To date, I haven't been stopped or questioned -- though apparently while I may not look like a car thief, I DO look like a terrorist, because I've been stopped a few times while photographing industrial facilities.....
  • I appreciate this nuance. People want to assume that the lack of overt racism equates to being unbiased by color.

Being biased by color isn't necessarily covert racism either.

Profiling's a ****. Thankfully, I am smart, have a decent job, and don't beat my wife. I'm every shiksa's mother's dream.
    But if you go into a situation expecting that a black man reaching into a car at 2 a.m. is up to no good, you are going to have "accidents" like this. I can tell you that I am OFTEN in my own driveway at 1-3 a.m., coming home from my various photo safaris, and reaching into my pickup truck to retrieve gear.

I think in fairness the difference is also that your neighbors did not report any suspicious activity when the cops drove by.

I just go on the belief that a cop has to at least wait until the guy is pointing the cigarettes at him before he shoots him.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,496 Senior Member
    Police officers are human and are capable of making mistakes. I don't think that he intended to shoot this person in their driveway because he was an African American.
    This is a case of a police officer that made the wrong decision. Perhaps that is where his training led him. I don't envy anyone for that career choice.

The end.

That's pretty much it in a nut shell.

Too bad a select few here continue to play the race card.
  • bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    Police officers are human and are capable of making mistakes. I don't think that he intended to shoot this person in their driveway because he was an African American.
    This is a case of a police officer that made the wrong decision. Perhaps that is where his training led him. I don't envy anyone for that career choice.

The end.

Every day, hundreds of cops make split decisions that are correct and we never hear about them. Hundreds of airplanes land at SFO every day and we never hear about it until sum ting goes wong.

The end.
    Somehow I think both of you would be thinking a little differently if you were in a hospital with bullet in you.

They also make hundreds of bad decisions that go unreported because nobody was shot.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,424 Senior Member
    bakerloo wrote: »
    Every day, hundreds of cops make split decisions that are correct and we never hear about them. Hundreds of airplanes land at SFO every day and we never hear about it until sum ting goes wong.

The end.

Ho Lee **** you are right!
  • Somehow I think both of you would be thinking a little differently if you were in a hospital with bullet in you.

They also make hundreds of bad decisions that go unreported because nobody was shot.

Hour of the Gun is never wrong ... 1950s Westerns proved this beyond a doubt
  • This just in. Paula Deen has offered to help with the man's rehab. She says she's signing him up for dancing lessons. To quote Deen, Y'all know how those people likes to dance!"
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,496 Senior Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.