Guys, I Bought A New Car

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 10,211 Senior Member
My 2006 SAAB 9-5 has been a great car - comfortable, roomy, great cargo space, fast, decent mileage etc. After SAAB went teats up I decided to just run it until it no longer could be repaired. Alas that day has almost arrived. I've been looking for simple fog lamp bulb holder for three years, and although it only has 135K miles and is fully capable of 500K, the parts likely to be needed around 150-200K are impossible to find except at pirate-like prices for used or "rebuilt" or for Chinese knockoffs that tend to fail within 5K miles.

Then too, my knees, neck and back are shot from old Army and sports injuries or arthritis, so I wanted something higher off the ground.

My wife's XC70 is higher off the ground, but entry and egress is not easy for me because of the steeply sloped A pillar and low roofline. Having test driven both 4 and 6 cylinder Subaru Outbacks I ruled them out for several reasons - but noise is reason enough. The six is noisy, the four horrendously noisy (to my hearing aid equipped ears).

I also want a little more luxury as I approach my, er, twilight years.

So yesterday I went to look at Acuras, RDX and MDX, and a Lexus RX350. Wound up buying a Lexus RX350. It seems the perfect compromize for a near-geezer who still enjoys driving, needs to haul huge loads of crap and often finds himself encountering deep mud while fishing. And it's quiet and uses 87 octane. My SAAB and the Acuras required 91-93.

Lexus is dealing these days, probably a first-step model year clearance.

Their initial offer was $3500 under sticker including my trade. I offered a low ball bid of $8,000 below sticker plus my car and asked for about $600 in dealer installed accessories to be thrown in. They agreed to $7,626 under sticker, increased my trade by $800 (saving me $480 in tax) and agreed to the add-ons except for about 3/4 of an hour's labor for their installation. That brought the price down to little more than a well equipped Toyota, Honda or Ford small or mid-sized SUV.

Me happy camper.
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Congrats on the new vehicle! I recently purchased a 4 cyl Outback, and yes they are a bit noisy. The other car I was interested in was an XC-70, but they are quite a bit more expensive so I opted for the Outback with leather and all the goodies.
    Does your wife still like the Volvo?
    How much stuff can the Lexus carry? They look smallish by SUV standards and I imagine the cargo capacity isn't near what the XC-70 is.

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Nice Ol' Geezer car..;)

Kidding, really , nice looking car..
    Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,969 Senior Member
    Does the Lexus have enough head room for you to wear your hat in it?
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Sun roof and a chin strap.

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
    Stampede strap. Call it by its proper name.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,925 Senior Member
    Stampede strap. Call it by its proper name.

Get many stampedes down there in Florida do ya...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,211 Senior Member
    Shawn C.Congrats on the new vehicle! I recently purchased a 4 cyl Outback, and yes they are a bit noisy. The other car I was interested in was an XC-70, but they are quite a bit more expensive so I opted for the Outback with leather and all the goodies. I'm very sensitive to noise. A year in the artillery in Viet Nam ruined my hearing. I have to wear hearing aids, so any noise in the cabin almost hurts. The Outback is a nice car, but not for me.

Does your wife still like the Volvo? Yes, she loves it. She's been driving Volvos for about 25 years. She hated the first generation XC70, traded it in after a year for a 2nd gen 2001 and kept it for 11 years, buying a 2013 back in January.

How much stuff can the Lexus carry? They look smallish by SUV standards and I imagine the cargo capacity isn't near what the XC-70 is. It looks smaller than it really is, a function of the styling I guess. My SAAB and the XC70 both carry (carried) a little less than the RX350, which is rated at 40 cu. ft. with the rear seats up, 80+ with them down. And they fold flat, on the Honda CRV and it's upscale twin the Acura RDX they do not, which makes bulky cargo irksome to load and unload.

This is the first time I've dealt with Lexus. The buying experience really was excellent. I never felt pressured, nor did they use the usual sales tricks. When the salesman went to talk to the sales manager he was back in a minute or two with an answer.

I've lived in places where you bargain for everything, including fruits and vegetables in the market, and have spent a lot of time in oriental rug shops on the subcontinent and the middle east. These experiences have made me a much better at negotiating price than most Americans - not bragging, it's just the result of experience. Still, it was obvious that they needed to move inventory. Perhaps it was the end of the month; perhaps they had to raise capital to pay for incoming cars. Whatever the reason, I got a very nice car for a very good price.
    Does the Lexus have enough head room for you to wear your hat in it?

With the moon roof open, yup. Closed, I just have to accept that the headliner will wear through.

Actually, for a long time FL ranked second in production of beef by state. The term "Florida Cracker" was originally applied to the FL cowboys who used 8 ft. to 10 ft. bullwhips to herd the cattle with. So, no, we don't get them often now, but we used to. That being said, they still run cows in some open expanses, and use horses to herd them.

BTW, now the term "Florida Cracker" is applied to multi-generational natives. Lawton Chiles mad much of his Cracker heritage. ..."the old he-**** walks just before the light of day," a phrase he used against Jeb Bush in a televised debate, is an old Cracker saying.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,422 Senior Member
    There is so much more to learn about being a cracker In Florida than I ever imagined.

Congrats on the new ride George hope you enjoy it.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    I read that Volvo could pull out of the US market within a year, so choosing another brand was good.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,925 Senior Member
    Actually, for a long time FL ranked second in production of beef by state. The term "Florida Cracker" was originally applied to the FL cowboys who used 8 ft. to 10 ft. bullwhips to herd the cattle with. So, no, we don't get them often now, but we used to. That being said, they still run cows in some open expanses, and use horses to herd them.

BTW, now the term "Florida Cracker" is applied to multi-generational natives. Lawton Chiles mad much of his Cracker heritage. ..."the old he-**** walks just before the light of day," a phrase he used against Jeb Bush in a televised debate, is an old Cracker saying.

Well, I'll be... you learn something new everyday. Huh, cowboys in Florida.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Well, I'll be... you learn something know everyday. Huh, cowboys in Florida.

They wear Hawaiian shirt, shorts, black socks and cowboy boots.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
    Lawton Chiles mad much of his Cracker heritage. ..."the old he-**** walks just before the light of day," a phrase he used against Jeb Bush in a televised debate, is an old Cracker saying.

I like it. What's it mean?
    That the old male **** knew that the best time to forage was just before daylight: the **** hunters and their dogs had gone home, and the farmers and other folk would not be awake at that time. The old male **** knew the best time to be out and moving about and how to survive and hang on.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member

Actually I used to hear there are more cattle in Florida than Texas. I don't know and I'm not going to research it... But going down 301 south from Bunnell, that's horse and cow country.
    yatahey wrote: »
    They wear Hawaiian shirt, shorts, black socks and cowboy boots.
    That's only the cowboys around Miami beach.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Actually it's said there are more cattle in Florida than Texas. I don't know and I'm not going to research it... But going down 301 south from Bunnell, that's horse and cow country.
    FL is 12th in beef production now, nationwide.

BTW, it's due to the ranching influence that our lower St. Johns River, the Kissimmee River basin, and the area around Okeechobee are pretty much free range cattle right up to the river or lake. If you have a flood, you will see a sea of cow pies.
    That the old male **** knew that the best time to forage was just before daylight: the **** hunters and their dogs had gone home, and the farmers and other folk would not be awake at that time. The old male **** knew the best time to be out and moving about and how to survive and hang on.

Makes sense, sounds great. Thanks.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Mazel Tov on the new car, George. Drive it in good health.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,480 Senior Member
    A friend of mine owns an older Lexus SUV. 300,000+ miles later and it's still going strong. Only problem he ever had with it is a broken CD player. Congrats.
    Thanks to all for the kind words.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Their initial offer was $3500 under sticker including my trade.

Congrats on the new car. Did you negotiate in person or via email?

The last new car I bought was via email and it couldn't have been more pleasant. I hate HATE going into dealers and doing that dumb dance.
    At the dealer, because I had gone to test drive it. I don't know if all Lexus dealers are this good, but Len Stoler in Owings Mills, MD was easy to deal with. None of the shuck and jive or games most dealers play. The only easier purchase I ever made was my SAAB. I bought it at the diplomatic price for less than the employee price, so no negotiation aside from the value of my trade and getting all weather mats thrown in.

BTW - You should pay your neighbor a couple of hundred bucks to negotiate on your behalf. I'm guessing you either would get the deal of a lifetime, or get arrested.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.