Even The R.L. Winston Rod Company doesn't know!

CrabulaCrabula MemberPosts: 31 Member
Does anyone know what finish is on the maple wood spacer on the reel seat of the Winston LT rod? Mine has a small area where the finish is scraped off, exposing the wood to water, on top of the spacer and I'd like to seal out any water with the same finish that's on there now, the one Winston used. I called Winston and they said they buy them pre made and finished from their distributor so they don't know what finish the distributor uses. Does anyone know what finish is used on the Winston LT maple spacers or can anyone recommend a clear finish that I can apply to protect the wood from water without refinishing the whole spacer?
Thanks for any help with this.

Replies

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Maybe try a rod building supplier for a suggestion. I would think a polyurethane finish should work..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • CrabulaCrabula Member Posts: 31 Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    Maybe try a rod building supplier for a suggestion. I would think a polyurethane finish should work..

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion. Good idea. I'll give that a try.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,812 Senior Member
    My older LTs have a different wood, but the finish looks to be either oil-rubbed, like mid-century Danish modern furniture, or a satin (almost matte) varnish. Probably the varnish would be easier to remove if that is the wrong choice. In either case you should apply several light coats with your fingertips. If the varnish is too glossy, very light buffing with the finest grade of steel wool will reduce it.

On the two or three occasions I have used Winston customer service they have been very helpful. They might not want to give out the name, but I would try writing or emailing to ask if they could get in touch with the supplier and get an answer for you.

BTW, I confess that I choke a little when I see the current price of these rods. My two were bought from Winston at a huge discount when I worked in a fly shop in 1996 and are inscribed "Guide" on the blank to identify them as such. Although the Winston rep denied it I think they are (extremely) minor cosmetic seconds. Each has an almost unnoticeable gap in the winding threads on one or two guides. None of the shop rods had even one, a sign of how good and how perfectionist Winston's quality control is.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,785 Senior Member
    Have you been in their shop? Pretty cool, you can watch them build rods from an upstairs observation area.

I have an old Winston LT that is a 3 pc - 7 wt that I rarely ever fish. I brought it in the shop when I was there last fall and they told me everything about that rod from the serial numbers - what I found out; it's a pretty rare rod.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Have you been in their shop? Pretty cool, you can watch them build rods from an upstairs observation area.

I have an old Winston LT that is a 3 pc - 7 wt that I rarely ever fish. I brought it in the shop when I was there last fall and they told me everything about that rod from the serial numbers - what I found out; it's a pretty rare rod.

LT or WT? I thought all the LTs are 5 pc.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,785 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    LT or WT? I thought all the LTs are 5 pc.

It's a 3 piece LT and it is a 7 wt I'll take a picture of it. When you go into their shop there is a guy (can't remember his name) that explains things and answers any questions. I showed him this rod and he said it was a factory custom that a customer ordered, he also said that there are only a handful that were made like that. I also have a 9' 3wt WT that I asked him about as well.

Both of these rods I bought used (barely) from a friend in Minnesota years ago.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

I like three piece rods for their feel, which only one piece rods share. I think the technical explanation refers to "nodes" of some sort. If you wag any rod horizontally you'll see an illusion of an oval in the middle third of the rod. With three piece rods the points of that oval are on the ferrules. I've read (who knows where?) that this is what makes them feel so smooth in the hand when casting.

Your LTs would be very natural casting rods I would guess. My three piece rods are from blanks I bought from the now defunct East Branch Rod Company in upstate NY. Very Winston-like in feel, and in appearance if you got the green ones. I loved the first two I made. When they were going out of business I bought several 2, 3 and 4 pc blanks at their on-line liquidation sale, and just finished the last of them - a 3pc 9' 7wt.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file