Tornado chasers

2»

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    it's Tim's data I am asking about ... all everyone says is ... 'It's really important' and they have quotes of them talking about how if they can just get the probes closer that'll be just that many more lives they'll save' etc ... but that last of course was from their show on 'Discovery' so that comment in and unto itself is melodramatic ...

so again ... just what are the tangible factors of the data that saves lives by measuring the barometric pressure of a tornado already on the ground ... how (if at all) does that equate to storm prediction (which would seem like the real outcome that has potential to save lives) ...

I heard it again this morning on MSNBC's feed at they pimped the Discovery Channel's one hour 'tribute' to the chasers ... the guy said over and over again how vital and important their work was but never once said how it actually contributed to anything ... it's almost as though folks are being told, 'don't you dare question this just accept it was important and leave it at that but make sure you tune in and watch the drama'
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,639 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    it's Tim's data I am asking about ... all everyone says is ... 'It's really important' and they have quotes of them talking about how if they can just get the probes closer that'll be just that many more lives they'll save' etc ... but that last of course was from their show on 'Discovery' so that comment in and unto itself is melodramatic ...

so again ... just what are the tangible factors of the data that saves lives by measuring the barometric pressure of a tornado already on the ground ... how (if at all) does that equate to storm prediction (which would seem like the real outcome that has potential to save lives) ...

I heard it again this morning on MSNBC's feed at they pimped the Discovery Channel's one hour 'tribute' to the chasers ... the guy said over and over again how vital and important their work was but never once said how it actually contributed to anything ... it's almost as though folks are being told, 'don't you dare question this just accept it was important and leave it at that but make sure you tune in and watch the drama'

I don't know what they hope to uncover but I'm not a meteorologist. I know that chasers perform a valuable function. They help NOAA report real emergencies and less false alarms. I'm already reading about regulating storm chasing... Really? America, land of the regulated, home of the coward.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    MikeA wrote: »
    I know that chasers perform a valuable function. They help NOAA report real emergencies and less false alarms..

to the first part ... that's why I am asking ... what's the tangible value in what they are doing ... so far ... the 'value' has been just stating, 'it's really important'

on the above quote ... you and I will have to agree to disagree ... the NWS has in place a pretty comprehensive network of trained weather spotters (many of whom have real time weather stations reporting accurate data from fixed points on the ground). Skywarn, also has mobile spotters who are trained on reporting weather conditions and these are people who are from the area. I would think that a local trained Skywarn weather spotter has infinitely better experience and is more accurate with their information due to their familiarity of local geograpby, roads and historical weather/storm patterns than someone who blows into town in a logo laden SUV on the tail of 'favorable' conditions they gleaned off the laptop in their command car.

If anything that added racing around on roads also adds a hinderance to first responders as well as in this last case where the chasers now become a further burden on first responders who could be using their assets assisting local residents injured by the storm.

I don't know about other areas but here when the likelihood of severe weather is imminent or conditions favorable the NWS activates it's Skywarn net and those people go into action with assigned protocols and discreet communication nets to local emergency and law enforcement ... that ... serves more of a purpose than some guy from out of town with a cell phone and streaming live video (IMHO)

the stories are starting to come out of OK about how people were driving the wrong way down the freeways and running stop signs etc because they followed the advice of fleeing the storm

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.