Tornado chasers

just got their vehicles launched and smashed up outside OK city

Replies

• yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    They chased it until it caught them.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    said they were in a full sized suv that rolled 6-8 times and then was airborne landed over 200 yards from where the tornado picked them up
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,878 Senior Member
    While these guys perform a valuable service, it looks as though ambition caught up with talent

Sent from my HTC One X

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

OK City having another rough week ... but you know the odds that another would come along aren't that great

:D
    While these guys perform a valuable service, it looks as though ambition caught up with talent

Sent from my HTC One X

I think that it will at some point lead to someone else (not in their party) getting themselves kilt because they thought it looked 'cool'
    Was the guy driving named Bill and was he from Pecos?
    Moore just got hit again
    So much for some people's idea of odds.
    they were talking to the mayor at the time who was hunkered down inside a vault in a jewelry store just around the corner from a Chik-Filet that had just got hit
  • oc stomiasoc stomias Senior Member Posts: 348 Senior Member
    CNN is reporting the interstates are backed up because people are trying to outrun the storm.
    State patrol is advising people to abandon their cars and seek shelter.
    ya you can see it on the video ... miles of stalled headlights they are saying there are overturned vehicles and hundreds of accidents

during one of the tornados they were telling people to get below ground or outrun the tornado and then within minutes the tornado turned 90 degrees off it's predicted path ... nothing like running right into the storm
  • oc stomiasoc stomias Senior Member Posts: 348 Senior Member
    And sadly, there appears to be injuries, and maybe some fatalities.

Trying to outrun a tornado is a very bad idea - you tell where it's going, there can be multiple tornados.

TWC just showed a video, some jack wagon drove right into swirling debris. The studio commentators were trying to guess what the debris was. But never mentioned that driving into a tornado is a bad idea. That kind of nonsense can get people killed
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,858 Senior Member
    I still don't see how being in a house that explodes like a frag grenade when hit is that much better then being strapped in an aerodynamic vehicle designed from a safety perspective to take impacts. Of course I do also realize that being underground is the ONLY safe place.

My thoughts are with those folks this week. That is a very traumatic thing to have to go through,,,twice.
    did you see the traffic clogging the highways and roads?

I think the odds of a direct hit by a tornado are lower than the odds of injury or accident by getting into the panic-ing herd all of whom are behind the wheel and many texting or talking on the cell phone and fleeing ... on a good day just how many of those people are individuals you want to share the road with? and none of this take into account the debris that preceeds a storm or extends well outside the funnel

The Weather Channel guys are 10X more plugged in on where a storm is and how it's acting and even they got slammed by a direct hit while moving down the interstate

did you see how last nights tornados (plural) in the OK City area did not take the normal path of SW to NE? and how at least one took two 90 degree turns as well as the larger one having multiple vortexes? ... even trained meterologists/storm chasers didn't know where to go to keep pace with the storm while remaining out of it's way

how? ... as you are 'fleeing' going to predict the path and account for multiple tornados within a storm some of which can develop while you are fleeing your main storm?

the concept that a tornado is just a well contained wedge of a storm moving in a straight line and all you got to do is drive 'that aways' to escape it, is a flawed theory on many levels
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Its the midwest. There is no whitewater, rock climbs, mountain via ferrata, surfing, diving, fly fishing, skiing...what the eff else is there to do? Country dancing? please...
    you forgot the Hotdish

cream of mushroom soup is nectar of the gods
    Jello with Mayo = salad.
    only if it's lime with shredded carrots and has the word 'surprise' in the name of the recipe
    If there WERE mountains in Oklahoma they would flatten them to but in a NASCAR track.
    They do have good barbecue. Corn, as high as an elephant's eye.
    this is true ... my BBQ is exquisite

[IMG][/img]bbq_zpse0de65f4.png
    Looks like it was made in Uranus.
    you should eat that well
    BTW ... of the 9 people killed yesterday in OK, 7 were in their vehicles and on the roads, hundreds of motorists were stuck on the roads and many of the 70 injured were also in their vehicles
    "For reasons that are not clear to me, more people took to the roads, more than we expected. Everyone acted differently in this storm, and as a result, it created an extremely dangerous situation," saidOklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett.

Just throwing it out there but I am betting the heat is going to come down on the recent trend of on air weather persons telling people to flee the storms
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    BTW ... of the 9 people killed yesterday in OK, 7 were in their vehicles and on the roads, hundreds of motorists were stuck on the roads and many of the 70 injured were also in their vehicles

Just throwing it out there but I am betting the heat is going to come down on the recent trend of on air weather persons telling people to flee the storms

I'd bet the reason so many were running this time is because they tried the hunker down advice for the previous storm and felt the complete and total helplessness you feel hunkering down in a tornadic storm of that magnitude.
    It's a game of odds. If you get hit by a major tornado while in a car, or a non basement house, odds are your gonna die. In a car you at least have chance to outrun the thing (in daylight).

It seems at least some of those deaths were chasers driving into the storm on purpose. I understand what they are doing, and am in no means being disrespectful of what they do. It's a risky job.
    Pretty crazy video of the ones that made it. Barley.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ziZNsproDzs
    MikeA wrote: »
    I'd bet the reason so many were running this time is because they tried the hunker down advice for the previous storm and felt the complete and total helplessness you feel hunkering down in a tornadic storm of that magnitude.

I think the TV weather folk that planted this seed need to be brought to task

and now the 'look at me' woot wooters (ie Mike Bettes, Jim Cantore etc) are droning on n on about how this is 'important work' ... really? important how? the guys kilt held the 'record' for lowest pressure measured in a tornado ... ok ... just what does that mean? What tangible results of the data from this vitally 'important' work have been yielded? What substantial benefit has been derived from building an armored vehicle and racing all around the prairie attempting to drive into a tornado?

Cantore is making his cameos in the super tight T dismissing criticism by saying over and over again, 'what they do is really important' ... Why? because you say so or because that argument might not hold up to justifying the loss of the lives of three people the TWC kept patting on the back and saying go get 'em boys just remember to send the video?

I'm open to the idea that maybe just maybe the data they gathered was indeed vital but it's a bit odd that in the discussion no one has bothered to say why or what exactly in changes in public safety any of that melodramatic running around with cameras has yet to produce. Also, how many people were out there running around because they dunn see'd in on TeeVee and it's lookeds cool? To Cantore's credit at least he did say it's gotten out of hand and half the time looks like a Rolling Stone's concert just let out (why he hates the Stones is anyone's guess).
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    I think the TV weather folk that planted this seed need to be brought to task

and now the 'look at me' woot wooters (ie Mike Bettes, Jim Cantore etc) are droning on n on about how this is 'important work' ... really? important how? the guys kilt held the 'record' for lowest pressure measured in a tornado ... ok ... just what does that mean? What tangible results of the data from this vitally 'important' work have been yielded? What substantial benefit has been derived from building an armored vehicle and racing all around the prairie attempting to drive into a tornado?

Cantore is making his cameos in the super tight T dismissing criticism by saying over and over again, 'what they do is really important' ... Why? because you say so or because that argument might not hold up to justifying the loss of the lives of three people the TWC kept patting on the back and saying go get 'em boys just remember to send the video?

I'm open to the idea that maybe just maybe the data they gathered was indeed vital but it's a bit odd that in the discussion no one has bothered to say why or what exactly in changes in public safety any of that melodramatic running around with cameras has yet to produce. Also, how many people were out there running around because they dunn see'd in on TeeVee and it's lookeds cool? To Cantore's credit at least he did say it's gotten out of hand and half the time looks like a Rolling Stone's concert just let out (why he hates the Stones is anyone's guess).

If you have to ask why you'll never understand.

I get what drives people to do this stuff and I admire them for it. Never gave mountaineering much respect till I did a stupid little 2500' 2 or three mile climb. I was beat, legs cramping, lungs burning, just whooped. Then we rounded a bend on the trial and the rocky summit was in sight for the very first time of the hike. I was completely renewed. Right then I felt a little of what that feels like. I also gained a huge amount of respect for guys who can climb thousands of vertical feet. They are probably some of the toughest athletes on the planet. Cut the chasers some slack, they can't help it.
    MikeA wrote: »
    If you have to ask why you'll never understand.
    t.

In other words they can't tell you why it's vital and important work
    It isn't. They're thrill seekers. Some of them fame seekers. However, I think Tim Samaras was one of the few who was actually doing scientific work and trying to understand tornados. In the discovery series he was always the conservative one that held back the crazy ones. Pretty tragic that it got him out of all of them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.