Save a child's life? That'll cost you $1,000

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 10,244 Senior Member

Replies

• Don NewtonDon Newton Senior Member Posts: 431 Senior Member
    Amazing how the lack of common sense pervades the judicial system and especially those who want nothing but convictions instead of justice.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    If he had invited a cop into his house, the cop saw the guns, and charged him with having unregistered guns, it would be a simple crime story, ending with a small fine for a minor offense (in fact, he'd probably face more than $1,000 and might even be facign jail time, DC is pretty serious about its gun laws). The only difference is that the cop found out about the gun because the guy actually discharged it in public, albeit for good reason. He was still a repeat offender (3 unregistered weapons) who will pay a small fine for a minor offense. The fact that his crime put him in a position to help someone doesn't somehow negate that he had been committing a crime for some period of time. Also, lots of unanswered questions here: (1) Did he call 911 when he ran into his house to get his gun, or ask someone else to do so? (2) Is he actually qualified by training and practice to do what he did without causing undue risk to the child? (3) Woudl the cop have been there anyway to save the child if this guy hadn't been unlawfully armed? (4) Why did the guy not registger his guns, was it because he is somehow disqualified from owning them, for instance because of prior convictions? (5) What would have been the penalty if he hadn't saved a child's life? All things I'd like to know before deciding if he's getting a raw deal.
    The article says the guy has no prior convictions.

Take his guns, give him a medal.

Done.
    Was the pit bull wearing a hoodie and eating skittles?
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,244 Senior Member
    Pio,

Heaven forbid, if a pit bull ever attacks my child, the last thing on my mind would be whether someone was "qualified" to use a handgun to stop the attack.

What's the argument? No sir, you're not qualified, let's wait till the cops get here, because they have teh kwallificashuns because badges.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,608 Senior Member
    Maybe the guy should have grabbed a baseball bat and tried to hit a pitty outta park---and I'm a dog person---then Pam Anderson and SPCA would be after ya

I would have zero problem shooting that dog(s) in this case----guy had zero in past history
    should have given him a warning and make him register---end of story

I would also consider richocet in that concrete jungle---who knows??---judgement call in a time of emerg----end of day---kid is safe
    Buffco wrote: »
    Pio,

Heaven forbid, if a pit bull ever attacks my child, the last thing on my mind would be whether someone was "qualified" to use a handgun to stop the attack.

What's the argument? No sir, you're not qualified, let's wait till the cops get here, because they have teh kwallificashuns because badges.

Once again, it's not about outcomes. I think you would be singing a different story if the guy had accidentaly shot the child rather than the dog, because he was a lousy shot who had a half hour of range practice, and 3 handguns. Sorry that I won't buy into your superhero myth, that's because I know that the vast majority of ILLEGAL gun owners aren't superheroes, aren't green berets, are, in fact, douchebags that own their guns illegally for a reason.

Another story I read said the guy is actually getting his guns back. That NEVER happens in DC, so the guy really is getting some pretty exceptional treatment.
    Once again we see from the 'enforce the laws on the books' crowd that the Gun God eventually rationalizes all and justifies anything including and especially being a raging hypocrite.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I don't understand... the guy had illegal guns. Shouldn't people that break the law be punished?
    Pitbulls don't enjoy any sort of 2nd Amendment protection. How about we ban them?
    No ... Guns are God

Read your memos!
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member
    (Sigh)

Another thread spiraling downward...
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,584 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Pio,

Seriously? A guy is pointing a gun in the general direction of your daughter and you would not be concerned that he is not qualified to fire the weapon? This story could have just as easily taken a tragic turn, then where would your second amendment rights crowd be?

Plus this is the Washington Times, so we cannot possibly have all the facts here. Like where did the bullets that did not strike the dog end up?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    sherb wrote: »
    Pitbulls don't enjoy any sort of 2nd Amendment protection. How about we ban them?

I am sure this where this discussion will end up.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Seriously? A guy is pointing a gun in the general direction of your daughter and you would not be concerned that he is not qualified to fire the weapon? This story could have just as easily taken a tragic turn, then where would your second amendment rights crowd be?

Plus this is the Washington Times, so we cannot possibly have all the facts here. Like where did the bullets that did not strike the dog end up?

The story could have more easily taken a so-called tragic turn if the pit bull wasn't stopped. The kid was saved.
    Any code of decency should have given the guy an even bigger pass than he got.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    He did plea bargain for a $1000.00 fine and no criminal charges, so he must have thought it was a good deal..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,608 Senior Member
    Some never know how they'll react in a life and death situation (and yes these dogs have killed )

Armchair 20/20 hindsight often is impeccable
    betcha the kids folks are very thankful however it was handled

Paperwork can be adressed when the dust settles
    ricinus wrote: »
    He did plea bargain for a $1000.00 fine and no criminal charges, so he must have thought it was a good deal..

Mike

I understand. Maybe it wasn't possible, but if I were the prosecutor, and it was possible, I would have given him a better deal.
    How much better can the deal get? No criminal charge at all, which also means no conviction. He gets his guns back (when he leaves the jurisdiction and goes to one where they will be legal), and he pays a fine that is the equivalent of two months car payments for a typical DC area family. Are you meaning to tell me that htere is a morally significant difference between $1,000 and $500 or $100 or $10? I suppose that's possible but I certainly don't see it.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    If it were my kid, I'd pay the guys fine myself.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
    So would I, Yat, but that's the difference between acting as an individual and acting as a government. You and I have the option to choose to ignore laws that are meant for the greater good, when doing so is better for us and those we love. We don't let government make that choice, or at least we shouldn't.
    $1,000 is real money. Just sayin'
    Steven wrote: »
    The story could have more easily taken a so-called tragic turn if the pit bull wasn't stopped. The kid was saved.
    Any code of decency should have given the guy an even bigger pass than he got.

You are operating on the assumption that the only way to stop the attack was to shoot a gun in the general direction of the kid. Which to me sounds like a ridiculous conclusion. These are dogs not tigers.
    $1,000 is real money. Just sayin'

Sur it is. So is $100 if you're poor. $1,000 is less than the value of the three illegally possessed handguns which would have been forfeited in literally ANY other case.

In fact, if DC had simply said we won't prosecute you at all, but you're guns are illegal so we're forfeiting and destroying them, the guy would have been worse off than he is with this deal. He got an EXTREMELY good deal because he saved a child's life. I have to question how it could be any better and still have even the illusoin of enforcing the law.
    Coulda, woulda, shoulda and $4.50 will buy you a latte at Starbuck's.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member
    Coulda, woulda, shoulda and $4.50 will buy you a latte at Starbuck's.

Only if you are foolish enough to pay exorbitant prices for mediocre coffee.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    I understand. Maybe it wasn't possible, but if I were the prosecutor, and it was possible, I would have given him a better deal.

no criminal charges is about as sweet as it gets

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.