They were just acting on a tip.

Heard there was TP.
===================

CARACAS, May 28 (Reuters) - Two U.S. Embassy employees in Venezuela were injured on Tuesday in a shooting at a well-known Caracas strip club, police said.

Officers heard shots around 4:25 a.m. (0855 GMT) at the Antonella 2012 club, better known as "Angelus" in the upscale Chacao district, a police source told Reuters.

One of the embassy employees, military attache Roberto Ezequiel Rosas, was shot in the leg after a fight between club patrons, according to a police report seen by Reuters and the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The second embassy official was shot in the stomach but did not notice the injury until arriving home, the source said.

In a terse statement, the embassy confirmed an "incident," but gave few details.

"We can confirm that two members of the U.S. Embassy in Caracas were injured during an incident early this morning. Medical staff informs us that their injuries do not appear to be life-threatening," the statement said.

On Tuesday afternoon, Reuters reporters saw police detective vehicles parked near the club, which is popular among foreigners. Officials walked in and out of the club without answering questions.

Venezuela has one of the world's highest homicide rates. Violent crime occurs primarily in the country's poor slums, but in recent years, assaults and shootings have become more common in well-to-do areas of the city.

Last week, President Nicolas Maduro launched a security drive that puts soldiers on the streets of the capital. About 20 security initiatives have been implemented since 1999.

The Venezuela shooting may revive memories of an incident that embarrassed U.S. officials in Colombia last year. In that case, Secret Service agents helping to protect President Barack Obama were sent home for involvement with prostitutes.

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    The "military attache" is at a strip club at 4:25 a.m., gets shot in the leg, and unidentified other "embassy worker" is shot in the gut but "did not notice" until later. I'm sure neither of them was an intelligence officer using diplomatic cover.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,016 Senior Member
    Jamespio wrote: »
    The "military attache" is at a strip club at 4:25 a.m., gets shot in the leg, and unidentified other "embassy worker" is shot in the gut but "did not notice" until later. I'm sure neither of them was an intelligence officer using diplomatic cover.

Military attaches work for the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA). It's existence is not classified, similar to State's Bureau of Intelligence and Research. I suppose it's possible that an agency that dare not speak its name might use a military attache position as light cover, but I can't see why. In fairness, they could have been working. (At least that's what they will tell their spouses) Plenty of open and covert intelligence gathering takes place in restaurants, bars, cocktail parties and clubs.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,278 Senior Member
    Can someone tell me what the issue is here?

BTW you can get shot in the stomach and not know?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    George, I figured "Military Attache" was some kind of military exchange program, an overt program to encourage "cooperation" and such BS.

And actually, I had assumed these guys were working if they were, in fact, spooks at a strip club at 4 a.m.

BTW you can get shot in the stomach and not know?

There's no issue here, just Steven wanting to have more fun at the expense of a dead man.

I just found it funny that the embassy's spies essentialy outed themselves by getting shot. And as to getting shot in the gut (I assume tehy did not really mean "stomach" since a shot to the actual stomach would cause all sorts of problems) and not noticing, I have read that a small caliber round striking fleshy tissue and passing through can feel like a very hard punch, with the victim sometimes not realizing he's been shot until he notices the blood flowing. But it's not like I have personal experience or anything.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Steven, you're getting sloppy. Its ****, not tip.
    Yeah they were gathering "intel" all right. I'll bet they were.
    If the individual shot happened to be portly and it was a low caliber subsonic round this would be entirely possible

Adrenalin can do funny things as can other modifiers like meth or cocaine
    When I was living in DC we'd get a local news story every year or so about "intelligence" operations that were downright dumb. This usualy involved foreign intel folks rather than US (but not always, there were also stories of alphabet soup folk trying to seduce foreign diplomats and the like), and the stories were of some truly dumb stuff. I remember one in particular, because the target of the operation lived in the next suburb over from me, and some foreign intel operative spent months and thousands of dollars buying gifts and trying to seduce this woman who worked for an embassy, and it turned out she was a landscaper or something like that.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,278 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Yeah they were gathering "intel" all right. I'll bet they were.

Bambi's real name and phone number are intel.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Military Attaches - the senior one at any post is the Defense Attache - openly gather information and establish professional relationships with their peers in the host country and third country officers assigned wherever they are. Professional soldiers have been openly "spying" on each other at least since the Congress of Vienna formalized the system, and probably before that.

What you describe would be a "milgroup", short for Military Assistance Group, also overt and above board, and the practice of foreign colonels from "friendly" states attending our war colleges. When I lived in Carlisle, PA it was easy to rent your house for a good fee because of the annual influx of U.S. and foreign officers assigned for the one year program at the Army War College. It's and interesting program focused both on strategy and geopolitics. Best of all, the LeTort Spring Run goes through it for a few hundred yards and usually holds a few good fish. Before 9/ll you just parked and walked down to the stream. Now you have to go through modest gate security checks, but you still can fish there.

There is a small museum in the powder magazine built by Hessian POWs, and an Indian cemetery dating from when it was the Carlisle Indian School, made famous by "Pop" Warner and Jim Thorpe. Thorpe and Ike (a West Point cadet) played football and Ike broke his arm. I do not not think Thorpe was directly responsible.

The Carlisle Indian School first played collegiate football against Yale in 1896. Soon its teams were regularly playing Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Syracuse, Lehigh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Princeton. By 1897, Carlisle football was known throughout the country, a fame that garnered financial support. Baseball, track, and lacrosse teams were also well known. Some athletes were celebrated by the popular media, including Jim Thorpe, Charles 'Chief' Bender and Louis Tewanima -- and coaches and trainers, "Pop" Warner, Vance McCormick, and Wallace Denny.

Jim Thorpe, the school's greatest football and track and field athlete, won the decathlon and pentathlon at the 1912 Olympics in Stockholm. Because of the accomplishments of Thorpe and long-distance runner Tewanima, the Indian School accumulated more points at the1912 Olympics than any college or university in the United States.

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/
    My father always looked for an excuse to go anywhere near Carlisle during our various trips about the NE US because there was a restaurant there he liked. Which he had discovered while attending a short course at the War College.
    Probably the Sunnyside or Rillo's. Both have been around a long time and have a devoted following.
    I think it was the Sunnyside. Always struck me as odd, because my folks are and have been foodies (mom's a retired chef), and even as a kid I could tell that the joint did not seem to match up to some of the other places they took us that they thought were really good restaurants. Maybe it was just the best food within easy reach of the PA turnpike, a road we spent a lot of time on with family in NJ, NW PA, OH, and us in VA.
    From the mid-1990s to the early 2000s Carlisle had three really good restaurants, one of which was as good as you would find in NY or DC, but neither the Sunnyside (more than a diner, less than fine dining) nor Rillos (a good example of traditional upscale Italian-American) were among them. One closed when the owners moved to Anguilla and the other two changed owners or chefs and now are just OK. But still, there are half a dozen OK places in that town of 20K. Being the county seat, and having a mini-Ivy, a law school and the War College gives it a customer base with money and educated palates.

A few decades ago the Sunnyside would have been the best place to eat near a turnpike exit for a long way in either direction. It is across from the War College on US11, the road the Turpike exits to.

I almost bought a house that formerly was a small Civil War era hotel and had later housed the Fish Bar, the traditional hang-out of the LeTort crowd such as Charlie Fox, Vince Marinaro, Ed Shenk etc. Just before I could put in an offer a bidding war erupted between Dickinson parents from NY and DC, pushing it way above my price point.

If you read Ed Shenk's book he has a chapter about the Fish Bar.
    Jamespio wrote: »
    There's no issue here, just Steven wanting to have more fun at the expense of a dead man.

James died?

Diners and a certain someone's projection of his own **** aside, no issue...except yesterday's other attempts at starting a thread were so lame, I came close to asking about everyone's favorite 5 weight.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.