Wireless Routers

2»

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Too much pressure, I'm going to end up squealing like a little girl, I just know it.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,326 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    following the links in the article bring me to how to make a cantenna in order to access free interwebs

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Cantenna

There are people that do this with a Pringle's can and they drive around picking up wireless signals, stealing people's data. It is called Wardriving. Which is why I suggested that you do not use WEP, very crackable, use WPA 2 if you have it and do not broadcast your SSID.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I hate Pringles
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    How does one broadcast an STD? Are there pictures?
    Jamespio wrote: »
    Too much pressure, I'm going to end up squealing like a little girl, I just know it.

This is your motto.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,914 Senior Member
    Thanks James. I had bad luck with refurbished routers (two that never powered up). Your post got me off my ****. I stopped at Target on the way home and got a $30 Belkin. Now I need a new battery (mine lasts maybe an hour), but I have a hundred foot extension cord for the laptop and a fifty-footer for the external hard drive. I'm no longer tied to the desk where the desktop PC is located. I can now sit on my deck and watch the birds while I'm at the Lodge chatting with the squirrels.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Hey James, I forgot to circle around and ask how you like this router... But I bought it last night. Sweet marmalade were you right... Easiest setup ever.
    I think James should have rebuilt one ordered from some guy living in Tennessee, and store it outdoors next to the Airstream to properly "season".
    more importantly does it have enough range to stream **** to the Airstream?
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,914 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    more importantly does it have enough range to stream **** to the Airstream?
    A250_130099022955082025C6ywSWWjcR.jpg
    this will help if he doesn't have the range
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    no it wont

had one it was a complete POS
    Hextall wrote: »
    Hey James, I forgot to circle around and ask how you like this router... But I bought it last night. Sweet marmalade were you right... Easiest setup ever.

I'm still quite happy with mine. One of my kids set up a Minecraft server and how hosts games, I was worried that was just going to swamp us, but the router appears to do a good job of splitting resources.
    Do you use both bands? Joe mentioned streaming on the 5g band upthread, which I'm thinking of getting a Roku box when and if I ever upgrade my internet speeds.

Anybody have any insight on the 5g band? I've read some that people can move their devices to the 5ghz band if there's a lot of other wifi networks on the 2.4ghz. I'm not exactly sure what "a lot of other wifi networks" means... 5... a dozen... 30?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,945 Senior Member
    Do you use both bands? Joe mentioned streaming on the 5g band upthread, which I'm thinking of getting a Roku box when and if I ever upgrade my internet speeds.

Anybody have any insight on the 5g band? I've read some that people can move their devices to the 5ghz band if there's a lot of other wifi networks on the 2.4ghz. I'm not exactly sure what "a lot of other wifi networks" means... 5... a dozen... 30?

All depends if the device accessing the route has 5ghz band capability. 2 of the devices in my home offer a connection to one or the other. This may help you a little...

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/5-pros-and-cons-to-5-ghz-wi-fi-routers.html
    So do you connect to the 5GHz band? what type of devices?

Like I said... I'm probably going to get a Roku box soon, and the Roku 3 looks like the best option. It has can connect to the 5GHz signal. I guess I need to figure out if the one I bought can do 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11n simultaneously.
    As far as I know, nothing I own has 5GHz capability. SWMBO's iPad might, not sure. Really wish the Xbox did, since that's what I use for streaming from Amazon, Hulu, etc., and I do get occasional, brief, buffering delays.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,945 Senior Member
    So do you connect to the 5GHz band? what type of devices?

Like I said... I'm probably going to get a Roku box soon, and the Roku 3 looks like the best option. It has can connect to the 5GHz signal. I guess I need to figure out if the one I bought can do 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11n simultaneously.

I have a Sony media player and a Panasonic media player that give me the choice to connect to either the 2.4 or 5 during network set up utility. They are both set to connect at 5.

The older laptop in the house connects to 2.4 802.11g.

Just recently bought a Lenovo All in One and that also connects to the 2.4 but at 802.11n. Was surprised that the Lenovo didn't give me an option somewhere to connect to the 5ghz band. After doing some research, I discovered the network card in the Lenovo was the lower end which probably is partly the reason I only paid $480 for a 23" all in one.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.