Replies

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Maybe. Obama and the dems certainly never thought a deal would not be met. But I wonder if when the cuts start really hitting the military bases things will still get dicey for the repubs.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I think "lose their ****" overstates it a little, but, yeah, they miscalculated, then the Admin tried to overplay the hand, and the voters just don't give a dam. That said, the whole debacle merely demonstrates that the GOPers in Congress are more intransigent and less dissatisfied with the status quo than are the Dems. I think the Dems are miscalculating in that regard, also. The voting public doesn't want major change, not right now. I think most people are cautiously trying to wait for real economic recovery, waiting to see what the Affordable Care Act really does, if anything, to health care financing, and otherwise would like to see things remain calm as we disengage from our wars. In that setting, Dems would be smart to seek small change, and to spend more time building a case for change. They relied on sequestration as a threat to carry their agenda, and the threat was too small in comparison to an agenda that was bigger than GOPers were willing to swallow.
    Clearly, Obama has been embarassed.

He argued that even this initial level of sequestration would be devastating. When the public and Republicans didn't buy it, the sequestration went into effect.

The FAA then became a tool to show that Obama was right. But the President totally overplayed his hand. His bluff was called because nobody bought:

1) That a 4% cut couldn't be made up by cutting waste;
    2) That a 4% cut should really result in 40% of all flights being delayed;
    3) That the FAA couldn't operate on the same budget it had in 2010.
    4) That the FAA had to furlough everybody equally. So essential personnel were furloughed just like non-essential personnel and personnel at airports like JFK, LGA, ORD, LAX, BOS etc., had to be furloughed like personnel at much smaller airports in the middle of nowhere.

Number 4 was particularly important. This was an FAA choice as I understand it, not something it had to do under the sequestration law.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,971 Senior Member
    Obama still has not shown that he can play hardball. He seems to cling to the risible belief that if he acts reasonably the GOP House also will.

Big Mistake.

He should have closed towers, furloughed all agricultural inspectors and corporate/farm welfare dispensers in Tea Party Districts. That's the sort of hardball that might make knuckle-dragging righties willing to find a reasonable compromise.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    George K wrote: »
    Obama still has not shown that he can play hardball. He seems to cling to the risible belief that if he acts reasonably the GOP House also will.

Big Mistake.

He should have closed towers, furloughed all agricultural inspectors and corporate/farm welfare dispensers in Tea Party Districts. That's the sort of hardball that might make knuckle-dragging righties willing to find a reasonable compromise.

That would have been so obvious that any hope of ever interacting with the House GOP would be dashed.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,971 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    That would have been so obvious that any hope of ever interacting with the House GOP would be dashed.

Could it get much worse than it is now?

Sometime obvious is good, as is using the big stick. We've had several years of object lessons on the intractability of House ideologues.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,897 Senior Member

...And this would be different then the current relationship in what way?

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

George K wrote: »
    Could it get much worse than it is now?

Sometime obvious is good, as is using the big stick. We've had several years of object lessons on the intractability of House ideologues.

He couldn't even do it, even if he wanted to, I'm sure.

He shot his wad. And, if in 5 months, ObamaCare turns out to be the "trainwreck" that Max Baucus has now said it is going to be, the President is toast.
    ...And this would be different then the current relationship in what way?

Apparently, the President is actually hopeful that he won't be George Bush in his second term.
    The President is pretty much done anyway. He just used all his capital from the election on gun control and got nada. That's akin to W blowing it all on Social Security reform.
    He makes one bad play and Steven thinks he can write him off for the next 4 years. That's laughable. You think **** is a better player than Obama? The **** won a game, hasn't even won a set yet, much less a match. Over the past 4 years only one thing has changed in any significant way: Obamacare is now law. I score that Obama 1, **** 0.
    Jim thinks want is the same as desire (see what I did there?)

Boehner's a much better player than Obama could ever hope to be.

Hell, Obama isn't even the player GWB was (despite his grades). Obama barely got healthcare through and only because Rogers caved. W got two tax cuts and Part D.

Now what's Obama gonna do? Gun control ain't happening. Immigration? Not without the Republicans. Tax reform? That's a laugh.

Let's face it. He's dead in the water domestically. Maybe he'll go solve the Arab-Israeli dilemma.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,122 Senior Member
    HE GOT HEALTHCARE THROUGH!!!!!!

Please like that wasn't the achievement of your lifetime.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,419 Senior Member
    HE GOT HEALTHCARE THROUGH!!!!!!

Please like that wasn't the achievement of your lifetime.

Achievement. Funny word, that.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,897 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Achievement. Funny word, that.

The word sheep is pretty funny too.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Yes, Steven, you must be right, you are always right, even when you what you say is things like "**** is a better political player than OBama.' Whatever you say, dear.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    He just used all his capital from the election on gun control and got nada. That's akin to W blowing it all on Social Security reform.

But you know I bet few of us really feel that W's efforts on SS reform was his largest failing. The Presidents effort on Gun control at least had a clear majority of the American people on his side. His failure, while real, was shared`by Millions of Americans. I don't recall just who W had on his side with the SS effort, Wall Street perhaps.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
    those guys over at Jefferson High are real dumb-dumbs
    Jamespio wrote: »
    Yes, Steven, you must be right, you are always right, even when you what you say is things like "**** is a better political player than OBama.' Whatever you say, dear.

Bless his heart.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Yes Buffy because getting Senators to vote for a tax cut is so ****ing difficult and he still couldn't make them permanent because he couldn't get filibuster proof majority.
    Also Steven let us not forget he got his tax hike that one is a ten points in difficulty trick.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.