Hey guys, let's talk about this today

HextallHextall Senior MemberPosts: 9,520 Senior Member
"Pi is an infinite, nonrepeating decimal - meaning that every possible number combination exists somewhere in pi. Converted into ASCII text, somewhere in that infinite string of digits is the name of every person you will ever love, the date, time, and manner of your death, and the answers to all the great questions of the universe. Converted into a bitmap, somewhere in that infinite string of digits is a pixel-perfect representation of the first thing you saw on this earth, the last thing you will see before your life leaves you, and all the moments, momentous and mundane, that will occur between those two points."

ok... go!

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,633 Senior Member
    I like French silk pie. Or apple pie. Good sweet potato pie is fine, too.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I think the Life of Pi was way overrated..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Did you ever date this nice lady?

On 18 June in 1980, she solved the multiplication of two 13-digit numbers 7,686,369,774,870 x 2,465,099,745,779 that were randomly picked by the computer department of Imperial College in London. And this, she did in 28 seconds flat. Her correct answer to this multiplication sum was 18,947,668,177,995,426,462,773,730 setting up a Guinness Record.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/1825300/report-rip-shakuntala-devi-math-genius-who-once-had-to-drop-out-of-school-because-her-parents-couldn-t-afford-fee-of-rs-2
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Two hits of Orange Sunshine can do the same thing without out all the math.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Hex, what is the source of your quote? I like it.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I read a slate article this morning where this quote was in the lede... which was reply in a discussion on reddit: What is the most mindblowing sentence you can think of?"

And the 30 seconds I thought about it... yeah... it's pretty cool and mindblowing.
    Its either evidence for the anthropomorphic origin of the universe, or...its not. Crap.
    Also, I like how physicists no longer use the term "energy" when expressing cosmological phenomena. It is now "information", as in the "conservation of information".
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,913 Senior Member
    Can one of you brainiacs take a quick peek into this formula and get me the power-ball numbers for next week.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,914 Senior Member
    The answer is 22/7.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    Can one of you brainiacs take a quick peek into this formula and get me the power-ball numbers for next week.

It's encoded in fractals so you're going to need a Partica LA-950 Laser Diffraction Particle Size Distribution Analyzer to decode the numbers. Or a flux capacitor.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • oc stomiasoc stomias Senior Member Posts: 348 Senior Member
    That is pretty wild. I wonder if anyone has actually tried this. What kind of messages and pictures did they find?

OMG, i just ran the algorithm, it starts with 4-20...
    oc stomias wrote: »
    That is pretty wild. I wonder if anyone has actually tried this. What kind of messages and pictures did they find?

I believe we only know pi to 10 trillion digits... It's also unproven that pi is a normal base 10 number (i.e. every digit is represented equally... 10% of the numbers are 0's... 10% are 1's... etc), which is required for complete randomness. So it has that going for it.

is 10 trillion numbers enough to pull out an image/message? only pi knows.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    I read a slate article this morning where this quote was in the lede... which was reply in a discussion on reddit: What is the most mindblowing sentence you can think of?"

And the 30 seconds I thought about it... yeah... it's pretty cool and mindblowing.

I'm just not sure it's accurate. Pi is indeed irrational, and hence goes out to an infinite number of places -- and non repeating. But I'm not sure it follows that any arbitrary length run of digits can be found in it. However, now I may need to go find out, when time permits.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,913 Senior Member
    ouzelpro wrote: »

Check again, that's just the solution to all the worlds problems. I need something of value.
    Check again, that's just the solution to all the worlds problems. I need something of value.

Solid work.
  • oc stomiasoc stomias Senior Member Posts: 348 Senior Member
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    only the 42 part is meaningful.

if you look a little farther, you'll see the message "so long and thanks for all the fish."
  • Don NewtonDon Newton Senior Member Posts: 431 Senior Member
    "Pi is an infinite, nonrepeating decimal - meaning that every possible number combination exists somewhere in pi. Converted into ASCII text, somewhere in that infinite string of digits is the name of every person you will ever love, the date, time, and manner of your death, and the answers to all the great questions of the universe. Converted into a bitmap, somewhere in that infinite string of digits is a pixel-perfect representation of the first thing you saw on this earth, the last thing you will see before your life leaves you, and all the moments, momentous and mundane, that will occur between those two points."

ok... go!

Hex, this is mostly putting a bunch of monkeys on keyboards and allow them to bang away. Eventually something of sense will show up on the 'puter and quickly go back to gibberish. You mus be bored today. :(
    Don Newton wrote: »
    this is mostly putting a bunch of monkeys on keyboards and allow them to bang away.

How is this not the description to the Lodge? Who's running this hogshow!?!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,306 Senior Member
    All this talk pisses me off, because I can't math.

The math portion is the reason I scored a 1050 on my SAT.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    How is this not the description to the Lodge? Who's running this hogshow!?!

My thought exactly. And like Pi, we are irrational and will go on forever without end.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.